A question to the "devs" and community

This is a dead serious question, so please no flaming or getting butthurt.

Why stop at Elves? Why not an Orc mutation? Or Goblin mutation? Or fairy mutation?

For the simpleton:

Why stop at adding one magical/mythical instance into the game? If you’re going to cross the line of “we don’t want magic” and then add in mythical instances like being able to mutate into an Elf, why stop there?

My thoughts exactly.

It doesn’t matter the literal “meaning” of it; it’s a breach of lore and canon.

You do realize its just a common name given to a chemical formula.

I could see some commercial demand for a product that turns people into elves.

For LARP and for fantasy sex stuff. These labs probably don’t find themselves, so I bet they planned to release the formula and make millions for new netherworld portals.

Also a good but not very important question:

Why does mutating into elfa makes you happy?

I mean, you are still losing your humanity and everything, if that doesnt make you feel wrong at least it shouldn’t make you feel happy

I think its just more a closer way to explain the mutations. Give you an better idea what your changing into. And you can do orc, you just need a few different already there mutations to be one…

Elf-a is an unbalanced set of mutations that happens to combine into something similar to those properties known of elves in fiction. Its actual name is simply a designation number, Elf-a is a nickname created by scientists.

besides, most of the lab scientists were probably WoW players.

Clayton dislikes new content in general, he was being sarcastic about the orcs and whatnot.

Which brings me to a question: Clayton, why do all mutations set you off?

Not all mutations set me off?

I just think it’s incredibly lore breaking to get, “You gain the Elf mutation”

It doesn’t fit with the game. Like someone else said, what’s next, anime eyes mutation? Giggly Japanese girl mutation?

I’m just trying to point out that there is seemingly no threshold; no line of what can be included and what cant in the name of lore and immersion.

It literately feels like the “devs” don’t monitor anything that get’s put into the game. This was made evident by the Dead Rising weapons.

[quote=“Clayton, post:11, topic:4902”]Not all mutations set me off?

I just think it’s incredibly lore breaking to get, “You gain the Elf mutation”

It doesn’t fit with the game. Like someone else said, what’s next, anime eyes mutation? Giggly Japanese girl mutation?

I’m just trying to point out that there is seemingly no threshold; no line of what can be included and what cant in the name of lore and immersion.

It literately feels like the “devs” don’t monitor anything that get’s put into the game. This was made evident by the Dead Rising weapons.[/quote]
you made the comment about the slippery slope mutations. And as several people have already pointed out it’s not “You gain the elf mutation” elf-a just has a small collection of “better than human” mutations, as well as several downsides. It was not added for the sake of having “fantasy” elements, to my knowledge, it was added so that the “beautiful” category mutations had a use. Would you rather it be “Sex bomb”? How about “movie star” hmn? Let’s hear your lore-friendly suggestion for the use of those mutations. Because so far all I’m hearing from you on all fronts is “remove”

Mod it out and be a happier person?

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:13, topic:4902”]Mod it out and be a happier person?[/quote] Pretty much this. People seem to have no problem with the name, it’s just a nickname the scientist gave the mutation. Pointy ear humanoid in this context is not the one in high fantasy context and elfa is just as “fantasy” as chimera (which is Greek fantasy lore) or raptor (dinosaur).

No…?

“Make a mod” isn’t the answer to EVERY SINGLE COMPLAINT ON THE FORUMS, people.

I’m sorry, but that is so damned annoying to hear.

[quote=“Clayton, post:1, topic:4902”]This is a dead serious question, so please no flaming or getting butthurt.

Why stop at Elves? Why not an Orc mutation? Or Goblin mutation? Or fairy mutation?

For the simpleton:

Why stop at adding one magical/mythical instance into the game? If you’re going to cross the line of “we don’t want magic” and then add in mythical instances like being able to mutate into an Elf, why stop there?[/quote]

In general, we don’t want to copy things. Putting the Cata spin on existing concepts is Nifty though.

I realize that
a) the lore ain’t easy to find
b) reading my proposal for Elf-a in the mutation expansions thread may be a bit much to ask.

Elf-a was largely the work of one Dr. Maiar, a well-known researcher who’d put quite a bit of effort into documenting the various mutagen flavors and whose team was dedicated to him. When faced with the fact that the Blob had escaped containment and civilization as he knew it was in grave peril–especially since there was no practical, large-scale way to remove the Blob from those it infected–he reacted poorly and did a Silly Thing.

Maiar took the stable, expensive, and fairly low-powered Alpha mutagen cocktail and reengineered it to adapt folks to the nomadic, sylvan life he foresaw. His team went along with it. Unfortunately, without taking the time to obtain authorization or run some theoretical modeling before practical trials, it went poorly. Half the subjects either died from the mutations or from the hard radiation contaminating the ward.

Dr. Maiar was terminated for “unethical research” and his research destroyed. Shortly thereafter, unrest in the Labs led to general disruption and their collapse as security systems were compromised and staff eloped.

NOBODY DROPS MAIAR INTO LAVA

As for the morale effects, Chimera is bad morale because it hurts like hell. Elf-a is probably the chemically-altered Blob messing with your head. (That’s the reason the eyes color-shift, too…)

Have you looked at what I’ve been doing with Troglobite, incidentally?

As for humanity-loss, one of the major parts of Thresholds is your character’s mind altering to appreciate their proper form.

I have nothing against fantasy or how you incorporated the fantastical image of an Elf into a scientific standard, but it just doesn’t fit. Especially not when you call it “Elf” and “Sylvan”.

Like, no matter how you look at it or go around it, you’re literately mutating into a fantasy elf. Pointy ears, “more attractive”…hell, you might as well make the mutation give you a bonus to using bows.

What’s the difference between that and “[insert scientific background], then they turned green and grew bigger teeth and bigger muscles! Let’s call this, Orc-a mutatgen!”

BETTER.

I’m going to have to agree with Clayton and say “does Elf-A really belong?” I personally have no problem being with it being there, but it does feel a little too fantasy for the base game with it’s current “Elven” flavor and look. It seems like something to add to one of the “content packs” that were talked about at some point.

There will be a feature for you to toggle all mutations/mutagens (or individual ones) off with a simple menu, but we’re not there yet, so for the time being, just chill.