Ants should be less edible

Giant ants provide a trivial pretty much unlimited source of food at the moment. And, well, have you ever smelled crushed ants? They’re not going to be tasty.

Suggestion: Butchered ants produce ‘acrid meat’. This can be cooked and eaten, but with substantial negative Enjoyability and a chance of throwing up.

Well technically insects have rather nutritious meat extremely rich in protein yada yada.

If ants are too weak I’m far more interested in making their delicious meats harder to get than devaluing them. I think they haven’t been updated since some of the gun adjustments, they may bear some looking at.

Ants aren’t that hostile… Last time I faced them.

They’re nutritious, yes. But ants are brim-full of formic acid. Not remotely tasty, and chronic exposure can be toxic (blindness, kidney damage).

Their venom glands are full of formic acid, but most folks don’t make a habit of eating the poison sacs out of their prey.

Probably a problem with scent-based targeting. Scent is great for general homing but folks who rely on it (insects, mostly) tend to have trouble locking on and attacking IME.

Good point, giant ants are big enough that you can cut them out.

I can inform you that they (or at least the little black ones) taste exactly the way that they smell (has eaten several black ants by accident due to a colony living in our dining room roof).

That said with big ones you should be able to cut out the venom sacks, maybe as an additional butchering result?

[size=24pt][b][color=red]D:[/size]

I can inform you that they (or at least the little black ones) taste exactly the way that they smell (has eaten several black ants by accident due to a colony living in our dining room roof).[/quote]

Weaver ants here in Australia aren’t too bad to eat in an emergency, amazingly enough. The bastards are rich in protein, they don’t attack you too bad, and taste a little bit like citric acid. The larvae are pretty good to eat if you’re stranded, if someone difficult to dig out.

[size=24pt][b][color=red]D:[/size][/quote]

Have I mentioned the time I was eating ramen only to discover that the black seasoning was bits of insect (ants or flies, can’t remember) after eating half the bowl?

Yeah, you did.

I guess that’s the nice thing about them tasting so terrible; you know exactly when you eat one by accident and could never do something like that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Make team ants faster, and give at least the soldiers poisonous attacks; generally, make them about as dangerous as swamp wildlife (or at least how that used to be in older versions?). That ought to bring them up to par.