A fish descriptions mod

I know f**k all about modding cataclysm, but I do know about copy pasting and editing descriptions. Another thing I know is that most of the creatures in this game have descriptions… Except fish of course. I edited the fish Json and gave all the fish small descriptions. I also added two crustaceans; the lobster and the crayfish. We have giant crayfish, why not regular crayfish? I added lobsters because it sort of made sense, im not sure they show up in rivers or lakes irl, but why not have them? Thats all it does. descriptions on otherwise unloved fish, and two new animals.

Instructions
Just take this Json: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gu1vc2pdayuo4rg/fish.json?dl=0
And use it to replace the regular fish Json under data/json in the cataclysm folder. Thats it.

Unless fish undergo some radical new change, this mod SHOULD be compatible with future/past versions of cataclysm DDA unless i’ve completely failed to understand how this kind of thing works.

FUTURE PLANS!
If I figure out how to do them and can be arsed to do them.
CLAMS AND MUSSELS! with actual clam/mussel meat. Maybe a different way to get them than fishing. Im thinking something that appears in shallow water like bushes, but much rarer or a structure of some kind you set up and check on later.
MOAR FISHING! Basically getting a bit more variety in there. I never found any fishing rod better than “stick and string” but I know they exist.

You could differentiate them from fish a bit. At 150 speed and AQUATIC, they’re moving 3 tiles per turn while in water, but can’t move a single tile on land.

the lobsters and crayfish? Aya, do lobsters crawl on land? I could put crabs in too. Most of the stuff in the Jsons is pretty straight forward, so messing with them is fairly easy now that ive figured out how to make them comprehensible.

Tweaked lobster speed a bit, Im not sure exactly how fast to make them.

I want to do something with all this, but Im not quiet sure how to go about it. Im sure now that setting up a clam box/trap thing should be a trap that you set up, like a brazier or rollmat, but I have no idea about how to go about it. adding a new trap seems easy enough, but setting up the effect of the trap a bit more complex simply because I can’t seem to locate the bit that dictates what the trap effects do to add my own effect to that list.

Fish trap has most of the code in src/iuse.cpp

Lobster are capable of walking on land but don’t do it on their own. They tend to be in deeper seawater, not tidal areas and definitely shouldn’t be getting upstream in New Engalnd. Crayfish don’t make it up to New England at all, I don’t think. I don’t think there’s much by way of freshwater crab that’s good for eating up here either though that may be because we just eat the ones from the ocean instead.

That said, when new habitats are introduced and we can have a non-New England inland location for our cataclysm this’ll be a great addition.

Why is this a mod, exactly? PR it and we’d be happy to mainline your fish descriptions!

Crayfish range extends all across the continental US.

Cool. I didn’t know that. I guess I don’t get out enough!

slaps forehead of course! I could copy the fish trap and alter the copy to catch something else. I hadn’t thought of that.

kk, ill do that, though to be honest, I have no idea what im looking at when I look at github.

[quote=“Zero, post:6, topic:9810”]Lobster are capable of walking on land but don’t do it on their own. They tend to be in deeper seawater, not tidal areas and definitely shouldn’t be getting upstream in New Engalnd. Crayfish don’t make it up to New England at all, I don’t think. I don’t think there’s much by way of freshwater crab that’s good for eating up here either though that may be because we just eat the ones from the ocean instead.

That said, when new habitats are introduced and we can have a non-New England inland location for our cataclysm this’ll be a great addition.[/quote]

Aya, I kept them in the water. as for why they are there, I just wanted them ._.
As for crayfish, there is a giant variant that you can find in swampy areas in game.

[edit] Ok, I THINK ive done it?