Interesting References you found

off the top of my head:
Current play through, I checked my craft menu and noticed it said I could make improvised lockpicks, looked at the description and noticed it mentioned MacGyver!
same playthrough, dead zombie had a Linux t-shirt on Advertising Ubuntu, whelp, I guess Linux is dead now :stuck_out_tongue:
also, Hospital Scenario, possible The Walking Dead Reference with how it starts with Rick waking up in a abandoned Hospital after being in a coma from being shot

Try using tools on yourself.

Not really a reference but rather a direct shout-out - Amigara Horrors.
Also the “dog”.

I’ve found several Mobile Meth Labs (a variation on the RV) with a “pork pie hat” in the front seat. Upon looking up what a pork pie hat actually is, I learned that it’s the style that Heisenberg popularized in Breaking Bad.

Zombies in the barn on farms = walking dead reference.

Room filled with water in labs = resident evil (1st movie) reference

Irradiated Wanderers = fallout series

Spitters, boomers, smokers = left4dead
(Witches when? "You hear a woman crying from the northwest"
Saving game… )

Mi gos = cthullu mythos reference

Aluminum can of orange soda = real life reference

orange soda just ruins the immersion. I get that it’s a reference to a popular MMO but it doesn’t fit Cata’s lore at all.

What’s with orange soda?

…Pretty sure nothing?

There’s a markiplier reference in the Animatronic monsters.

I guess none of y’all have bothered to check the descriptions on the sports jerseys?

Doesn’t work without z-levels, no Roof Attack. And I’m not familiar with most of the others :frowning: .

Do references to us forum members count?

Fishing bowl. The description says there is “a fish with horns in it. A message on it says: To Ed, from Harv” Or something like that.

after watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBkpBucYqe0 and looking up boomers, I found out they are from L4D

As are Spitters and Smokers.

I have literally drunk orange soda in real life, how could that possibly ruin immersion?

Some of the survivor notes have references, I’ve been collecting them. Lots of references to The Walking Dead, other zombie movies, and Cthulhu. Decided I might as well spoiler these:

Some guy is walking through the horde without a scratch. Please tell me they’re docile now. Please fucking tell me.

The Green Fever shall purge the land for His Chosen Children. I have seen His black fire shining in the eyes of the afflicted and eagerly await the day He shall consume us all. Ph’nglui mglw Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.

There’s even references to earlier versions of CDDA: “My friend gave me lit dynamite, but is hasn’t exploded yet… I don’t think that’s supposed to happen. God help us.”

And nobody has even mentioned Thriller Zombie or Triffids?

It’s obviously a reference to the TV show Keenan and Kel.
Absolutely immersion destroying.

Everything is ok as long as you don’t get lemon-lime instead of orange one.

Everything is ok as long as you don’t get lemon-lime instead of orange one.[/quote]
That link is really broken.

Lobotomizer old world blues(fallout new vegas) references. At least it seems highly unlikely someone would add that without the intent of having it refer to fallout.

The lobotomizer? That’s a World War Z reference. The book anyway, never saw the movie. Basically the new military started converting their entrenchment tools into weapons, sort of an axe shovel. Thus why you can dig and cut down trees with it.

It was already mentioned, but boomers, spitters, smokers, and hulks are L4D zombie types.

Edit: The hospital scenario could also be a 28 Days Later reference. Seems somewhat fitting. The Walking Dead works too though.
Edit2: Also, the towel description is a Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy reference.
In addition to the above WWZ reference, Max Brook’s Zombie Survival Guide can be found. Ironically the game describes it as useless because of misinformation (the guide tells the reader that games and movies are filled with misinformation).
The Samurai Book’s description is a 7 Samurai reference, just as the Western Book’s description is a The Magnificent 7 reference. The adventure novel description is a nod to Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness. Hitchhiker’s Guide to The Cataclysm. Another reference to HGTTG. The Guy Fawkes Mask’s description is an Anonymous reference. The S&W 629 makes a small “Dirty Harry” reference, and the .44 Magnum ammunition description mentions the movie by name. Finally, the last I think I know is that the Grabboids are a “Tremors” reference.