What was your biggest facepalm?

What’s the biggest facepalm you had?

I currently have a good thing going with Kevin and I think he is one of my guys that survived in a city the longest (I’m pretty new to the game). So I was looting this town and I got more zombies than comfortable chasing me, so I decided to run back to a car I found just outside of city. I run into it and try to start it up, but it fails. I try a few more times and it doesn’t work. I run out the other door, but on the way decide to check what’s wrong. I didn’t find out, but even if it did start I wouldn’t go far without wheels. Here I facepalmed
Now Kevin is sitting in a random house with a gun in his hands planning how to get back all his stuff that he left in the car before he went looting.

Lesson learned, always check if a car works before planning anything with it in the future.

I was bunkering myself up in an evac shelter, my things sorted neatly on the benches.

I was cooking using a 2 by 4 that was just lying on the floor in the shelter. Though that it would be safe.

It wasn’t.

The shelter burned, along with 99% of my stuff.

I deleted that save afterwards.

tl;dr: Always build that stone fireplace from 40 rocks.

A brazier is sufficient and requires minimal fabrication skill, a single rock, and two sheet metals from the lockers.

My most recent facepalm was discovering that laser turrets don’t hold friend/foe identification for very long. I set up a laser turret to guard me while doing some repairs on my truck and it turned hostile and attacked me. I managed to find cover, but I couldn’t exactly learn computers 6 and build a control laptop to regain control and had to abandon the truck. And eventually the save.

A long time ago, on one of my earliest stable release characters I activated a mininuke in order to blow open a lab armoury.

As I moved several map tiles away just to be safe I wondered “what’s that clickin’ noise?”

The active mininuke I failed to drop exploded shortly there after. I had to take a break after how hard I facedesked.

Had a decent set up. Booze, guns, ammo, the works. Unfortunately I had a bad case of the broken legs and insomnia. So I choose to have the character smoke a joint to unwind and go to sleep right next to the dresser full of whiskey and .45. If choose to try to sleep with a lit cig or joint be aware that it takes less time to fall asleep than it does for the joint to extinguish.

Parked next to a gas station to fill up my laser turret-festooned deathmobile thinking “surely no zombie will run out of that nearby building and cause my lasers to shoot at it and accidentally hit the gas pump and set me on fire and kill me in a massive explosion”.

Oh how wrong I was.

On my third try ever I slept in a car out in the wilderness thinking if anything attacked the car surely it would wake me up.

I woke up to the message something is making a noise. Saw a bear attacking the car. Before I could do anything the car exploded with me inside, instantly killing my survivor.

I remember the first time I wanted to make a base. It was a school, and couple of the windows were broken. I had vague ideas that I’d turn the place into a mansion… I really liked the surplus of books and food. I hadn’t played much, and for some reason I thought I’d have to destroy the window frame, and rebuild the window from scratch. So yeah, it didn’t occur to me to try to just install a new window… Anyway, a sledgehammer and a few good swings. The window frame goes poof and at the same time about a hundred roof tiles collapse, destroying half of the library…

“I guess that settles that then.”

And that was the last time I ever wanted to turn a building into a base.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:8, topic:12678”]I remember the first time I wanted to make a base. It was a school, and couple of the windows were broken. I had vague ideas that I’d turn the place into a mansion… I really liked the surplus of books and food. I hadn’t played much, and for some reason I thought I’d have to destroy the window frame, and rebuild the window from scratch. So yeah, it didn’t occur to me to try to just install a new window… Anyway, a sledgehammer and a few good swings. The window frame goes poof and at the same time about a hundred roof tiles collapse, destroying half of the library…

“I guess that settles that then.”

And that was the last time I ever wanted to turn a building into a base.[/quote]

Hahahaha, I remember when I started playing this game. Back then, I was scavenging ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING from houses. All rags, nails, two by fours…

And then I went I step farther.

I destroyed doors, windows, window frames, everything in my scavenging fever. I only left the walls.

Only once I had a house collapse on me did I stop being so excessive in my looting.

Then there was that one time I installed a funnel onto a vehicle…

But not the water tank.

Ah yes. Nothing quite like bringing the wrong ammo into a lab-diving session. Not sure if I had an ARX-160 and 5.56mm ammo (and it actually accepted 7.62x39), or SCAR-H and I had brought 5.56mm ammo… Might’ve done both actually.

“The joke’s on you, game. I’ll just dump the ammo and the gun and I can carry at least 5kg more loot on the way back.”

Night raid in the city with an NPC companion. Everything goes smoothly. Time to hit the road before the sun rises. Into the car mobile! It’s still pitch black as I drive away from the city. About a screenwidth away, I notice my trusted companion isn’t sitting on her usual shotgun seat o_O. It was normally dark enough that I couldn’t see the other seat with the normal 1 tile night-time sight radius.

“Oh no… She did not…”

I open the map. Sheeee. Was back in the city. Apparently she was tired and had thought she’d take a nap in the nearby house. Why sleep in the seat when there’s a comfortable bed so close?

Mine was not realizing that unlike every other floor of the lab, the ground floor is made of wood. After I had moved my entire stash up there, and started a fire to do some cooking. I survived, but my stash didn’t, so I restarted shortly afterward.

I went on an adventure to find hoses and glass jars and such, to make me a chem set to make some fertilizer for fertilizing plants.

Only you don’t need a chem set. Chem 1 you can get with just a pot.

By biggest facepalm I think was just 2 days ago. I was doing a lab challenge, 3rd try. I had set up in a room next to a room with a turret. I discovered that if you positioned yourself just right you could use the light from the turret to craft without getting shot. Until about 6 days in when I forget to close the door before walking away to get more materials. Im currently taking a break from the lab challenge…

Simply keeping the rooms in the science lab with the turrets in closed, and then holding down the 2 key and running straight into one and getting obliterated in about 1 turn.

I was doing a night raid of a highly infested town. Everything was going swimmingly and I found a copy of Mechanical Mastery in a garage. Instead of retreating to my APC and then to my mansion to read it, I sat down in the garage and skimmed it with my flashlight on. A hulk came over to enforce the town’s “lights out” po+licy. Thanks to my follower in power armor, I survived, but I was beaten to a pulp.

On the plus side, I earlier avoided a facepalm moment when I was exploring a gas station and saw a shocker brute in the distance. I realized that engaging a shocker brute with a gas station to my back could only end in tears and flames and booked out to a nearby garage. Then see above. Still, I wasn’t a complete fool that night.

Never realized control laptops work on turrets as well, through closed doors even. Makes labs so much easier.

Day 5 survivor in cleared mansion. Got nice camp by the pool for water. Got lots of bottles with gasoline booze from nearby vehicles, for future endeavors. Zombie stumbles in, breaking the glass window, dispose the zombie with no fuss… but being slightly OCD I want to do something about the broken window, no ducttape around… so maybe its time to just build a wall there! How to remove the old window structure? Well. Project and effort escalate and soon the roof plunges down on my stuff. Day 6 survivor makes a digging stick and clears everything out and cries over pools of spilled beer and whiskey.

Same character around day 8 realizes he is on same screen with a bear, decides to dart off in totally opposite direction in hope of it not aggroing… straight into plain open visible and map-(N)oted minefield with obvious results, ending up being very broken survivor, crawling to the aforementioned mansion while trying to evade everyone who was invited to check the BOOM.

Had 2 broken arms. Finally found the only hospital. Wanted to read, but to walk outside for light was too hard. Entire hospital burns down. Still 2 broken arms.