Allusions (spoilers inside)

Hi!
I noticed CDDA has quite some allusions to other works, be it games, stories or movies or whatever.

I just tell you that CDDA has allusions but I won’t tell you which I’ve found. Unless … unless you click on one of the “spoiler” buttons below.
Warning, opening the non-harmless spoilers below would not only spoil the game experience of CDDA but also spoil other works. Since we are talking about allusions here!
I will seperate the spoilers into 3 categories. Harmless spoilers are almost no spoilers at all, those contain information you would have found out very early anyways and aren’t particulary surprising/shocking as well. Your eyes WOULD PROBABLY NOT bleed. The serious spoilers introduce stuff of the game or other works you would probably have like to be found yourselves. Your eyes MAY bleed. The extremely serious spoilers are about stuff you should not know till very late in a story. In a game, they may come close to cheating. Your eyes WOULD bleed.

[ul][*]There is a profession called “Hitchhiker”. You start with a towel and an exemplar of “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Cataclysm”. This is not an ordinary book, if you read it, you get a random hint. This is a very obvious allusion to “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”.[/ul]

[ul][]In the subways there are rarely enemies called “subwayman”. The description describes those as “C.H.U.D.s”: Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller. This is the title of a novel. Apparently CDDA loves cannibals. :smiley:
[
]The description of an enemy called “Shia LeBeouf” is clearly from Actual Cannibal Shia LeBeouf.
[]CDDA has jackhammers and jaqueshammers. The jaqueshammer is the “French” jackhammer. If you use it, it makes “OHOHOHOHOHOHO (…)”. This is a joke as seen (for example) in Family Guy: http://youtu.be/JqnPlH7Aol4
[
]“Jabberwock” sounds like a allusion to a poem called “Jabberwocky” from the story “Through the Looking-Glass”.[/ul]

[ul][*]The description of the permanent marker says that writing “Elbereth” on the ground would’t help you. That’s clearly an allusion to NetHack, because if you write down that word in THAT game, it WOULD help you, by warding off most monsters. The word itself is another allusion: It’s the nickname of a character from the Lord of the Rings saga.[/ul]

If you have found other allusions, please post them. You SHOULD use spoiler tags.

Well, the shikshebab is clearly an allusion to the Fallout series.

So we’re just listing references? Um… ok.

Yes.
Do you have a problem with that? :wink:

Well then:

“Under the Hood” Was the name of Hollis Mason’s autobiography form Watchmen.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:5, topic:4336”]Well then:

[/quote]

The canibal version is more ammusing.

“It’s first name may have just been Oscar.” if I remember right.

If I recall correctly, the Pneumatic Assault Rifle and Pneumatic Bolt Driver are references to Metro 2033, the Tihar ball bearing gun and the Hellsing pneumatic crossbow, respectively.
For visual reference:

[quote=“Datanazush, post:8, topic:4336”]If I recall correctly, the Pneumatic Assault Rifle and Pneumatic Bolt Driver are references to Metro 2033, the Tihar ball bearing gun and the Hellsing pneumatic crossbow, respectively.
For visual reference:

[/quote]BUT THERE’S NO BASHTURD GUN

Digging stick should have this:
Drawing a circle on the ground won’t protect you from bears.

Lul if you get this.

It wouldn’t be as funny, but it something similar could go on briefs too.

[quote=“Datanazush, post:8, topic:4336”]If I recall correctly, the Pneumatic Assault Rifle and Pneumatic Bolt Driver are references to Metro 2033, the Tihar ball bearing gun and the Hellsing pneumatic crossbow, respectively.
For visual reference:

[/quote]I believe the Shotgun Revolver was also said to have been based upon the (non-heavy) Automatic Shotgun from the same game.

[hr]

Huh…No ones listed it…

Theres a granade (yes, you read that right), it has a tag on it with the name “kevin” I wonder who couldve added that in

The whole game is built on references. I can think of too many to count. After all, it’s a melting pot of various cataclysmic scenarios from various sources, fictitious and otherwise, all mashed up together into one.

[quote=“AerialK7, post:12, topic:4336”]Huh…No ones listed it…

Theres a granade (yes, you read that right), it has a tag on it with the name “kevin” I wonder who couldve added that in

While I’m at it:

The description on the baseball reads “Getting hit by one hurts a lot more than you would think”, which is a reference to Dungeons of Dredmor where the softballs have a similar description.

[quote=“BadSniper, post:11, topic:4336”][quote=“Datanazush, post:8, topic:4336”]If I recall correctly, the Pneumatic Assault Rifle and Pneumatic Bolt Driver are references to Metro 2033, the Tihar ball bearing gun and the Hellsing pneumatic crossbow, respectively.
For visual reference:

[/quote]I believe the Shotgun Revolver was also said to have been based upon the (non-heavy) Automatic Shotgun from the same game.

[hr][/quote][quote=“Datanazush, post:8, topic:4336”]If I recall correctly, the Pneumatic Assault Rifle and Pneumatic Bolt Driver are references to Metro 2033, the Tihar ball bearing gun and the Hellsing pneumatic crossbow, respectively.
For visual reference:

There’s also the shotgun-pistol from Last Light.

I’m sort of surprised that nobody thought to add any of them to the subway spawn list.

[quote=“asdfzxc, post:15, topic:4336”]I’m sort of surprised that nobody thought to add any of them to the subway spawn list.[/quote]Or add nosalises to spawn down there. And Librarians, which should be fairly self-explanatory.

www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=One-eyed_mutant

Purple hair and one eye?
Obvious Futurama reference.

Have me mentioned the amigara horrors, the thing, triffids and fungaloids?

Might not be allusions, exactly, but yeah.