0.A Reading rate bug?

After like 10 days into my new game in 0.A, the rate my characater’s skill increased while reading suddenly plummeted. I tried reading “Duelist’s Annual” to get my piercing skill to level 1, and after about 12 hours I had only reached 25% or so. I’m now running into this problem with everything I read.

My character’s intelligence is 14. A number of my skills are high ranked, is there a new game mechanic that slows down your rate of book learning if certain conditions are met?

What’s your focus at?

Mmm, I didn’t check my focus. Did that mechanic change as well? Before, you could study so long as you had focus left, does it effect rate of learning now?

My reading rate is back to normal. I thought I just “fixed” it by reading a simple cookbook (which didn’t increase my cooking level but taught be a bunch of reciepes). Maybe it was the focus though?

How much you learn when you gain skill (no matter where it comes from) is based off of your focus, so if you spent some time not doing something to give skill training (I don’t think recipes count), you probably gained some focus back.

Also, and I am not sure if this is true or not, but I have observed that being “Dead Tired” or worse negatively impacts reading considerably. That, or the message spam is just driving me out of my mind…

Yawn. You are too tired to function well. You should get some sleep.

x9001

At 90 focus, well rested, reading advanced programming, it took me like 3 hours to go from 0% to 6% (my computer skill is currently 4).

It’s either a bug or a new mechanic. Does anyone know if they’ve refactored how reading works since .8?

Is this the same character as above? If not, what’s your int, and do you have any traits that might impact skill gain (slow learner, savant, etc)?

[quote=“Paquito, post:6, topic:5960”]At 90 focus, well rested, reading advanced programming, it took me like 3 hours to go from 0% to 6% (my computer skill is currently 4).

It’s either a bug or a new mechanic. Does anyone know if they’ve refactored how reading works since .8?[/quote]

Might be read time on the book being higher: if I read the JSON right, it’s base 35 min per read cycle, so roughly 6 cycles there.

Ya, same character with the same stats I posted above.

I don’t think it’s the reading rate either, because I’ve experienced what felt like extremely slow skill progression vs what felt like normal skill progression with the same book.

That said, I think this will be a good way to better define this problem. If a book’s description says it takes “X minutes to read”, should my skill % rise after every X minutes?

More specific example:
I’m reading sewing techniques for designers. It’s listed as 30 min read time. My skill % only increases about every hour and a half. With around 70 focus, regardless of how hungry or thirsty I am.

No, it takes you 30 mins to actually raise your skill. EXAMPLE

You read for 30 mins. Your skill percentage only gets raised, not the skill number.

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:11, topic:5960”]No, it takes you 30 mins to actually raise your skill. EXAMPLE

You read for 30 mins. Your skill percentage only gets raised, not the skill number.[/quote]

Heh. I know. That’s why I used the % symbol. I mean exactly what I said. The percentage didn’t go up every 30 min. It went up like every 90.

More info, I was reading a different book without issue, took it to the basement at night to read it by my lightstrip, and ran into this issue all over again. The next morning I read upstairs, no problem.

This seems like it might be expected behavior. Can someone confirm that read-time is affected by the how much light is available?

Anecdotal confirmation, at least. The dimmer light gets, the longer it seems to take between skill percentage improvements from reading.

Yes, light level affects reading speed.

Thanks!

Update: I’ve read through another advanced book in the basement using only the light from a light-strip, and my character’s reading rate was the same as advertised on the item. I have a strong suspicion there’s a sporadic bug involved here.

having a lightstrip on you is specifically ‘good enough’, it’s kind of assumed that you’re using it to read.
if you drop it on the ground it will be significantly less effective.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:18, topic:5960”]having a lightstrip on you is specifically ‘good enough’, it’s kind of assumed that you’re using it to read.
if you drop it on the ground it will be significantly less effective.[/quote]
That’s lame. If theres a lightsource on your square you’re character shoujld use it to read.

[quote=“esran, post:19, topic:5960”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:18, topic:5960”]having a lightstrip on you is specifically ‘good enough’, it’s kind of assumed that you’re using it to read.
if you drop it on the ground it will be significantly less effective.[/quote]
That’s lame. If theres a lightsource on your square you’re character shoujld use it to read.[/quote]

I imagine it acts a lot like a book light (mini light that acts like a bookmark). Works great in the book, not so great on the floor though.