Are prisoners all supposed to be avid readers?

At least nine of the last ten prison cells I hacksawed my way into held nothing but books in their cells. No shivs, no contraband, nothing besides samurai novels, poetry, and philosophy.

These prisons in real life are a den of savagery, rampant drugs and violence.

Hell, there weren’t even zombies in the prison. Just books. The criminal justice system in cataclysm is nothing but a Michael Dukakis revolving door nightmare, I say!

Actually, most inmates spend most of their time reading. Most prisons have libraries, and even if they don’t there are usually book trucks that come, so A LOT Of inmates read. I mean…what else is there to do?

Source: I’ve never been incarcerated myself, but I know a handful or two of people who have, they all said they read most of the time.

Fair enough. But books are ALL they have in cells. And I can’t find the item group that refers to it. Anyone know where the prison item spawns are held in the files?

“Extensive” testing reveals that prison spawns pull from the item group “novels”.

It would seem so. If someone would be kind enough to commit a separate “prison” item spawn group in the next update, it’d be appreciated.

Well, from my experience, it’s not inaccurate to have incarcerated folks reading. Prison guards don’t actually want to live Oz and other such shows. I imagine the prisoners themselves don’t either.

Experience: knows folks who’ve been incarcerated

I’m all for prison cells having a rare shot at spawning a ‘contraband’ item group that might include a shiv or some drugs.

It’s a fun thing that makes sense, plus it would provide a nice payoff for the looting-type players.

Yeah, a second contraband item group for beds would be nice. Not just in prisons, but elsewhere too. A lot of people store shit in beds.

WHO THE HELL STORES DRUGS IN THEIR BEDS?

You’d be surprised what people store under their mattresses. Not just drugs, but cash, lotto tickets, thin valuables. It happens,

I read it in Abbie Hoffman’s book, “Steal this book”, and “Surviving Prison”. That one had no listed author…

I’m also surprised that hospital beds/rooms have nothing in them, not even books.

OK, the Contraband PR made it in and there’s a Counter-Contraband PR to standardize the prison armories.

I’ll see about hospital rooms tomorrow.

Awesome, KA.
Is there any chance I could get this code I altered put in as a pull request as well? I know this is off topic, but if you’re the magic man, the person who can get things done in the code, I figured this was a good time to ask.

I wanted to make it so that meth was more realistic. If this code works like I think it should, it ought to make meth injectable with a chance of causing infection as well. Please tell me if this is functional, and if so, would you kindly add it? I want to be part of the community.

[code]}

int iuse::meth(player *p, item *it, bool t) {
int duration = 5 * (10 );
if (p->has_amount(“apparatus”, 1) && p->use_charges_if_avail(“fire”, 1)) {
g->add_msg_if_player(p,(“You smoke your impure meth. The world speeds up, slightly, and you taste burning plastic.”));
duration *= (p->has_trait(“LIGHTWEIGHT”) ? 1.8 : 1.5);
} else {
if (p->has_amount(“syringe”, 1) && p->use_charges_if_avail(“fire”, 1)) {
g->add_msg_if_player(p,
(“You inject meth you cooked in a jug. Your heart races.”));
duration *= (p->has_amount(“syringe”, 1) ? 3.8 : 3.5);
p->add_disease(“infection”, rng(10, 20));
} else {
g->add_msg_if_player(p,_(“You snort some of the worst shabu-shabu you’ve ever had. Your nostrils are bleeding.”));
}
if (!p->has_disease(“meth”)) {
duration += 450;
}
if (duration > 0) {
int hungerpen = (p->str_cur < 10 ? 20 : 30 - p->str_cur);
p->hunger -= hungerpen;
p->add_disease(“meth”, duration);
}
return it->type->charges_to_use();

}[/code]

People also inject cocaine. John Belushi died from such a thing.

}

int iuse::coke(player *p, item *it, bool t) {
    g->add_msg_if_player(p,_("You snort a bump of coke."));
    int duration = 21 - p->str_cur + rng(0,10);
    if (p->has_trait("LIGHTWEIGHT")) {
        duration += 20;
    } else {
    if (p->has_amount("syringe", 1) && p->use_charges_if_avail("fire", 1)) {
        g->add_msg_if_player(p,_("You shoot up, injection site numb, heart beating like a race horse."));
        duration *= (p->has_amount("syringe", 1) ? 3.8 : 3.5);
        p->add_disease("infection", rng(10, 20));
    }
    p->hunger -= 8;
    p->add_disease("high", duration);
    return it->type->charges_to_use();
}

WHO THE HELL STORES DRUGS IN THEIR BEDS?[/quote]

I HID HOSS UNDER MINE FOR LIKE A MONTH.

Lol joking. I like the books spawning as it is, but yeah, a contraband pool of significant rarity/uncommon-ness would add a bit more flavour to prisons and a couple other places as well. Excited about the progress in this thread :smiley:

Until the container system is reworked and we can put the drugs in their proper place, inside rectal cavities, l guess it’ll have to be tucked in the mattress.

On a realistic note: cigarettes function as currency in prison, so if they’re not regularly spawning in cells it should be added.

Until the container system is reworked and we can put the drugs in their proper place, inside rectal cavities, l guess it’ll have to be tucked in the mattress.

On a realistic note: cigarettes function as currency in prison, so if they’re not regularly spawning in cells it should be added.[/quote]Yep, backing this up.