A few vehicle parts i'd love to see added

A (possibly bad) idea:

‘Lift fan’ components that can be installed instead of wheels (cannot have both fans and wheels on the same vehicle). You must have a balanced set of fans the same way you do wheels.
Having lift fans consumes (a lot of) engine power based on vehicle weight, and then the rest goes to speed as normal. Bring a big engine and don’t plan to be quiet.
The advantages are that fan-based vehicles can travel on water/swamp without sinking and don’t detonate mines.

A fan is insufficient for that kind of thing, you need a full skirt to reasonably make a ground effect cushion. With that though, sure.

Actually, speaking of fans…

Have vehicle AC/Heater systems been considered before?

[quote=“Solusphere, post:23, topic:7055”]Actually, speaking of fans…

Have vehicle AC/Heater systems been considered before?[/quote]

Cars already have free AC units inside them.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:24, topic:7055”][quote=“Solusphere, post:23, topic:7055”]Actually, speaking of fans…

Have vehicle AC/Heater systems been considered before?[/quote]

Cars already have free AC units inside them.[/quote]

Oh, really? Don’t remember running across that before. Good to know.

A closed vehicle is automatically at a moderate temperature.

I wish we had transforming vehicle sections.

The idea is that you could go from having good visibility to deploying armour plating over the windows by using an option from the controls menu.

I find it frustrating as hell how you need to build a vehicle very specifically if you want to have all around visibility.

Correct me if this is an outdated opinion. I haven’t built a car in the newest game version yet.

I’ve been hoping for this, or working mirrors, or a camera system, for ages.

You shouldn’t be limited to using windscreens when you have electronics skill high enough to build robots. Why can’t we install a series of cameras around the vehicle displaying on screens in the car, so you can armour the entire vehicle with no glass showing?

As seen in the movie Daybreakers.

Also as seen on real life military vehicles. You can even get remote controlled turrets on top, which have a built in camera for aiming.

There are in fact working mirrors. If you can see the mirror, it adds visibility as if you were also standing at the location of the mirror (except the range is shortened appropriately so you can’t see further than normal using mirrors, and you can’t chain the effect)
at some point I’ll add cameras that act similarly.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:28, topic:7055”]There are in fact working mirrors. If you can see the mirror, it adds visibility as if you were also standing at the location of the mirror (except the range is shortened appropriately so you can’t see further than normal using mirrors, and you can’t chain the effect)
at some point I’ll add cameras that act similarly.[/quote]

If you can see the mirror at all? I don’t suppose you can see mirrors in other mirrors…?

Anyway this is good news. I’ll have to try making some of these…

You can install electric engines in the same frame as combustion engines now, or at least I was able to with a recent build. It works pretty well, but both engines are considered always-on when the car is started. It’d be nice if there was a switch to disable/enable specific engines, so you could fill your battery up with an alternator off a gasoline engine, switch it off and switch the electric engine on, and then coast around on electric power. Take it a step further and install some foot cranks. Never have to tow your car again when you can switch the engines off and just footcrank it home at 19 mph.

Maybe have an option on the vehicle examine screen to turn on/off parts? Then you could also use the same system to switch lights, fridges, between gasoline tanks, fold foldable frames, or whatever.

Also something I think we need: Make frames only able to hit bushes and wilderness crud if either: The smallest wheel on the entire vehicle is smaller than 13 inches, or the bush hits a frame that has a tire.
This way you can go offroading without worrying about smack-smack-smack-screech-swerve-smack too much.

On top of this, need monster-truck shocks and wheels so you can slowly drive over normally impassable obstacles like other cars.

So… what do you actually need to make a mirror on your car?

And yes we really should have a way to switch between engines. That’s how hybrid cars work in real life. There’s no reason why you should be burning petrol all the time.

A hand mirror and some duct tape should do the trick.

I don’t suppose you can craft hand mirrors? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

I have seen hand mirrors and I am pretty sure there’s a glass blowing A.K.A glass making book somewhere.

Yup, that one has the proper recipe. Might want to raid jewelry stores for the components.

…the mirrors seem to survive 2-3-4 collisions with shrubs, before they get “broken” (they detach and fall to the ground, rather than becoming useless - a nice touch). I remember somebody suggesting a large LCD + camers for being able to see out of an “optically tight” vehicle (well, with the Wallhack™ CBM, I’d just seal my truck off completely), but they haven’t become a “thing” yet, right ?

Yup, that one has the proper recipe. Might want to raid jewelry stores for the components.

…the mirrors seem to survive 2-3-4 collisions with shrubs, before they get “broken” (they detach and fall to the ground, rather than becoming useless - a nice touch). I remember somebody suggesting a large LCD + camers for being able to see out of an “optically tight” vehicle (well, with the Wallhack™ CBM, I’d just seal my truck off completely), but they haven’t become a “thing” yet, right ?[/quote]

Yeah, the LCD PR kinda died because nobody wanted to implement any recipes for LCD screens. :-/ Could probably be rezzed if someone wanted to fix the problem and update it.

Can’t you already salvage screens out of laptops and portable game systems? And cameras could be added to phone and laptop disassembly.