Ability to use towel water

I was just wondering how hard it would be to code the ability to drink/store water from towels after you dry off, possibly with a high chance for ill effect when consumed raw due to dust/zombie guts that survivors tend to accumulate.

Also, items outside in the rain should get wet, this would cause:

-Towels to get wet
-Wood to become damp and harder/impossible to burn
-Non-waterproof electronics to break
-Containers to fill very slowly

It would be very easy to add in a naive way, but doing it in a way that handles contaminants properly would be much more difficult.

Your other suggestions are things I’d like to see added though.

I don’t want to nag, but…you sure you gonna get enough water out of the towel for 250ml of water? let’s be honest here, the towel would need to be dripping wet for you to get a fair amount of water out of it. You won’t however get this much water when you’re just drying yourself off with it. Especially since some of the water will remain in the towel, even if you wring it out as good as you can.
It’s simple to test, really, go under the shower for a bit, then dry yourself off with a towel and then try to get the water out of it. Pretty sure you won’t be able to fill a cup with water.

Of course, this would be another story with clothing and similar things. Stay in the rain in the while, and some clothing articles will literally be dripping wet, because some fabrics are really really good at absorbing water. They will also be quite heavy when they are full with water…
Maybe another feature, next to the dirty clothes: Wet Clothes, they are heavier than their dry counterparts and you get a wet malus, like in the rain.

I spent a year living in a tent while on the road. On one occasion, a ride dropped me off in the middle of a swamp with nothing around for many, many miles. It was 30 C+ and no rain, and I had no water with me. By the second day without a ride I was dehydrated and almost ready to drink swamp water just to save my life when I decided to try one of the methods suggested by my survival books: tying socks around my ankles and walking through the dew in the morning grass. I was able to squeeze a surprising amount of water out of my socks, and combined with what I was able to lick off the walls of my tent, it kept me alive. (The socks were filthy so the water tasted like dirty feet, but it was probably healthier than drinking from a swamp.)

Like towels? Also about the water remaining in the towel, I thought the “drink water from the towel” part meant sucking it straight from the towel.

Im against the idea if for no other reason than I could drink animal blood like old DF and get the same amount of water. Dehydration isnt such a quick thing, and you can trek across the better part of a map region in 24 game hours. Ive done so.

Finding a swamp or river or pond wouldnt be that bad. But, maybe we could add in little ponds. Id be willing to try.

Like towels? Also about the water remaining in the towel, I thought the “drink water from the towel” part meant sucking it straight from the towel.[/quote]

Quite true, however, clothing is bigger, therefore it can hold more water.
For reference, a dry towel in CDDA weighs .37 kg ; cargo pants weigh .67kg, a flannel jacket weighs nearly a full kilogram. Cloaks and other things are even bigger.

By the way, i just checked, a wet towel is considered to be .4kg heavy in CDDA ; so you’re basically drying off .03kg of water…really, just 30grams? And our characters are complaining about this amount of water…?
Right then.

I spent a year living in a tent while on the road. On one occasion, a ride dropped me off in the middle of a swamp with nothing around for many, many miles. It was 30 C+ and no rain, and I had no water with me. By the second day without a ride I was dehydrated and almost ready to drink swamp water just to save my life when I decided to try one of the methods suggested by my survival books: tying socks around my ankles and walking through the dew in the morning grass. I was able to squeeze a surprising amount of water out of my socks, and combined with what I was able to lick off the walls of my tent, it kept me alive. (The socks were filthy so the water tasted like dirty feet, but it was probably healthier than drinking from a swamp.)[/quote]

Mh, cheesey water. I’m actually quite surprised to find someone with…such a history in our midst. Why did the ride drop you off in the middle of nowhere? Were they trying to kill you?

I got a lift with a guy in a suit driving a brand-new Beemer, who spent the whole time boasting about what a powerful and respected executive he was. I think he was probably angling for a blowjob. What he actually got was a blowout which tore the whole tire apart. He managed to get his car to the side of the highway, but he didn’t know what to do. I suggested he change the tire, and he told me he didn’t have a spare tire and didn’t know how to change it anyway. I guess being an awesome, super-impressive executive ubermensch doesn’t involve basic automotive knowledge and maintenance. I told him that I could still smell the newness and he had to have a spare tire, and suggested we check his trunk. Lo and behold, after we’d lifted his golf clubs out, I moved the rug to reveal one of those tiny donut tires. I changed his tire for him, then grabbed my backpack and got out, telling him he didn’t want to put any extra weight on that tire given how hot the road was (which had probably contributed to his original blowout). I told him we’d passed a gas station about 25 miles back, and that he should go and buy a replacement tire then come back and pick me up. He said, “Oh, I think I’m just gonna keep going,” and then drove off.

When Mr. Impressive Executive drove away, I finally looked around and realized he’d left me in the middle of a swamp with almost no shoulder. Cars didn’t want to stop for me there and there was nothing in sight. I knew it was 25 miles back to civilization and figured there had to be something closer if I just started walking. There wasn’t. After two days in swamp in all that heat, I was half-dead with heat prostration and dehydration. I made a sign which read “PLEASE HELP NEED WATER” but no one would stop for me. If I hadn’t remembered my survival guides, I’d have been forced to drink swamp water and hope for the best.