What was your biggest facepalm?

Simply keeping the rooms in the science lab with the turrets in closed, and then holding down the 2 key and running straight into one and getting obliterated in about 1 turn.

I was doing a night raid of a highly infested town. Everything was going swimmingly and I found a copy of Mechanical Mastery in a garage. Instead of retreating to my APC and then to my mansion to read it, I sat down in the garage and skimmed it with my flashlight on. A hulk came over to enforce the town’s “lights out” po+licy. Thanks to my follower in power armor, I survived, but I was beaten to a pulp.

On the plus side, I earlier avoided a facepalm moment when I was exploring a gas station and saw a shocker brute in the distance. I realized that engaging a shocker brute with a gas station to my back could only end in tears and flames and booked out to a nearby garage. Then see above. Still, I wasn’t a complete fool that night.

Never realized control laptops work on turrets as well, through closed doors even. Makes labs so much easier.

Day 5 survivor in cleared mansion. Got nice camp by the pool for water. Got lots of bottles with gasoline booze from nearby vehicles, for future endeavors. Zombie stumbles in, breaking the glass window, dispose the zombie with no fuss… but being slightly OCD I want to do something about the broken window, no ducttape around… so maybe its time to just build a wall there! How to remove the old window structure? Well. Project and effort escalate and soon the roof plunges down on my stuff. Day 6 survivor makes a digging stick and clears everything out and cries over pools of spilled beer and whiskey.

Same character around day 8 realizes he is on same screen with a bear, decides to dart off in totally opposite direction in hope of it not aggroing… straight into plain open visible and map-(N)oted minefield with obvious results, ending up being very broken survivor, crawling to the aforementioned mansion while trying to evade everyone who was invited to check the BOOM.

Had 2 broken arms. Finally found the only hospital. Wanted to read, but to walk outside for light was too hard. Entire hospital burns down. Still 2 broken arms.

Can’t cook inside with a brazier unless you’ve got a way to deal with the smoke, though. Fireplace and wood stove apparently come with a chimney.

Can’t cook inside with a brazier unless you’ve got a way to deal with the smoke, though. Fireplace and wood stove apparently come with a chimney.[/quote]

People say that, but I haven’t seen a problem with smoke in a long time.

Can’t cook inside with a brazier unless you’ve got a way to deal with the smoke, though. Fireplace and wood stove apparently come with a chimney.[/quote]

People say that, but I haven’t seen a problem with smoke in a long time.[/quote]

I think as long as you burn a single two by four or a heavy stick you’re fine, because I sometimes used 2 or even 3 of them and had no smoke. ( I did burn that evac shelter basement though )

Very early in my Cataclysm experience I was searching a house and opened a bathroom door only to find myself face to face with a terrifying creature that I had never seen before. (Note: I was using Chesthole32 at the time) After flying into a noobish panic and nearly peeing myself I decided that the most sensible course of action was to eliminate it with extreme prejudice. I unloaded a burst from my sten into it which flew straight past it, out a window, and into the street where it promptly detonated the gas tank of an ambulance that was outside the house. A massive chain reaction ensued as the gas tanks of other cars lit up and the house that I was in was completely leveled. Burying both me and the completely harmless wolf suit that I had just finished trying to annihilate beneath the rubble.

I think this might be the best one yet :stuck_out_tongue:

I think this might be the best one yet :P[/quote]

+1

I also use a graphic version and on the tileset I am using the wolf suit looks somewhat like an actual enemy, so I understand why you would attack it. Still, that luck…

Wolf suit has made me jump many times. Dinosaur suit and gilly (sp?) suit also, but usually to a lesser extent.

Even the ANBC suit usually makes me double take… but that whatever 13 Combat Armor that takes plutonium doesn’t for some reason, even though it has the same aspects (full body rendering) that seem to be the problem for the others.

Chased by many of zombies, saw a car with some fuel and battery, turn the engine on and then hit the gas until reach high speed, hold 5 key because I was panicked until I saw this message…

Yeah, I forgot to check the tires condition.

Hoo boy, here’s a gem for ya.

Survivor made it a year. Good gear, good supplies, working on shoring up the base so I can install a frame from the solar farm outside to the crafting stuff inside. To do this I needed to knock down a couple of walls. Walls next to doors are structural and load bearing. My crafting station was right next to the section of wall I was knocking down. One rubble fall later, in pain, with my gear torn up and a decent amount of injuries I realize what I have done. Well fuck.

putting a wheel onto a damaged extra light frame and having said wheel snap off when i hit a bush

My survivor just got his hands on a working ambulance, and was driving it out of town when he runs into a smoker zombie that explodes with such force as to destroy the frame underneath the driver’s seat. The rest of the ambulance rams into him, killing him instantly.

I’d read about landmines so I thought I knew what to look for, but alas I didn’t realize that the huge crater in my town was an active minefield. I discovered How They Do and then returned with another similar character to loot myself.

Whereupon I noticed the signs warning of an active minefield.

when i realized i beat a skeleton to death with a knife sheath rather than the knife in the sheath

I have been fighting a mi-go, but sucker wasn’t taking much damage even though I had unarmed and melee at 4. When its almost dead, I go to the inventory…

Wielding: Heavy Survivor Boots With Punch Knife

… * facepalm *

Getting up in morning, going out to scavenging tour in town, found out I seemed to miss and getting hit a lot more, thought that it was RNG issue until when I was trying to cross a metal wreckage pile and a message showed up telling me that my blanket was torn.
This has happened for multiple times with my characters, and IIRC at least one of them is fatal.