Advanced Tips for the Accomplished Survivor

Holy necropost, Batman. o3o

yeah, but it’s a good necropost.

Make seasoned salt. You can stretch your salt or other supplies out quite a ways and seasoned salt can be made into broth. In the end, most of my characters end up surviving on vegetable aspic, sausage, and broth.

If you are playing an experiment scenario, choose the minor radioactivity draw back and the radiogenic good trait, cost of 0 (if I recall correctly) and HP will regenerate faster.

Good Genetics and Genetically unstable make a good combo for those who can’t be bothered by mutagen. (It can end up bad pretty fast too…)

Use a taser if you have lots of npcs at your disposal. You paralyze them and they beat them up to death.

Robust Genetics will likely be useful if you’re going to be flirting with Radiogenic though.

Also? Stats Through Skills. Set all stats to 4, set the world option to start at midnight. Boom. 16 free points.

Didn’t think about changing the start time but I started my current game w/ 4 int. and per. since the first day is spent running from zombies and scavenging no guns, reading or crafting involved.

Setting the start time to 0 will mean midnight, and thus prompt the mod’s stat calculation immediately. o3o

If playing with skill rust, make sure to keep some minor thing around to craft that doesn’t take all day/till your next skill starts rusting. Once the important skill are up, you only need to maintain until you can get a memory CBM.

I play with IntCap so things like computers and swimming I can read and forget about but I made a daily training training menu that uses all the skills I care about in about 10 in game minutes. (a good chunk of that time is spent in transit since my zombie pen is separated from my base for safety reasons)

If playing with skill rust it’s possible to become intelligent enough as to not rust your skills–by way of slime mutations.

What’s the magic number for that?

According to the wiki calculations, it would be 22 or 23 (depending on the way you read it), but that is likely to be out of date…

What’s the magic number for that?

According to the wiki calculations, it would be 22 or 23 (depending on the way you read it), but that is likely to be out of date…[/quote]

per my current drugged reading state int 22 has a skill rust of 1%

I considered skill rust too annoying to deal with. I’d rather just learn it and think of it as riding a bike. - You never forget how.

I understand the sentiment. The reason I know how to mod is because I wanted to turn skill rust off in DF. The only reason why i’m playing with it on is because I wanted to make this run a little more interesting but even then it’s capped. (also I felt I should play at-least once were I don’t take forgetful with skill rust off)

I tested a sling and found that it outclassed early ranged weapons like the atlatl and nail guns.
It did about 14-28 damage and both the ammunition and the weapon is super cheap.
The damage still stays despite skill level, strength or perception, etc.
It uses both the marksmanship and throwing skill.

[quote=“Rot, post:114, topic:9357”]I tested a sling and found that it outclassed early ranged weapons like the atlatl and nail guns.
It did about 14-28 damage and both the ammunition and the weapon is super cheap.
It uses both the marksmanship and throwing skill.[/quote]

See i’ve never even thought about using a sling because ‘pebbles, lol’. Proper slingers like the ones from ye olde olde times were super effective at killing grown men by hurling a rock 300 feet into someones skull. But when I think about a sling in the Cataclysm sense I think about something from Dennis the Menace instead of something that could legit kill something.

But if a sling is a proper killing device, then I might start using it as a stealth plinker to deal with nasties you don’t want to fight close up (shockers)

[quote=“deknegt, post:115, topic:9357”][quote=“Rot, post:114, topic:9357”]I tested a sling and found that it outclassed early ranged weapons like the atlatl and nail guns.
It uses both the marksmanship and throwing skill.[/quote]

See i’ve never even thought about using a sling because ‘pebbles, lol’. Proper slingers like the ones from ye olde olde times were super effective at killing grown men by hurling a rock 300 feet into someones skull. But when I think about a sling in the Cataclysm sense I think about something from Dennis the Menace instead of something that could legit kill something.

But if a sling is a proper killing device, then I might start using it as a stealth plinker to deal with nasties you don’t want to fight close up (shockers)[/quote]

^^^ My exact same reaction to the pebbles - just today I realized how good of a weapon this was after I tried it, now i’m spreading it as a early game or even a weapon for taking out strong zombies at a distance

EDIT - I found out that they aren’t very good with strong zombies at a distance. Stick to weak zeds like regular zombs or bloaters. Hulks, hazmats, etc take no or very little damage. Then again, if you are taking these zombies on you should have better equipment.

A good late game weapons is the pneumatic assault rifle. Ammo is easy to craft, and once you use the metal ammo your skill with rifles will shoot up quite fast, even with intcap and forgetful trait. It’s strong enough to kill a hulk… though the weapon has no effect on armored things - like tank bots and shoggoths.

I like to play with skill rust all the way on. Because it makes it feel more like I’ve “reached the next tier” when I progress onwards. Focus of mid-game becomes being able to install memory, and supporting CBMs as progressing to “late game” is “impossible” without it.

Not that I have gotten that far yet :confused:

Anyways. Flintlock rifles work well when used like a shotgun apparently. Killed two triffids, and two moose with 2 bullets each. Good for 1 on 1 encounters, but reload will kill you if used for anything more. Someone mentioned the (E)xplored item key on map interface. SOOO gald I read that. Much better than using flashing Notes everywhere to mark buildings looted.

[quote=“Litppunk, post:118, topic:9357”]I like to play with skill rust all the way on. Because it makes it feel more like I’ve “reached the next tier” when I progress onwards. Focus of mid-game becomes being able to install memory, and supporting CBMs as progressing to “late game” is “impossible” without it.

Not that I have gotten that far yet :confused:

Anyways. Flintlock rifles work well when used like a shotgun apparently. Killed two triffids, and two moose with 2 bullets each. Good for 1 on 1 encounters, but reload will kill you if used for anything more. Someone mentioned the (E)xplored item key on map interface. SOOO gald I read that. Much better than using flashing Notes everywhere to mark buildings looted.[/quote]

I gave up on skill rust when I spent a whole day in combat, killing things like crazy, until I was dead tired and quite hurt, manage to finally escape, find a place to sleep… and by morning, by combat skills are rusting. Um, sure, because we all forget WHAT WE DID YESTERDAY. Done with that.

Hmm. I suppose one could get rust in your “what I had for breakfast” skill overnight, but yeah. I haven’t bothered with skill rust much at all. Partly because I forget which versions can drain skill experience but not LEVELS.

And back on topic, I’m taking more and more of a liking to reach weapons.