Advice on mutagens?

I hadn’t really gone much beyond using it as ordinary thread - but given the volumes involved, you could probably make decent lengths of rope with it. It’s springy stuff, too - maybe allow it to be used instead of a rubber hose when building crossbows.

It looks reasonably far when I fire it up or down on the screen, actually. Also I just completely obliterated a wolf spider with it. So I have no god damn idea why a deer or moose is basically invulnerable to it. Then again, deer etc dodge my rifle bullets too.

Deer are pretty tough against ranged shots - they’re one of the few things that takes more than 2-3 shots for my archery character to bring down.

I don’t seem to even hit them. There are red blood dots but the game says I missed.

Deer and fraking hard to hit. Congrats if you killed one though.

That’s because the tiles themselves are rectangular, so they just appear farther. I don’t do tilesets here, but eventually I changed the basic letter tiles for Dwarf Fortress because I wanted my square rooms to be square.

Also, diagonals only factor realistically if you toggle that option, so you’ll get the most range from those directions.

Since this is a mutagen thread, just thought up a random question after looking at them…
IF you have Nictating Membranes, and Gills, can you build underwater!? If so that would be amazingly cool… I want a river fortress :confused:

I’d say beast is my favorite.

Insanely strong + Furry tail and fangs/claws and padded feet. With martial arts that kind of character is straight-up lethal.

Actually a thin silk robe would be a good idea – it would require a lot of silk though…

There’s an option: why don’t we make webs collectible as silk thread? we could use it as sinew/thread for sewing and, with enough silk thread you could make say, silk leggings, silk shirt and a silk robe?

It wouldn’t provide much warmth, but used as an under layer it would be a perfect cloth armour for preventing bites.
It’s been recorded that people shot with bows and crossbows that were wearing say, chain link over a silk shirt-- while the chain link was pierced, the silk beneath wasn’t– it was dragged into the wound with the arrowhead.

[quote=“Telkoth, post:27, topic:2901”]Since this is a mutagen thread, just thought up a random question after looking at them…
IF you have Nictating Membranes, and Gills, can you build underwater!? If so that would be amazingly cool… I want a river fortress :/[/quote]

Not yet. I think. Water’s getting worked on pretty slowly.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:29, topic:2901”]Actually a thin silk robe would be a good idea – it would require a lot of silk though…

There’s an option: why don’t we make webs collectible as silk thread? we could use it as sinew/thread for sewing and, with enough silk thread you could make say, silk leggings, silk shirt and a silk robe?

It wouldn’t provide much warmth, but used as an under layer it would be a perfect cloth armour for preventing bites.
It’s been recorded that people shot with bows and crossbows that were wearing say, chain link over a silk shirt-- while the chain link was pierced, the silk beneath wasn’t– it was dragged into the wound with the arrowhead.[/quote]

I’m curious about what would happen if the spidersilk suit was worn OVER something instead of under it. Say, over a powered exoskeleton or just a metal frame. If the silk layer was far enough from your body, surely it would be able to take an impact, stretch, and NOT end up inside you.

[quote=“DG123, post:31, topic:2901”][quote=“Iosyn, post:29, topic:2901”]Actually a thin silk robe would be a good idea – it would require a lot of silk though…

It’s been recorded that people shot with bows and crossbows that were wearing say, chain link over a silk shirt-- while the chain link was pierced, the silk beneath wasn’t– it was dragged into the wound with the arrowhead.[/quote]

I’m curious about what would happen if the spidersilk suit was worn OVER something instead of under it. Say, over a powered exoskeleton or just a metal frame. If the silk layer was far enough from your body, surely it would be able to take an impact, stretch, and NOT end up inside you.[/quote]
Well, it’s not infinitely springy. The reason it’s able to distort and stay intact in the cases Iosyn describes is that the projectile is also being slowed as it goes through armour and flesh.

Still, multiple interleaved layers of giant-spider-silk should make a pretty good stab-vest material, maybe even a kevlar substitute for repairing or crafting kevlar vests.

[quote=“DG123, post:31, topic:2901”][quote=“Iosyn, post:29, topic:2901”]Actually a thin silk robe would be a good idea – it would require a lot of silk though…

I’m curious about what would happen if the spidersilk suit was worn OVER something instead of under it. Say, over a powered exoskeleton or just a metal frame. If the silk layer was far enough from your body, surely it would be able to take an impact, stretch, and NOT end up inside you.[/quote]

Genghis Khan was once said to have issued all his horsemen with silk vests, as an arrow hitting silk does not break it but ends up embedded in the flesh wrapped in silk, allowing the arrow to be removed by gently teasing the silk open, as opposed to the usual method of removing barbed arrows, cutting them out or pushing them right through an injured limb and out of the other side. These silk vests functioned much like the padded armour used by European and Byzantine soldiers of the era, such as the gambeson.

As MarkB said. It’s still just silk. Worn over power armour would just mean it gets torn ragged without actually helping you, however it would be the perfect under-layer.

The idea of bulletproof silk clothing has a lot of precedence.

In the old west: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_vest#Bullet_resistant_silk
modern police forces: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/379338.stm
and an idea for bulletproof skin: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/med-tech/6-spider-silk-superpowers-2#slide-2
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/bullet-proof-skin-spider-silk_n_930389.html

So it could make sense putting it in game. On the other hand, creating cloth from silk would take a LONG time for our lonely survivor. All other clothes start with rags or patches. It’s pretty unrealistic to just whip out a silk vest by smashing a web, and I’m not sure we want to add in a loom and all the associated gear to make clothes from raw thread. The crafting component is already pretty crazy.

Maybe a possible future NPC thing where you give them silk, pay them a lot, and come back after a season to get your armor? Maybe a special factory building that has the right machines already? You have to provide the thread and power it up.

Speaking of protective clothing, I for one would like to see the addition of the ability to sew kevlar panels into clothing other than the kevlar vest.

Find a copy of sew what? Clothing! and sewing for designers – read 'em – and then you should be able to craft a survivor suit. there’s three version: light medium and heavy.

Find a copy of sew what? Clothing! and sewing for designers – read 'em – and then you should be able to craft a survivor suit. there’s three version: light medium and heavy.[/quote]
Is this a suggestion or?

Does this even exist?

In the experimental.

I dont mind web weaver since it helps you escape but then again all those webs get annoying. A separate interface like the bionic screen except for mutagens so you can activate laying down webs would be cool or so on. Guess that would only be useful though if there were tons of other mutations that you would be able to toggle though but would be neat if more were added then this could be a thing.

That or add a butt-plug so if you end up having web weaver then you could just plug it to prevent it going everywhere till it was needed/wanted lol…