[0.6 git] slings increase firearms?

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:20, topic:1703”]The problem with most of the arguments so far (aside from Williham’s) is that they are… irrelevant, at best, even if true.

We are talking about a skill. So arguing the physical difference between guns, crossbows, bows and slings is… absurd, really. Pointless. The mechanism doesn’t matter. Skill is all about how good a player is at doing whatever it is they are doing.[/quote]

I tend to agree with this. Here’s an idea for some skill categories:

Throwing
Archery
Handguns
Long Guns
Automatic Weapons
Gunsmithing

Maintaining some level of cross-skilling among weapons would make the most sense, just as all guns use “firearms” now plus their respective category, but without having a super-generic “firearms” category.

For example, an AK-47 would be both Automatic Weapons and Long Guns, but a Remington 700 would be only in Long Guns; the M249 would conceivably only go in Automatic Weapons to emphasize its difference from typical battle rifles; submachine guns would be Automatic Weapons and Handguns (arguable for some models, of course); you could have a small hand crossbow that’s in Handguns, and a large crossbow that’s in Long Guns; shotguns are Long Guns; bows and slingshots would be in Archery, and Slings could be in Throwing and Archery, or perhaps just Throwing. Grenade Launchers… maybe Throwing + Long Guns?

“Gunsmithing” could allow installation of mods at level 0 or 1 (with risk of damaging gun); custom ammo at 1 to 5, and the creation of mods at 6+; with repairing guns at various success levels along the way (with raw materials like wood, metal, etc; though I’m not sure how well you could repair certain advanced materials like carbon fiber and plastic.)

Also, for long-range shooting, maybe it should use Long Guns * Focus?

Hmm, maybe this thread should be in the Lab subforum now, instead of the Garage.

We already have a single melee stat. Which makes about as much sense as a single ranged stat if you know anything about hand to hand combat. It’s a game, and some aspects are meant to enhance gameplay. I think the catchall skills that are used with a large set of subskills is so the player’s character doesn’t go “How do i fight?!?” after picking up a weapon type he has no experience in.

Additionally, if you want to argue how a weapon is used, might start dividing up the melee skills as well. A rapier is held and used very differently from a broadsword or spear. So, by the logic being presented in this thread, they can’t be in piercing weapons nor slashing weapons! They need their own skill!

Fact of the matter is, the game has an archerry skill, and when joe average thinks of a crossbow, he thinks of archery. just change the name to something more generic if it really bothers people that much (“low kinetics energy weapons?” “non-chemical ranged?” “The skill of outdated strings and rubbers” “Who cares what this skill is called, it’s for crossbows, slingshots and bows!”).

[b]Oi!

Your getting off topic!

Slings shouldn’t increase firearms but it should increase accuracy because many of the same techniques used for slings/slingshots/bows/crossbows/whathaveyou are cross-compatible. So a new skill: accuracy needs added hmmm?[/b]

firearms IS the accuracy skill.

tl;dr

How about renaming it to “marksmanship”?

Williham I agree with a lot of those points. And thanks for the reply to my post.
But, in my opinion (Many may agree or disagree)
I still dislike being able to shoot a wall and leveling up the skill.

1. It’s still video game and needing to level up the skill needs to involve more then that. (Realism vs Gameplay)
  2. Shooting a Zombie or a Target is not essentially the same. You need to actually hit these…
    A wall, you can just shoot, and well, I’d be bloody surprised if ya missed.
  3. A Target is used to check accuracy to see how many shots hit it and how many missed, and some times, to train on certain body parts, like training for head shots, and wrists, ect.

Maybe, targets can be added that break after a considerable amount of damage???
And they can level up firearms slower then usual? Because nothing beats real experience… : )

These are of course, just ideas?

[quote=“Dzlan, post:27, topic:1703”]Williham I agree with a lot of those points. And thanks for the reply to my post.
But, in my opinion (Many may agree or disagree)
I still dislike being able to shoot a wall and leveling up the skill.

1. It’s still video game and needing to level up the skill needs to involve more then that. (Realism vs Gameplay)
  2. Shooting a Zombie or a Target is not essentially the same. You need to actually hit these…
    A wall, you can just shoot, and well, I’d be bloody surprised if ya missed.
  3. A Target is used to check accuracy to see how many shots hit it and how many missed, and some times, to train on certain body parts, like training for head shots, and wrists, ect.

Maybe, targets can be added that break after a considerable amount of damage???
And they can level up firearms slower then usual? Because nothing beats real experience… : )

These are of course, just ideas?[/quote]

The thing about it is: This is the kind of game where realism is kind of important. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, you’re not aiming at the wall, you’re aiming at some specific spot on the wall. Now, of course you are going to hit the wall, but maybe not where you aimed, and from that you learn.

The Skyrim kind of training where you only train a skill if you’re using it on a “valid target” is a completely artificial limitation, and it’s used as a counterbalance to the fact that pretty much all resources are immediately renewable.

In C:DDA, if you’re training, say, archery on a wall, your arrows will occasionally break, meaning you will run out of arrows; so there’s still a cost attached to training the skill.

Also, research shows that training skills under “real world” conditions is a terrible idea. What you want to do is to train a skill under controlled, low-stress conditions, so that you can effectively use them under stressful conditions.

In other words: Fighting zombies should level up skills slower than fighting a wall, because the high-stress nature of the engagement means that you learn less!

[quote=“JimQuaid, post:26, topic:1703”]tl;dr

How about renaming it to “marksmanship”?[/quote]

But it is also the gun mod-installing skill and a part of ammo crafting skill. This is part of the problem. I use a sling for a while and now I know how to install a scope on a rifle. wat.

[quote=“JimQuaid, post:26, topic:1703”]tl;dr

How about renaming it to “marksmanship”?[/quote]

Winner

So, here’s the skill breakdown:

Basic ranged weapon skills:
Marksmanship - practiced by firing any ranged weapon and throwing, improves aim and weapon handling.
- Represents, hand-eye coordination, target leading, judging distance, ballistics, etc…
Weapon handling - practiced by reloading, applying weapon mods, etc, improves reloading speed, maintenance if we add that.
Mechanics - crafting ammo. There’s no reason to magically learn how to press ammo from handling guns.

Weapon-specific skills - Accuracy, reloading, handling, etc for the specific weapon class.
Rifles - Weapon with a shoulder-stock and sights (irons or scope)
Includes conventional rifles, assault rifles, crossbows, and pistols with a modded-on shoulder stock. Oh, and laser rifles.

Pistols - Weapons with a “pistol grip” and sights.
Glock 19, laser pistols, a theoretical hand crossbow.

Bows - Weapons with an elastic action drawn with both hands.
Longbow, slingshot

Throwing - throwing, and tools that provide throwing assistance.
Thrown items, atlatl, sling

Heavy weapons - Works somewhat differently, more about handling than very high precision, because these aren’t precision weapons. Yes, this is a compromise because we don’t want a proliferation of different skills for every wacky heavy weapon type.
grenade launchers, LAWs, flamethrowers, RPGs

RE: Target practice, I totally agree with William, the “only attacking valid targets” thing is game-y and pointless in our context, for ranged weapons at least. Shooting a target < shooting a moving target < shooting a live target has some validity, but to get good with a gun, you realisticly need to put tens of thousands of rounds downrange, handling guns proficiently is HARD, and you just don’t have that many live targets to shoot at. We aren’t going that far, but as William notes, the trope sticks around because they want an easy way to prevent skill advancement. In our context though, you have real costs of practicing, including time spent (those food/water/fatigue levels aren’t going down on their own), resource expendature, risk of being noticed (currently this isn’t a major issue, but it will be again), and xp/focus expenditure. If you can secure sufficient resources, you can practice all you want, hell we might want a practice action to make it less of a time sink.

If this really annoys us and we think of a good way to do it, there might be a skill that represents combat experience that can only be gained in combat with real enemies, so that someone that stumbles upon a ton of resources and practices for weeks before heading out into the real world would still have something to learn. Keep this in mind, it’s not the case that someone learns ALL the ins and outs of sniping*
from shooting a wall a few thousand times, it’s just that raw accuracy is the only thing we’re tracking right now, and we’re not taking all that other stuff into account.

Melee is a different matter entirely, and I think is the source of the trope. You can learn a lot about fighting without a live target, but true proficiency with any form of melee combat requires a live target. As such you can practice up to lvl 1 by smashing random stuff, then it stops practicing. We might even put a cap on skill gained from fighting certain low-strength enemies, but as it’s quite difficult to reach a point where an enemy presents NO threat, maybe not.

Seperate but related issue is conditioning, even someone who is overall “strong” or “dexterous” still needs to induce a LOT of changes in their body and mind on the road to becoming an expert an any physical endeavor. This is currently bundled up in skills, and that isn’t change any time soon, but it’s something to think about.

*Sniping is a massive bundle of skills and knowledge, only part of which is accurately firing a rifle, examples invlude spotting, determining what areas are likely hiding positions, accounting for wind, judging wind at a distance, preicting target movement, choosing shooting position, assuming a shooting posture appropriate for the situation, target acquisition speed, etc, etc, etc.

You can’t call a firearm a “pistol” just because it has a “pistol grip.” An AK-47 has a pistol grip. Lots of tactical shotguns have pistol grips.

No, but you can call it an ASSUALT W3PON!111

[size=8pt]Sorry, couldn’t resist.[/size]

Correct, I was imprecise, I meant “one-handed ranged weapons with a pistol grip and no stock”.

Also that points out that I forgot “two-handed ranged weapons with no stock”, not sure what to call that, “Assault weapons”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Correct, I was imprecise, I meant “one-handed ranged weapons with a pistol grip and no stock”.

Also that points out that I forgot “two-handed ranged weapons with no stock”, not sure what to call that, “Assault weapons”? :P[/quote]

Haha. But what two-handed firearms have no stock?

Argh.

Realism<gameplay

Nuff said, we don’t need to discuss ballistics.

Also that points out that I forgot “two-handed ranged weapons with no stock”, not sure what to call that, “Assault weapons”? :P[/quote]

Aforementioned tactical shotguns, some SMGs. Good idea? doubt it. but do they exist? sure.
Haha. But what two-handed firearms have no stock?[/quote]