A lot of suggestions

Moral is it worth raising? I don’t really read books, I get most of my skills from fighting. For example I got lots of books sitting in the corner but I don’t read them. I almost never have to, there no point in keeping him entertained besides just to get him to level up faster. Why not make low moral dangerous? Our character can commit suicide if his moral to low. This will make the game harder, and we will need to raise his/her moral when it get very low. This gives a good reason to actually use books and stereos more often.

Another thing I have been thinking about is that our characters will get lonely after a while. It lowers moral but it can be easily raised by talking to an npc. If there is no npc’s you can always tame a pet then you’ll never feel lonely. Over time you and the npc/pet friendship will build up and when it reach it highest and your friend dies for some reason the penalties are gonna be massive. You’re gonna find yourself depressed and sad, so it best to prepare for something like this. Stock up food and other things then just wait it out.

Thirdly, all corpses can’t stay fresh forever. What I mean is that over the years in-game zombies are going to decay. Over time the zombie populations are going to get lower while the fungus rise and Hostile hostile humans such as bandits are going to be way more common. They’re still gonna be zombies here and there but they’re mostly just decayed zombies. And what you really got to be scared of are looters. They’re very common looking for food guns and weapons and most of the time they will attack you. At this point of the game you might as well abandon using melee weapons and only use them when you’re out of ammo, since most enemies are gonna have some kind of ranged weapon. Factions will also start rebuilding societies with there own laws. If you break them expect to get shot down.

That all I got to say for now.

Actually, for reasons which I think are considered spoilers, CDDA zombies can in fact stay fresh forever.

But what keeping them fresh?

Technically, yeah, but it comes up often enough that I just tell people. Long story short, DDA zeds are the Blob in a whatever-critter suit, much like the Bug in the first Men In Black movie was a bug in an Edgar suit.

But what keeping them fresh?[/quote]
Magical Alien Goo from another dimension.

Suicide is a suggestion that gets tossed around sometimes, and the general response is “No” because it’s one of those things where it’s frustrating to lose a character because you accidentally mowed down one too many child zombies or ate a lemon instead of an orange.

Zeds arn’t dead, in fact, even the ones you pulp arn’t truly dead, they just don’t have enough bones left to get up and chase you anymore. If anything they are much closer to mentally disabled, violent mutants.

If you want to bring science into it then corpses cannot ever move, no matter what the Zombie Survival Guide (may it’s pages be forever blotted) implies about it’s viraly reprogrammed walking corpses. Dead cells have stopped producing ATP energy and repairing the intracellular mysosin fibers that ALLOW living bodies to move in the first place.

Making suggestions on how you believe the future of the setting will develop while assuming this is ‘zombie apocalypse’ is going to make your suggestions look very out of place.

If you want to know more, there’s a design document and a wiki to spoil you… if you don’t want to be spoiled, then go down the locked research labs and start READING their research notes and computer files.

However, I do agree that there needs to be stronger penalties for incredibly low morale: induced mental instability, disassociation, hallucinations, self-destructive urges, that sort of thing.

Zeds arn’t dead, in fact, even the ones you pulp arn’t truly dead, they just don’t have enough bones left to get up and chase you anymore. If anything they are much closer to mentally disabled, violent mutants.

If you want to bring science into it then corpses cannot ever move, no matter what the Zombie Survival Guide (may it’s pages be forever blotted) implies about it’s viraly reprogrammed walking corpses. Dead cells have stopped producing ATP energy and repairing the intracellular mysosin fibers that ALLOW living bodies to move in the first place.

Making suggestions on how you believe the future of the setting will develop while assuming this is ‘zombie apocalypse’ is going to make your suggestions look very out of place.

If you want to know more, there’s a design document and a wiki to spoil you… if you don’t want to be spoiled, then go down the locked research labs and start READING their research notes and computer files.

However, I do agree that there needs to be stronger penalties for incredibly low morale: induced mental instability, disassociation, hallucinations, self-destructive urges, that sort of thing.[/quote]

I wish I could survive the labs, those turrets instant killers.

Turn off your flashlight before you enter the room. Or wear heavy armor.

One penalty for having to low morale to often (having it to low once is too harsh, having it too low continuously is to easy to avoid) could be a pseudo depression effect that lowers your intelligence, learning and crafting just seems to pointless to pay attention to, it could be made worse by continuing to have too low morale most of the time, while improved by having quite high morale most of the time, for a few days. Why do I call it pseudo depression, well depression doesn’t work like this, keeping happy or having bad things happen is not necessarily the way it is working, also if i remember correctly there is already depression in the game so it should probable go under another name, like pointlessness or something better.

/Zorbeltuss

[quote=“Zorbeltuss, post:10, topic:6933”]One penalty for having to low morale to often (having it to low once is too harsh, having it too low continuously is to easy to avoid) could be a pseudo depression effect that lowers your intelligence, learning and crafting just seems to pointless to pay attention to, it could be made worse by continuing to have too low morale most of the time, while improved by having quite high morale most of the time, for a few days. Why do I call it pseudo depression, well depression doesn’t work like this, keeping happy or having bad things happen is not necessarily the way it is working, also if i remember correctly there is already depression in the game so it should probable go under another name, like pointlessness or something better.

/Zorbeltuss[/quote]

Yeah, you take stat drops at -100 morale and below, IIRC. Same with stat bonuses at +100 and above.

Speaking from experience: depression would be more along the lines of diminished/reversed(!) effects of morale-boosting things. The Cooked Meat still tastes good, but it doesn’t matter. You could read that recreational book, but all it does is remind you of why you’re a lousy git. (Playboy ain’t happening either, you undesirable wreck!) Why waste batteries in the handheld game? Oh–you’re gonna use the vibrator? What tension do YOU have to work out, you useless jagoff?

Allie Brosh goes into plenty of detail in part 1 and later part 2.

So we’re still not talking about regression; only depression; a hermit’s existence is still a living, altough the frayed ends of sanity don’t always comply with civic perspectives on achievement, and establishing oneself as a whole.

Depression already included in my Dirty Hacks Pack:)
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=7339.msg167025