0.a 2084/2085 (Bug) Cannot hit anything

0.a 2085 (0caaf7d) and version 2084 too
SDL
Windows 7

So, I have Krav Maga, a wakizashi, a melee skill of 6, cutting weapons 4, and the only encumberance I have is 2 on my mouth and 2 on my head, and when I remove them it makes no difference. Whenever I try hitting a zombie or other similar creature, if I have Krav Maga equipped with my wakizashi my character feints everytime she tries to hit. If I take no style then I get the “You swing wildly and miss” message.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, when I reached level 5 in melee I couldn’t hit anything, and I leveled to 6 by feinting.

Version 2082 same problem. 0 enc, 3 melee and wielding a machete.

Edit:

Updated to 2086. Changing weapons or trying to fight unarmed doesn’t fix it. Throwing is the only reliable method of fighting.

Confirmed, version 2085, same shit happening to my char now. Was doing fine until I crashed at advanced inventory screen item movement. After reloading char from autosave he’s unable to hit anything. Also it seems the world is loading from a save more slowly than usual, but I’m not very sure about it.

Melee 5, bashing 3, unarmed 2, dodging 2, wielding a quarterstaff. Changing style from brawling to no style and reloading doesn’t work, nor does changing from no style to brawling.

Having the same issue on 2085. First time it happened I did everything I could think of before deleting my entire game folder and starting fresh. Played for a while on a fresh install and got the bug again! I’m pretty sure closing and re-entering the game has something to do with it.

Edit: Did some testing and found out a few things:

1. Bug applies to world save – after dying and starting up a new character on the same world the bug applies from the get-go
  2. Bug does not apply to newly created worlds with the exception of…
  3. Creating a new world AFTER deleting the old, bugged world but BEFORE closing out of the game program itself appears to transfer the bug to your new world
  4. Bug does not appear until closing out of the game program and loading it back up

Hi guys, I have this bug in the experimental 2086 (Windows Tiles).

My bow hunter can’t hit anything, even at pointblank range. I tried firing arrows at a zombie, and it kept dodging my shots. I was also unable to hit it with the bow (lol) and the new hunting knife that Rivet has added. My character has both archery and marksmanship at level 2, but I still can’t hit anything… :wink:

Thanks for reporting all, I’m working on a fix right now.
We’ve been migrating creature stats to a unified class to streamline the code, and it turns out “speed” (number of moves per turn) is duplicated. A recent save/load overhaul ended up with the monster-specific speed stat being uninitialized, which is only used for a few things. What you’re seeing is monsters having infinite dodge speed after a load, but it doesn’t affect their movement speed.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:6, topic:7345”]Thanks for reporting all, I’m working on a fix right now.
We’ve been migrating creature stats to a unified class to streamline the code, and it turns out “speed” (number of moves per turn) is duplicated. A recent save/load overhaul ended up with the monster-specific speed stat being uninitialized, which is only used for a few things. What you’re seeing is monsters having infinite dodge speed after a load, but it doesn’t affect their movement speed.[/quote]

Oooooh… Well, I hope it get fixed soon …

Candidate fix: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/9007

Is this supposed to be fixed on 0.B?
I’m playing on my Mac and have gone through this twice. The first time it was a Zombie that I could never hit, and today it was a rat I found in the basement of the first house I raided. Needless to say, it was very frustrating to die to a rat after all the preparations I had done and managing to enter the house without attracting zeds…
Is there a way to easily fix this now?

Yes.

Encumbrance, skills, etc?

[quote=“KA101, post:10, topic:7345”]Yes.

Encumbrance, skills, etc?[/quote]

Well, since I did not expect it to happen (I had not played in a while and I usually don’t last too long, so I don’t get too paranoid) I have no access to the encumbrance numbers. I’m pretty sure I was encumbered though, since I couldn’t carry anything else (I was looking for a backpack), however I got attacked by two zombies during the fight and managed to hit both, and even kill one of them, who went flying away (critical, I guess). What I can do is show you the memorial file:

[spoiler]Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead version 0.B memorial file

In memory of: Ian Cleere
"Unfair"

He was an unemployed male when the apocalypse began.
He died on Spring of year 1, day 1, at 12:54:18PM.
He was killed in a basement in Hull.

Cash on hand: $0

Final HP:
Head: 0/72
Torso: 86/90
L Arm: 80/90
R Arm: 90/90
L Leg: 58/90
R Leg: 62/90

Final Stats:
Str 7 Dex 7 Int 7 Per 6
Base Stats:
Str 10 Dex 10 Int 10 Per 8

Final Messages:
12:53:42PM You miss.
12:53:42PM You block a little of the damage with your right leg!
12:53:42PM The sewer rat hits your right leg, but your armor protects you.
12:53:48PM The shrieker zombie hits your left arm, but your armor protects you.
12:53:48PM The sewer rat hits your torso, but your armor protects you.
12:53:54PM You miss.
12:53:54PM You block a little of the damage with your right leg!
12:53:54PM The shrieker zombie hits your right leg.
12:53:54PM The sewer rat hits your torso, but your armor protects you.
12:54:00PM The shrieker zombie hits your torso, but your armor protects you.
12:54:00PM The sewer rat hits your torso, but your armor protects you.
12:54:06PM Your torso encumbrance throws you off-balance.
12:54:06PM You miss.
12:54:06PM You block a little of the damage with your left leg!
12:54:06PM The shrieker zombie hits your left leg.
12:54:06PM The sewer rat hits your torso, but your armor protects you.
12:54:12PM The shrieker zombie hits your left arm, but your armor protects you.
12:54:12PM The sewer rat hits your torso, but your armor protects you.
12:54:18PM The shrieker zombie hits your head.
12:54:18PM The sewer rat hits your left arm, but your armor protects you.

Kills:
Z - 1 zombie
Total kills: 1

Skills:
bartering: 0 (0%)
computers: 0 (0%)
construction: 0 (56%)
cooking: 0 (0%)
driving: 0 (0%)
electronics: 0 (0%)
fabrication: 0 (39%)
first aid: 0 (0%)
mechanics: 0 (0%)
speaking: 0 (0%)
survival: 0 (19%)
swimming: 0 (0%)
tailoring: 0 (0%)
trapping: 0 (0%)
archery: 0 (0%)
bashing weapons: 0 (51%)
cutting weapons: 0 (4%)
dodging: 0 (4%)
marksmanship: 0 (0%)
launchers: 0 (0%)
melee: 1 (64%)
piercing weapons: 0 (76%)
throwing: 0 (0%)
unarmed combat: 0 (0%)
handguns: 0 (0%)
rifles: 0 (0%)
shotguns: 0 (0%)
submachine guns: 0 (0%)

Traits:
Addictive Personality
Disease Resistant
Glass Jaw
Light Step
Night Vision
Quick

Ongoing Effects:
Bite - Left Arm
Chilly head
Chilly face
Chilly hand
Chilly hand
Pain (51)
Bionics:
No bionics were installed.
Power: 0/0

Weapon:
h - pocket knife

Equipment:
a - boxer shorts (fits)
b - tattered jeans (fits)
c - ripped long-sleeved shirt (fits)
d - pair of socks (fits)
e - winter coat (fits)
f - pair of winter boots (fits)
u - dust mask
v - pair of eyeglasses

Inventory:
o - dog food
g - lighter (11)
j - matchbook (20)
m - umbrella
i - plastic bottle of clean water (1)
n - book of tall tales (24)
l - aluminum can
q - plastic bag of fungicide (400)
r - soap bar (25)
w - solder (200)
t - thread (50)

Lifetime Stats
Distance walked: 1753 squares
Damage taken: 109 damage
Damage healed: 0 damage
Headshots: 0

Game History
| Year 1, Spring 1, 8:00:00 AM | evac shelter | Ian Cleere began their journey into the Cataclysm.
| Year 1, Spring 1, 12:48:12PM | house | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 1, 12:52:12PM | basement | Worn wool poncho was completely destroyed.
| Year 1, Spring 1, 12:54:18PM | basement | Ian Cleere was killed.
| Year 1, Spring 1, 12:54:18PM | basement | Last words: Last words: %s[/spoiler]

Yeah, torso encumbrance threw you off-balance. Trying to whack a little rat whilst in your big heavy winter coat & boots might not work well IRL and it definitely requires skill here.

Not a bug. Throwing can be easier at low levels.

[quote=“KA101, post:12, topic:7345”]Yeah, torso encumbrance threw you off-balance. Trying to whack a little rat whilst in your big heavy winter coat & boots might not work well IRL and it definitely requires skill here.

Not a bug. Throwing can be easier at low levels.[/quote]

I see! Interesting!
Yeah, encumbrance mechanics are still a little foggy to me, I never know when to drape myself in a lot of things or not, especially when going out, since I need the warmth, pockets and protection, but also need to be able to carry more stuff back and the weight of all of it doesn’t help. Am I expected to change my clothing arrangements before zombies reach me if it could become a hindrance in the fight, or should I have just run in that case?

[quote=“LordOfganza, post:13, topic:7345”][quote=“KA101, post:12, topic:7345”]Yeah, torso encumbrance threw you off-balance. Trying to whack a little rat whilst in your big heavy winter coat & boots might not work well IRL and it definitely requires skill here.

Not a bug. Throwing can be easier at low levels.[/quote]

I see! Interesting!
Yeah, encumbrance mechanics are still a little foggy to me, I never know when to drape myself in a lot of things or not, especially when going out, since I need the warmth, pockets and protection, but also need to be able to carry more stuff back and the weight of all of it doesn’t help. Am I expected to change my clothing arrangements before zombies reach me if it could become a hindrance in the fight, or should I have just run in that case?[/quote]

Either works, but I’d have suggested throwing something at the rat or running. DDA puts a lot of value into picking fights carefully and stacking the deck (terrain, etc) in your favor in the early going.