Add some "throwing" items

Recently, I’ve taken a liking to throwing stuff. Knife spears, wooden javs, combat knifes and all of that. Yet I still feel something is missing. I’d rather like to see throwing items like throwing knifes, shurikens, axes and the like. It would be cool if they could be in the “Item Name” format. What I mean is whenever you find or make them, they’ll be in sets of 5. To add to this, being able to wield and throw them with the (f)ire key would be nice.

I’m not sure how many resources it would take to make them, or even the skills needed, but what I was thinking something along the lines of this:

throwing knife
Skill used: fabrication Skills required: throwing(1), mechanics(1)

Difficulty: (3)
Materials required: x5 scrap metal, x1 chunk of metal
Tools required: stone hammer, hammer, integrated toolset (maybe even a nearby fire)

As for the rest of the items, I still don’t know what could be done so I’ll let you guys decide. Thanks for reading.

I like the idea.

I suggested tomahawks as craftable weapons once, because it’s nearly impossible to find enough hatchets for my cosplay.
Yeah, more throwing weapons would be a good thing.

Tomahawks definitely. i used to throw when i was a teenager and not old enough to buy ammo on my own, and i got to the point where i could make it stick in the tree 6-7/10x.

if my tomahawk tree hadn’t been knocked down during a hurricane i would probably still be throwing.

[quote=“HunterAlpha1, post:4, topic:2723”]Tomahawks definitely. i used to throw when i was a teenager and not old enough to buy ammo on my own, and i got to the point where i could make it stick in the tree 6-7/10x.

if my tomahawk tree hadn’t been knocked down during a hurricane i would probably still be throwing.[/quote]

Only tomahawks? :frowning: What about knives and throwing stars?

Anyway, what would you guys think would be appropriate to craft them with? Like 5 chunks of steel or something?

I would think either 3 pieces of steel or 12 of scrap metal for the metal ones and 2 string, heavy stick, and rocks for stone ones

Good ideas.

Well, modern chinese film industry has introduced a couple of cut/pierce throwing items; maybe the best thing would be to look for reference there.
I always wondered what were those miniature spears…

Anyone know what the best already in game throwing weapon is? I use rocks, but they’re pretty heavy.

It has been already discussed here Grtifter

You have to do it like this:

[url=google.com]Google[/url]

Google

Tomahawk idea sounds pretty good.
I think x5 scrap x1 chunk for a throwing knife is a bit too much though, pretty sure you could craft one with x3 or x4 scrap metal.

As for the tomahawk, x3 steel chunk, 1x fur pelt/50x duct tape 1x two by four, or heavy stick.
Allow it to be used as a hatchet in addition to awesome throwing weaponage. fur or duct tape for the grip, wood for the handle.

Shuriken could make it in I suppose, but to be real honest I don’t think they’d be that effective against zombies. If so think ultra lightweight, low-med damage weapon. Even then it should be pretty good with a high throwing skill. You should be able to carry about 10~ for every spear.

[glow=red,2,300]Scrap Shuriken![/glow]
Tools: Hammer + (? something to sharpen it. Rock? Acid?)
Materials: x1 scrap metal
Skills: Fabrication (1), Throwing (2)

A small piece of scrap metal beaten into a razor sharp disc.
It’s very light and could make a nasty throwing weapon.

After that we could have ones made out of lump/chunks of steel with higher damage.

I made the (OP) gorge-the-secubot - but proper - heavy javelin. The attribute being superceeded with more crafting skill involved so the volume and weight weren’t changed that much.
Do you want it with your addon?

Here’s a harder one:

Boomerang.

Is there any way to code a throwing weapon that comes back if it misses its target?

Real boomerangs, the kind made for hunting, don’t return.

Depends on what you’re hunting doesn’t it? My understanding was the small ones for hunting birds and small rodents (size of squirrels or so) returned, but the ones for hunting larger game (in the rabbit+ size range) didn’t. Having said that, returning boomerangs would do like 1-2 damage, and only be good for hunting crows and squirrels (and maybe rabbits), but may well be worth having just for that. Obviously the NERF-like boomerangs you’ll mostly run into in the US would be worthless for anything except training throwing. Well, I guess they’d make a noise on impact, so not completely useless.

Code-wise, it wouldn’t be that hard to add a “returning” flag to the throwing code that would “un-throw” the item if it doesn’t hit anything.

This. Hunting boomerangs look more like an axe-shaped piece of wood than the V-shaped returning ones.

Okay, how about Chakram?