Anyone figured out how to harvest resin pods from mi-go towers? (2nd floor) [10845]

Ty ty, I have to thank everyone here for supplying enough info for me to understand how this all works.

Oh well, that was basically the plan I had, just with a ramp up at the side of the building and some explosives to get in. I wasn’t sure if heat/cold could move up/down stairs, so I wanted everything on one level.
…So… I guess I can now stop to gather material to test that…
Welp, 6 hours of sleep/work wasted…

Well, if this ever changes, you’d have to construct the vehicle outside with the cooler right up at the (until you reach it closed) door.
Than you can stand next to the cooler to install the next frame, move the cooler one space, move yourself, install the next frame… So it’s possible to move slowly along while constructing it, keeping cool.

If you install cart handles instead, you’ll only use 50 seconds and 1 pipe each (and a welder/toolset with enough charges). You could also use yoke and harnesses for the same time bonus and no welder usage, but it’ll need a lot of material and preparation beforehand. Just remember to install frames for the muffler (probably your starter frame) and the cooler.
Also, you don’t need a dashboard; you can run in, turn the cooler on (at the tile you’ve installed it) and get back out without getting warm.

PS: You could also define a construction zone over the pods (with deconstruct blueprint) and let a NPC do the work, if you have one (they might run around for a while to dodge the heat, but sometimes they start deconstructing if they are close enough to one of the pods)…

1 Like

What kind of explosive payload do you need to puncture those walls? I don’t supposed shaped charges are a thing?

Sonic resonator works. Probably some explosives should work, too, but I didn’t test it.

Doesn’t that mean the sonic resonator can also destroy scarred_lumps (str_min 250)? I don’t think it’s precise enough in this application (pods are much weaker), but that’s a handy thing to know if true. It would make “claiming” a migo tower as your own a possibility (at least… I think). That would be a really cool project to try out. Until the resin pod charges bug is fixed, that’s your best shot at having your own resin fortification.

just tested, doesn’t look like SR can destroy it. It definitely destroys resin walls and those prison cell doors, though.

Ah, yeah it is described as being destructive to walls specifically. I guess that makes sense. A shame. I’m pretty sure the prison cells can be bashed down (str_min 70, I think?). If you’re strong enough to use a heavy sledge that’ll be more than enough.

Sadly, no. I know, it was my own suggestion in an other thread, but testing shows that - while a sonic resonator CBM destroys resin portals, resin lined holes, resin cages and all “furniture” (at least after a few tries) - it will not destroy scarred lumps, resin walls or resin floors.

Improvised demolition charge is not enough, but I was sucessful with a black gunpowder charge once. Retesting it now however shows that I probably lucked out back then, since I’m unable to recreate that situation.
You could use an ANFO/RDX charge, but that seems a bit overkill.
A M72 LAW or RPG-7 does the job well. It tears a hole into the wall where it hits and does not destroy the ground underneath it (unless you use PG-7VR 64mm/105mm rocket ammunition).
Even a crude rocket launcher with an explosive homemade rocket has enough power to tear down the wall.

Just always do it from the outside on the wall of that small room with the seperate door (close it beforehand), so you don’t damage any pods while busting through.

Is there changing ZLevel view and targeting yet?

Yes. But you’ll have to turn on Experimental 3D field of vision in the Debug category in the game options.

1 Like

Ughhh I think the recent mi-go structure re-balance broke this solution. You get an appropriate amount of pod(s) from each deconstruct, but not as charges. I can barely haul two out at a time and each cargo space can’t hold more than 10-11. However, the bigger issue is that coolers aren’t doing much of anything anymore, I don’t really know why. I am 10 days later in spring but if that’s making most of the difference, trying to cool it is a massive waste of effort.

I’m noticing a modest difference on the 1st floor (two coolers running for several hours), but not enough to prevent scorching before I’m even halfway done with a pod. The 2nd floor temp is now basically unchanged. Everything about this is frustrating. I’ve wasted so much time with the assumption this was a usable feature.

Can more coolers have a significant effect? I’m willing to try it if ~2 or more coolers might work, but I’ll definitely test it with debug cheats first. Learned my lesson for sure.

Nope nope nope. Just don’t even bother. I installed a cooler on the 1st floor ramp and it’s been running for 6+ hours. In that time I have added coolers in the immediate vicinity (total of 4). I’ve circled the pathetically small effect range (distribution of cold air). It averages a ~10 degree difference, not nearly enough. I need 60+ pods to add a room to my base, probably just going to spawn them in, as much as I wanted to do it myself.

And here’s what the 1st floor looks like in case you’re wondering if it’s worth the extra effort it would take to deploy on the 2nd floor. This is still more than enough to scorch you before you’re halfway done with a pod, (even with CC CBM and Rm13 powered). Those 108 temps are not consistent, they don’t last more than a second or so at a time.

And bear in mind that this time I gathered and crafted everything myself (spawned two more coolers at the end to check if 4 made any difference). This represents a solid in-game day of prep. Not the most encouraging results.

Yeah if you want to wait until winter, it’s probably more doable on winter nights, at least on the 1st and 2nd floors. But that can be a loooong wait, by then I think the utility of the resin ports isn’t worth it anymore.

always kind of wondered why we couldn’t construct something like a stand-alone wood based swamp cooler, or something similar, that would allow you to pick it up (with high weight) and place it down somewhere hot (like a mi-go tower), lowering the overall temperature enough that its survivable, if not thriveable… could also be a low-tech alternative for early characters in the summer.