Albino

I think albino should be available as a starting trait. It fits the category of “things people have in real life”

Unless it’s already been added, I haven’t seen it in the experimental version.

Well, how is it going to be used in game? It just makes you really white/pale.

[quote=“Bonevomit, post:1, topic:4767”]I think albino should be available as a starting trait. It fits the category of “things people have in real life”

Unless it’s already been added, I haven’t seen it in the experimental version.[/quote]

It’s a mutation.

The challenge here is that currently our Albino mutation makes you suffer burns in the sunlight instantly. Ideally a starting trait albino would be something worse then our Pale skin mutation so it would have some effect without mutation, but not as bad as the current albino mutation.

Not the pale skin mutation, the full albino mutation.

And the real albino mutation, not a watered down version of the original.

The thing is the current albino mutation doesn’t fit into “things that people have in real life”. Albinos sunburn extremely easily, yes, but they don’t writhe in pain just from being in the sunlight. We’d need something that had an effect but not a serious one for a starting trait.

That said for now you can always just edit your game to allow this, just open up the mutations.json file and add the line

to the middle of the albino mutation entry.

If you want this in a current world you might need to edit jsons in the world files if you are in a recent experimental, I’m not quite sure if/how the mod manager has changed the json loading methods right now.

The thing is the current albino mutation doesn't fit into "things that people have in real life". Albinos sunburn extremely easily, yes, but they don't writhe in pain just from being in the sunlight. We'd need something that had an effect but not a serious one for a starting trait.
Oh.

Could we have a mutation called albino that causes you to take very slow damage and a morale penalty in the sun, and rename this “melting” mutation to something else?

What exactly do the “pale” and “albino” traits do right now? I don’t usually go down those mutation lines.

A good starting trait variant might be morale penalties from sunlight. Not as backbreaking as getting Pain but still something the player wants to avoid. Possibly throw in some trait renames so we can call the starting trait “albino” and the later mutations like… “Ultraviolet allergic” or something.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:6, topic:4767”]
If you want this in a current world you might need to edit jsons in the world files if you are in a recent experimental, I’m not quite sure if/how the mod manager has changed the json loading methods right now.[/quote]

<grr!>

Better not have. I don’t need any more places to edit when I’m testing mutations*, nor to gen a new world every time I edit a json. Part of the point of the things was that you can just relaunch the executable and be good-to-go.

*Yes, json-editing happens during as well as before testing. It’s called “oops, problem, lemme fix”.

And as for the merits: yeah, I could make a trait that does Focus damage from being itchy (realistic sunburn) when in sunlight. That good?

PR’d.