A question to the "devs" and community

[quote=“Clayton, post:1, topic:4902”]This is a dead serious question, so please no flaming or getting butthurt.

Why stop at Elves? Why not an Orc mutation? Or Goblin mutation? Or fairy mutation?

For the simpleton:

Why stop at adding one magical/mythical instance into the game? If you’re going to cross the line of “we don’t want magic” and then add in mythical instances like being able to mutate into an Elf, why stop there?[/quote]

to be fair they sort of already have a fairy mutation
elf ears, fay night vision and insect wings.

No conflict anymore, Clayton was banned again… :confused:

((Still adding my two cents in!))

Here’s the way I see it. Does it sound like it belongs in Cata based on the name alone, no it does not. But you have to remember, Cata’s world is somewhat grounded in our reality, only set in the distant future, where cyborgs and mutants (I think) are the norm. There would be people that would pay to be genetically modified to be a “real” fantasy character, and in a way it mimics real-life cos-players that sink tons of cash to make their costumes look like the real deal.

If the name wasn’t Elf, I’m pretty sure they’d just accept it as a cool addition.

[quote=“ajwilli1, post:23, topic:4902”]((Still adding my two cents in!))

Here’s the way I see it. Does it sound like it belongs in Cata based on the name alone, no it does not. But you have to remember, Cata’s world is somewhat grounded in our reality, only set in the distant future, where cyborgs and mutants (I think) are the norm. There would be people that would pay to be genetically modified to be a “real” fantasy character, and in a way it mimics real-life cos-players that sink tons of cash to make their costumes look like the real deal.

If the name wasn’t Elf, I’m pretty sure they’d just accept it as a cool addition.[/quote]

This.
Only because Katanas, Zweihänder and Nodachi are in the game, it doesn’t mean that it breaks the lore because of the usage of medieval weapons.

Where do you see what these categories do? The Wiki is not updated.

Just from the raws?
I gave a glance at Alpha and it seems awesome.

[quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:25, topic:4902”]Where do you see what these categories do? The Wiki is not updated.

Just from the raws?
I gave a glance at Alpha and it seems awesome.[/quote]

Umm, no one is complaining about Alpha, it’s ELF-A which is a bone of contention to some.

I’m asking because I don’t know what else Elf-A does.

As far as I understand it, they want mutations mostly for military purposes and they were definitely still experimenting and fooling around (as shown by the many negatives most mutations have).
If Elf-A doesn’t have a military purpose why would the military research it?

[quote=“Clayton, post:17, topic:4902”]I have nothing against fantasy or how you incorporated the fantastical image of an Elf into a scientific standard, but it just doesn’t fit. Especially not when you call it “Elf” and “Sylvan”.

Like, no matter how you look at it or go around it, you’re literately mutating into a fantasy elf. Pointy ears, “more attractive”…hell, you might as well make the mutation give you a bonus to using bows.

What’s the difference between that and “[insert scientific background], then they turned green and grew bigger teeth and bigger muscles! Let’s call this, Orc-a mutatgen!”[/quote]

This, I couldnt agree more, adding a background wont change the fact that you are turning into an elf. Now if the mutation didnt had things like “Fey Eyes” or “Pointy Ears” or wasn’t called “Elf-a” the argument that its an unstable version of alpha with some plan added in would hold perfectly well. Removing or changing the name of 2 of the 3 after mentioned things would make it perfectly reasonable. But as it is now nobody thinks you are mutating into a weird tree man in a too fast too soon way, everyone thinks you are turning into an elf.

This is a sensible argument. What would you call those mutations and the category then?

This is a sensible argument. What would you call those mutations and the category then?[/quote]

I… wish I knew actually, but i think that a mythological reference with a different not so clitched origin could work well.

If something similar exist in american indian (sorry for not using the proper word, I dont know it) mythology, or some other mythology thats is not strongly linked with tolkienesque/nordic elves, that would be a very nice option.

If I understand correctly the mutation line was meant to save humanity. Allowing them to survive in the new hostile environment. So why not simply call it something on the line?

Suggestions:
“Survivor”
“Adaptation”
“Nature”
“Beta” - since it was meant as an improvement to the Alpha mutation

Now simply lose the pointed ear mutation and you have something unique.

I like “Nature” and “Beta”.

…Why can’t you guys just get over the fact that it makes you elflike, with some properties from Alpha mutagen, and that is why the scientists called it “elf-a”…

I think its rather silly compared to the other mutation lines. Especially if removing that silliness would be as easy as changing a few minor things.

Lets face it: There are a lot of people with concerns when it comes down to this specific mutation line. You can see it in all the argument threads out there.

Now to those who have nothing against the Elf line: How important is it to you? Would it really matter to you if it was called something else and slightly altered? Because otherwise changing it would result in a net win.

Now to those who have nothing against the Elf line: How important is it to you? Would it really matter to you if it was called something else and slightly altered? Because otherwise changing it would result in a net win.

I have nothing against the category as it is and nothing against changing the name. We could call the eyes Owl Eyes or something and the ears could be Feline/Lupine and it would be the same IMHO.

Name:
I could care less, it could be a Cata version of an Elf. For all I care they could change it to, “Beta Alpha Centauri”, and I’d still love it.
Importance:
I haven’t gotten an Elf-A mutation yet. But I think of it as a good “trickery” mutation, with people chugging it down because they thought it would be a better version of Alpha, or they really wanted to be Elves.

/rant:
Why are we only focusing on the “fantasy” aspects of the Elves. There are common in modern day folklore as well, I mean did everyone forget that “Santa” had “Elves”, then Elves are also the mascots for a brand of packaged cookies. So the more I think about it, this mutation doesn’t really seem out of place. Just because the name is Elf, doesn’t mean they’re the snooty pricks from Skyrim, or the perfect immortals in LOTR.

I will dare to say that that argument only made it SIGNIFICANTLY worse :confused:

No really I was thinking about letting it go, now I feel like I should start a mighty internet crusade or something to rename it.

Post not meant to be taken seriously

The point where anything fantasy/Tolkien comes in is when CDDA jumps the shark for me. Better to make some endgame dungeons and level-with-you zeds to get rid of the sandbox mode now.

((I take it back, apparently in Norse mythology, (where half our crap comes from.) Elves are holy/demonic beings that are the equivalent of Angels.))
Just because Elf is in the name doesn’t mean Tolkien fantasy. Also you’re over-reacting, just because one mutation is Elf, doesn’t mean Cata is turning into Skyrim.

Should probably clarify on the whole angels thing. I love the Irony of it, angels are viewed as perfect immortal beings, and yet the mutation it’s self is the most flawed thing you could possibly see. Yeah it makes you look pretty, but you are practically made of “glass” because of it.

Edit: Apparently Angels are Angles. Geometry is holy now.

Why not call it “Alp” instead not only is it the old germanic word for elves, it also has far more morally grey connotations, the world literally meaning “ghostly one”.