Acid is OPed

Yeah, I thought that was environmental resist.

acid_resist is property of the materials. Each material has an individual acid_resist value, the numbers are totaled and averaged, then anything with an environmental resist of 9 or lower has that number reduced further. I was looking at the acid_resist code earlier while adjusting wyrmskin. I think the prevailing rule of thumb is 6 total acid_resist to reduce all acid damage to 0? Sounds like arcana mod needs some wyrmskin boots and trousers.

git gud

A shopping cart is neither rare nor very encumbering.
A car standing in the city you’re looting is quite encumbering (you can’t carry it around), but it isn’t rare.
Survivor firegear and wetsuits are neither very rare nor very encumbering.
Cleansuit+turnout/rubber boots is only moderately encumbering and common
Turnout trousers+flame-resistant suit+turnout/rubber boots, also only moderately encumbering

You can always pad boots with flame-resistant socks and legs with flame-resistant suits.[/quote]

The shopping cart trick - OK, you got me there (apparently). I didn’t know about that, but I’m also 100% sure I’ve been harmed by acid while sitting in my ArmoredMeCarrier in the experimental from a few months ago, so I’ll have to experiment with that.

All your other gear suggestions: to get to actual immunity (instead of just reduction) requires either A) CRAZY encumbrance or B) very high encumbrance and giving up one of the easiest and best ways for a melee character to have decent storage, which is cargo pants/shorts and/or army pants.

Wetsuits have acid resist of 1 (last I checked), so I don’t know why you even list those… unless you are meaning for making SURVIVOR wetsuit stuff, which is at least mid-game and involves giving up other REALLY good stuff just to deal with acid (which kinda makes my point for me).

[quote=“deoxy, post:23, topic:11385”]All your other gear suggestions: to get to actual immunity (instead of just reduction) requires either A) CRAZY encumbrance or B) very high encumbrance and giving up one of the easiest and best ways for a melee character to have decent storage, which is cargo pants/shorts and/or army pants.

Wetsuits have acid resist of 1 (last I checked), so I don’t know why you even list those… unless you are meaning for making SURVIVOR wetsuit stuff, which is at least mid-game and involves giving up other REALLY good stuff just to deal with acid (which kinda makes my point for me).[/quote]

Repeating your old point won’t work after I brought it down by listing exact sets of items granting acid field immunity.

When going against zombies, you don’t need near-zero torso encumbrance. It’s OK to wear that backpack, especially post that early-early game.
It’s not OK to be able to wear the best physical armor+storage around and still be immune to acid, meaning it’s more than just totally fine for those cargo/army pants not to be enough.

Yes, survivor gear is midgame.
If it was “REALLY good stuff” (as in, other suits), then now you’ve got “slightly worse really good stuff, but with acid immunity”.

Compromises are intended. Not just that - they’re the proper way of designing stuff. Having no-brainers everywhere is a sign of bad design.

But you can only wear two (identical) pairs of socks at any given time. I suppose your advice still stands, but two pairs is just 2 points of acid protection.

The other day I was going through the pockets of a dead zombie and found a 55 gallon drum. While picking it up a brute and spitter ran around the corner and I got smash-melted. I pressed a button to pick up the drum, and next thing I’m embedded in a car and my legs are at 0hp.

I’m okay with that. It was fun! What I do want is a visual indicator that I’m standing in a pool of acid. I’ve had too many avoidable injuries because I didn’t know I was melting (I can’t read every line of text the game displays, it’s too much during a busy fight). Just turn my square green so I know my dumb *** is standing in a puddle of corrosive liquid.

You only need 5 total on feet and 4 total on legs.
Steeltoed+2 pairs of flame socks means you take at most 1 point of direct acid damage to feet (can still get the DoT).

Total immunity should require sacrifices and certainly shouldn’t be guaranteed just from wearing the regular good stuff.

I usually use ‘x’, but yeah, coloring player’s background could work.

electicity is too weak, unless i have to fight one without wooden/ranged weapon they are not dangeours at all

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:24, topic:11385”][quote=“deoxy, post:23, topic:11385”]All your other gear suggestions: to get to actual immunity (instead of just reduction) requires either A) CRAZY encumbrance or B) very high encumbrance and giving up one of the easiest and best ways for a melee character to have decent storage, which is cargo pants/shorts and/or army pants.

Wetsuits have acid resist of 1 (last I checked), so I don’t know why you even list those… unless you are meaning for making SURVIVOR wetsuit stuff, which is at least mid-game and involves giving up other REALLY good stuff just to deal with acid (which kinda makes my point for me).[/quote]

Repeating your old point won’t work after I brought it down by listing exact sets of items granting acid field immunity.[/quote]

OK, let me make it more explicit, then.

Unless things have changed since the last time I tested it, your list of equipment DOES NOT GIVE IMMUNITY unless you stack several of them, resulting in very high encumbrance. That is, unless you prioritize acid immunity over EVERYTHING else, you still take auto acid damage*. This is the point several people are making - it’s worth prioritizing acid protection over EVERYTHING else, which means it’s OP.

• I haven’t tested the vehicle trick you mentioned, though I would say that’s a bit of an exploit if it does work.

Personally, I think any decent set of boots should protect you from acid on the ground, it’s the initial “spit” that should do the damage, and it should be fairly hard to protect against - the spitter should cover 50+% over you, meaning that if you’re not 100% covered, you’re probably going to get it. Also, I think that protection from that should be fairly easy to get… just very hard to maintain. That cleansuit? Sure, it protects you just fine (heck, enough plastic bags would do)… until it takes a hit of any kind. For most items, the acid protection should decline with damage.

Ive said more than once we should be making the game harder by removing all the ludicrous buffings, not addings equally magical nerfs.

Cocaine was an excellent example of a miracle drug that would let you outrun Hulks. Like lolwat.

drugs are relics from whales era, they are here instead of potions, they need some rework but nobody care about it

You must have tested it long ago.
The acid was nerfed quite a while ago, when fire damage appeared in stat blocks. The sets I described are solid. Add flame-resistant socks to turnout boots to get 100% immunity (without the socks, it doesn’t have 9 env total it needs to give 100% resistance to corrosive effect).

I think it’d make sense if acid didn’t do much damage when it comes in contact with a well protected part, but be vicious when it comes in contact with an unprotected body part. For instance, running a high risk of being blinded when getting acid to unprotected eyes / face.

You must have tested it long ago.
The acid was nerfed quite a while ago, when fire damage appeared in stat blocks. The sets I described are solid. Add flame-resistant socks to turnout boots to get 100% immunity (without the socks, it doesn’t have 9 env total it needs to give 100% resistance to corrosive effect).[/quote]

And how do I manage that feat if my character has the hooves mutation?
The only things I can wear are footwraps, XL survivor boots and sandals.
of these the only thing that has any kind of acid protection are the boots and then only 1 or 2 points for 25 or 30 enc

Currently you need to stay away from acid by getting on vehicles.
Mutants don’t have it easy, though acid is not the worst thing around when you can’t wear armor - physical damage is worse.

Enable the Mundane Zombies mod, open the json and remove everything from the blacklist except for anything with “acid” or “corrosive” in the name. Bam, done. If you think it’s too easy just turn the spawn up or something.

I got tired of having to repair my boots every five minutes like a year ago and haven’t played with acid zombies enabled ever since.

I dont mind them being the elite of the zombies.

It just acombination of lore and mechanics that doesnt seem right.

Currently you need to stay away from acid by getting on vehicles.
Mutants don’t have it easy, though acid is not the worst thing around when you can’t wear armor - physical damage is worse.[/quote]
Stragely Acid is my only problem -I wear heavy armor everywhere so physical damage is blocked most of the time, have the ignore electricity CBM, and an okay dodge score to even dodge the acid spitters. Its just the puddles they leave because there is no armor for mutantfeet that would be worth it.
But next game I’ll just put the no acidzombies mod on, its just too much hassle otherwise.

Here’s a rebalance.
To sum up:

[ul][li]Way less evil, but slightly more annoying corrosives[/li]
[li]Less armor piercing acid, more acid seeping through armor and dealing small DoTs[/li]
[li]Raincoat as an early acid protection. 2 acid res for torso and arms for 7 encumbrance[/li]
[li]Weaker low density acid[/li]
[li]Acid seen under your symbol in console builds[/li][/ul]

how do head protection mid game?

Or at least withou going full on gassmask/power armor helmut?