[0.6git] reading is reeaaaaallly slllloooow

Reading books makes the game hang for like, actual irl minutes. like it increments 15 game minutes every 20 seconds or so, but if there’s no reason for your character to stop reading, it seems like, it’ll go for hours and hours at a time. like up to 12 hours or more. and at an IRL minute per hour or so, it means that the game can could stuck reading for like 5-15 minutes, unless you get lucky and a monster wanders by or you get tired (hungry and thirsty don’t seem to proc it).

Seconded. It’s been slow since 29May at least, and sleep seems kinda laggy too. (I liked it better when it just jumped to wake-up–can the player manually wake the character?)

To be clear: I’m used to about 5 seconds of dead-time and then jumping to character-wakeup. Seemed reasonable: character’s asleep, so can’t really monitor or do anything. Now it takes about 10-15 seconds total of watching the time and conditions change, but I can’t actually do anything about it so far as I know–not like I can manual-wake the character if I see a break in the weather, etc.

(Edited to clarify sleep complaint-KA101)

This is a pure guess out of my side but maybe its simulating more out of the world than it did before?

I agree that it is a bit slow for the increment of time sometimes.

Edit: Sleeping is fine for me too I should have mentioned this thanks grismentum.

I also just noticed that on “hard to read” books, the game seems to instantly process a certain amount of time before asking me if i actually want to read, but it does it relatively quickly. Then slow reading proceeds as normal.

I actually haven’t experienced the sleep slowdown. Although it’s definitely slower than it used to be, it feels relatively reasonable, actually. like 30 game minutes every .5 IRL seconds or so.

This is all on Windows, right? It’s a known issue, that nobody really has a solution for at the moment.

Although… I wonder if the SDL version has the same issues. Can someone grab an SDL build (such as this one), and see if that runs any better? I’ll test the Linux SDL build, as well.

EDIT: Reading in the Linux SDL version seems to be about as fast as the main Linux ncurses version.

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:1707”][…]To be clear: I’m used to about 5 seconds of dead-time and then jumping to character-wakeup. Seemed reasonable: character’s asleep, so can’t really monitor or do anything. Now it takes about 10-15 seconds total of watching the time and conditions change, but I can’t actually do anything about it so far as I know–not like I can manual-wake the character if I see a break in the weather, etc.[…][/quote]You’re supposed to be able to watch the time and conditions change – those of us who play the Linux ncurses version have been seeing this from the start. Taking 20 seconds for 15 minutes of game time, however, is not acceptable – something more like 1 second or so is expected.

Incidentally, reading is interruptible, but the keybind for that (’.’) is not exactly logical.

Yeah, on windows.

Now I just got another crazy time bug: I was reading indoors in power armor (unpowered) and sure, it was 80 degrees F, maybe a little warm. Suddenly my Thirst spiked to Parched, -650% Thirst, and I don’t think there’s enough water on earth to return me to normal. And the reading still wouldn’t stop. I got the message “4 days… no water…” which is insane because I drank right before I started reading.

I kind of circumvent that problem by manually reading the books, which means no automatic studying.
Although imho it takes way too long to read books atm anyway (0.6 some nightly build windows), plus the focus issue which i think has already been mentioned elsewhere.

[quote=“grisamentum, post:7, topic:1707”]Yeah, on windows.

Now I just got another crazy time bug: I was reading indoors in power armor (unpowered) and sure, it was 80 degrees F, maybe a little warm. Suddenly my Thirst spiked to Parched, -650% Thirst, and I don’t think there’s enough water on earth to return me to normal. And the reading still wouldn’t stop. I got the message “4 days… no water…” which is insane because I drank right before I started reading.[/quote]

With unpowered power armor (especially the Mk. I), you’re going to melt no matter the temperature. It has a warmth rating of 90 (!), which is roughly equivalent to two woollen sweaters, in the midsummer sun.

Now, the 4 days… no water… message is kind of a bug; it means that your thirst is equivalent to the thirst you would be having 4 days after you last drank anything, under normal conditions.

Heat speeds the thirst meter up, meaning that this particular message will appear sooner.

Anyway; the moral of the story is this:

Don’t wear unpowered Power Armor, especially not the Mk. I (The Mk. II-L is actually fairly serviceable in the winter, even unpowered.)

[quote=“Scheuche, post:8, topic:1707”]I kind of circumvent that problem by manually reading the books, which means no automatic studying.
Although imho it takes way too long to read books atm anyway (0.6 some nightly build windows), plus the focus issue which i think has already been mentioned elsewhere.[/quote]

That’s what I do usually. Bind the book to ‘N’ and then simply repeat R N N - R N N - R N N - R N N until finished.

[quote=“prytoclasm, post:10, topic:1707”][quote=“Scheuche, post:8, topic:1707”]I kind of circumvent that problem by manually reading the books, which means no automatic studying.
Although imho it takes way too long to read books atm anyway (0.6 some nightly build windows), plus the focus issue which i think has already been mentioned elsewhere.[/quote]

That’s what I do usually. Bind the book to ‘N’ and then simply repeat R N N - R N N - R N N - R N N until finished.[/quote]

You could wield it and AN until finished. No reassignment necessary.

[quote=“Williham, post:9, topic:1707”][quote=“grisamentum, post:7, topic:1707”]Yeah, on windows.

Now I just got another crazy time bug: I was reading indoors in power armor (unpowered) and sure, it was 80 degrees F, maybe a little warm. Suddenly my Thirst spiked to Parched, -650% Thirst, and I don’t think there’s enough water on earth to return me to normal. And the reading still wouldn’t stop. I got the message “4 days… no water…” which is insane because I drank right before I started reading.[/quote]

With unpowered power armor (especially the Mk. I), you’re going to melt no matter the temperature. It has a warmth rating of 90 (!), which is roughly equivalent to two woollen sweaters, in the midsummer sun.

Now, the 4 days… no water… message is kind of a bug; it means that your thirst is equivalent to the thirst you would be having 4 days after you last drank anything, under normal conditions.

Heat speeds the thirst meter up, meaning that this particular message will appear sooner.

Don’t wear unpowered Power Armor, especially not the Mk. I (The Mk. II-L is actually fairly serviceable in the winter, even unpowered.)[/quote]

You missed the point. The point is that I went from totally unparched to -650% thirst in the period of time between me pressing read and the game asking me “Study mechanics?” Some kind of weird time-warp happens where no game time should have passed.

Also, but sorry, I can stand outside in a double wool suit in real life for 15 minutes and not die of thirst, though, of course, this is an entirely different issue.

[quote=“grisamentum, post:12, topic:1707”][quote=“Williham, post:9, topic:1707”][quote=“grisamentum, post:7, topic:1707”]Yeah, on windows.

Don’t wear unpowered Power Armor, especially not the Mk. I (The Mk. II-L is actually fairly serviceable in the winter, even unpowered.)[/quote]

You missed the point. The point is that I went from totally unparched to -650% thirst in the period of time between me pressing read and the game asking me “Study mechanics?” Some kind of weird time-warp happens where no game time should have passed.

Also, but sorry, I can stand outside in a double wool suit in real life for 15 minutes and not die of thirst, though, of course, this is an entirely different issue.[/quote]

Well, I can speak to your suit-wearing skills, but the power armor still gives 90 warmth, which is a lot, which is my point.

[quote=“Williham, post:13, topic:1707”][quote=“grisamentum, post:12, topic:1707”][quote=“Williham, post:9, topic:1707”][quote=“grisamentum, post:7, topic:1707”]Yeah, on windows.

Also, but sorry, I can stand outside in a double wool suit in real life for 15 minutes and not die of thirst, though, of course, this is an entirely different issue.[/quote]

Well, I can speak to your suit-wearing skills, but the power armor still gives 90 warmth, which is a lot, which is my point.[/quote]

And my point is that if you compare the power armor’s “90” figure to an equivalent of real-world clothes, you wouldn’t have sufficient clothes to cause severe heatstroke/dehydration in an extremely short amount of time.

Is “90” a relatively high figure in the game? Of course. Does that mean it should be able to cause immediate dehydration such that I needed to drink dozens of gallons of water to “fix” it? Does that even make sense? No.

Erm, calm down, guys. That definitely sounds like a bug – something like an integer underflow (the opposite of an overflow). Has anyone told Shoes and/or reported this on the bug tracker? I’m sure it’ll be seen here, too, but I think more people check the bug tracker.

Hey, it’s fixed in the SDL version of windows? : )
At least, it has been for me…

Oh, I didn’t know. that’s quite helpful, thanks.

[quote=“Dzlan, post:16, topic:1707”]Hey, it’s fixed in the SDL version of windows? : )
At least, it has been for me…[/quote]

What is?

If you’re referring to the unreasonable lag while reading: that IS one of the things I was hoping the SDL version would be good for, yes.

Yeah, I’m sure this topic was referring to the Lag when reading.

Awesome, just wanted to confirm we were both talking about the same thing :).