Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

I would love to have some impregnation-spay for my clothing as an alternative to rain coats.
Maybe you need 1 fuel of impregnation for every volume of targeted cloth. The waterproof effect will be gone after some rainy days, so the normal rain coats will still be a thing.
Oh and of course the spray-can should still be a ressource for a simple flame-thrower

Well, I would also appreciate the possibillity to listen at a closed door / peek through the keyhole.

[quote=“Firn, post:3021, topic:5570”]Well, I would also appreciate the possibillity to listen at a closed door / peek through the keyhole.[/quote]We already hear sounds particularly well through doors, and I don’t think modern doors of any sort have any form of keyhole that you can actually see through…
If it’s got a peephole, you can use it, though.

but only for looking out, not in, which is the point of a peephole. I see no reason for change here, although some form of snake cam would be nice. Most doors aren’t particualrly vulnerable to snake caming though… ususally only interior doors. Hand drill and snake cam could be nice though… for wooden doors.

How about being able to have Mycus Blossoms and Sporogenesis at the same time? Why not let you have both and save having the lamer version 90% of the time.

NPCs dont know how to stealth yet, severely compromising their otherwise fairly useful nature.

A simple, ‘Stay the hell out of the bright light’ command would work?

This is perhaps made worse by your inability to ensure they will not follow you. They dont exactly accept gurd duty 100% of the time.

Would love a few more NPC commands

1 wait here
2 close all doors behind you (this one pisses me off would love a command for this one)

Not sure if it is more realistic or annoying but… real gas masks have filters that run out of “charges” after some time(a cheapest gas mask that you can get anywhere has a filter that lasts 5 minutes).
How about having to “reload” gas masks with filters to keep their enviormental protection high? Real gas masks with expired filter are still enough to protect from smoke, dust and such, but no longer protect from bioweapons, radioactive particles, and such - not sure what level of environmental protection in game would that be.

I’d like to see a handgun variant of the improved nail gun, available somewhere at the same level of skill as the other “good” survivor weapons like the pneumatic weapons. I know that the nail gun can already be improved into a nail rifle, but that is a pretty poor makeshift weapon for low-levels. I’m speficially talking about a “good” makeshift weapon. The main reason for that would be that there isn’t a high-level makeshift handgun that uses easily available ammo. There is a good, self-crafted handgun (the 12-shooter) and there are rifles which use pebbles as ammo, but there is no weapon that combines those benefits.

[quote=“MrQwerty, post:3027, topic:5570”]Not sure if it is more realistic or annoying but… real gas masks have filters that run out of “charges” after some time(a cheapest gas mask that you can get anywhere has a filter that lasts 5 minutes).
How about having to “reload” gas masks with filters to keep their enviormental protection high? Real gas masks with expired filter are still enough to protect from smoke, dust and such, but no longer protect from bioweapons, radioactive particles, and such - not sure what level of environmental protection in game would that be.[/quote]
Somebody was working on that. Somewhere. I dont know how they work exactly, but filters would be nice.

One thing that I would be very glad to see is a “portions” amount provided for ammo and other crafts. I see it in chemicals and most foods and am so pleased to know how many portions of a food/chem I will create. When I look at things like reloaded 7.62x51mm and see (20) .308 casings required, I can easily gather that (20) rounds will be created. But for handmade 8x40mm caseless, I have no clue how many rounds my effort will provide. I wonder too about flammable arrows. It requires (5) arrows, but it creates an item that has (5) charges. Does it provide (5) flammable arrows with a time limit for how long they’ll burn, or is it just one arrow?

When are we going to be able to make high-grade meth?

And will it be a nice shade of blue?

[quote=“Firn, post:3021, topic:5570”]I would love to have some impregnation-spay for my clothing as an alternative to rain coats.
Maybe you need 1 fuel of impregnation for every volume of targeted cloth. The waterproof effect will be gone after some rainy days, so the normal rain coats will still be a thing.
Oh and of course the spray-can should still be a ressource for a simple flame-thrower

Well, I would also appreciate the possibillity to listen at a closed door / peek through the keyhole.[/quote]

In the meantime I understood your responses to my ‘listen at a closed door’ suggestion. I am fairly new to CDDA and beeing a Noob doesn’t save me from trying the hospital challenge with a disfunctional cyborg over and over again. It took me a while until I realised that my cyborg wears a noise cancelling headgear, which - of course - deafend me. Now I hear all the scary sounds from behind the doors and walls. Improved listening at door system doesn’t make much sense.

Starting as a disfunctional cyborg has the huge disadvantage that you start very poorly equiped. I played a lot of games till death with this character. You are forced to look at even the smallest clothing you could ripp from killed Zeds to at least replace the foot rags with simple socks for example. So I often use the “Compare Items” (I) function steadily.
Here my suggestion for a tiny and smal improvment: I wish it could be possible to have an extra option during the “Compare Items” screen. I wish I could swap the two compared Items with one keystroke. (Of course only if same Item type) So simple, so much less inventory browsing.
If it is easy to realize?

Oh. Does anybody have some critque about my impregnation-idea above?

So, i found a Tall Office Building. I wanted to check how falling looks, so i smashed the window and taken a single step. I fell immeadietly, outside the building. Surprisingly, it wasn’t a very hard fall, but what i think it could use is some warning, like “Are you sure you want to jump out?”.

like "Are you sure you want to jump out?".
It actually should show that message. You see, ledges are considered traps and are dealt with the same. If you don't have a lot of perception or/and high skill in trapping, you'll not get the warning of stepping into the ledge. I reported that thing like 1.5 years ago.

A few suggestions:

• A toggleable in-game clock for keeping track of real-world time.

• If you choose a season with more than 99 days, there’s not enough spaces to accomodate it onscreen after day 99. Add an extra space.

• Disassembly should have a ‘5’ interrupt like crafting and reading; I’ve occasionally 'b’utchered one too many zed corpses in a stack and ended up spending hours disassembling a riot control bot or a tank drone or something.

• A toggle for “don’t warn me about noises, distant monsters, monsters trapped behind glass, etc. while I’m trying to do something unless something is ACTUALLY chewing on me.”

• Multiple sizes of backpack. Doesn’t have to be fancy: school bag, day pack, backpack, large backpack, wire-frame hiking pack.

• Option to eliminate cash cards.

• “N” for (N)oise to yell, bang pots and pans together, etc.

• Allow disassembly of doors, windows, and walls with the proper equipment, so that buildings can be modified without causing them to collapse every time you want to create a window or remove a doorway.

• Slow down fungal flowers. As it stands, they expand so quickly that the only way to stop them once they’re in the trees is to start a forest fire, which would be fine if forest fires didn’t cause massive lag and no way to wait them out except by being near them and actually watching them burn.

• Make bunkers and labs openable from the inside.

• Cigarette lighters in cars to start fires as long as there’s battery power.

• Radios for cars.

• Give PDAs mp3 player and camera functionality.

• Give laptop computers PDA, mp3, and handheld game functionality.

• Change “two-way radios” to satellite phones; it makes more sense in terms of what they do.

• More sporting goods usable as weapons in sporting good stores: javelins, shotputs, discuses, golf balls, plastic wiffle bats, hiking sticks, ski poles, field hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, cricket bats, croquet mallets, et al.

• Cow catchers for vehicles (differing from rams in that the purpose is to push things aside rather than damage them).

• Aimable spotlights for vehicles.

• The ability to "u"nload anything in the 5 space in advanced inventory so you don’t have to pick up 55 gallon drums to pour from them.

I found a phone book and was very exciting about it. Don’t know why but I expected to hear about some places on the world map. Of course the peoples adresses are not up do date as the description says. But at least hospitals or police stations could be revealable with that book

What about articles of clothing that cover different body parts having separate coverage ratings for different parts?

For example a T-shirt would cover torso 100% and the arms 20%

As a dragon turret user, invincibility to acid/fire in a vehicle (maybe make it only if there’s armor on the controls tile, or if it’s under raging fire level, idk) would be really cool. Maneuvering around fire trails so you don’t burn yourself gets tiring.

A few suggestions:

- A toggleable in-game clock for keeping track of real-world time.
eh, doesn't seem particularly useful or needed, but doesn't seem like a hard thing to add either.
- If you choose a season with more than 99 days, there's not enough spaces to accomodate it onscreen after day 99. Add an extra space.
huh. not gotten that far. Interesting.
- Disassembly should have a '5' interrupt like crafting and reading; I've occasionally 'b'utchered one too many zed corpses in a stack and ended up spending hours disassembling a riot control bot or a tank drone or something.
and a saved progress in assembly/disassembly. Always annoying when your 5 hours into a 6 hour project and then have to start all over because a zombie walked up.
- A toggle for "don't warn me about noises, distant monsters, monsters trapped behind glass, etc. while I'm trying to do something unless something is ACTUALLY chewing on me."
+1 Maybe make an option for threat level warnings: Lvl 1 anything even remotely dangerous soon as its in sight. Lvl 2 moose and other "neutrals" once, once upon tracking, and once upon hazardous status change and once when getting close. No repeats for going behind trees/out of sight. Lvl 3 Only alert to damage, fast dangers, proximity dangers, and broken objects/obstacles, visible "this" vehichle damage/destruction Lvl 4 only alert on damage, nearby obstacle destruction and visible "this" vehichle destruction Lvl 5 only alert on damage, and destruction of object __ spaces away Lvl 6 only alert on __% damage, or damage ≥ __ Lvl 7 Off

Or maybe just modulate it.
alert on damage type: any, battle damage, no
alert on low HP: __% any limb
alert on damage taken: ≥ ___
alert on new enemy spotted: any, any new, any faster than “me”, off
alert on proximity range: ___
^ alert on proximity type: all, faster than “me”, off
alert on destruction: any damage, any damage within ____, only destruction, only destruction within ___, only (visible) damage of “this” vehichle, only (visible) destruction of “this” vehichle, off

use alert set for: default, vehichle only, walking only, crafting/disassembly/construction only, etc…
make another alert set: y/n?

^if this^ then, needs its own spot in “?” menu.

- Multiple sizes of backpack. Doesn't have to be fancy: school bag, day pack, backpack, large backpack, wire-frame hiking pack.
.....? This is already a thing.... rucksack, backpack, hiking bag etc... do you want them all to say backpack on them??? Or am I misunderstanding?
- Option to eliminate cash cards.
sounds like a mod. Would mean no way to use money on gas stations, or vending machines though...
- "N" for (N)oise to yell, bang pots and pans together, etc.
+1 something like that would be nice
- Allow disassembly of doors, windows, and walls with the proper equipment, so that buildings can be modified without causing them to collapse every time you want to create a window or remove a doorway.
+1
- Slow down fungal flowers. As it stands, they expand so quickly that the only way to stop them once they're in the trees is to start a forest fire, which would be fine if forest fires didn't cause [i]massive[/i] lag and no way to wait them out except by being near them and actually watching them burn.
meh. don't live there. Or make lots of anti-fungal.
- Make bunkers and labs openable from the inside.
-1 eh.... would make lab challenges easier than they should be... I can't support that idea.
- Cigarette lighters in cars to start fires as long as there's battery power.
hmm. I guess. Part of controls. Why not. Maybe make a cigarette lighter part that has to be "added" if not already present before usable.
- Radios for cars.
already a thing.
- Give PDAs mp3 player and camera functionality.
hmm. I guess.
- Give laptop computers PDA, mp3, and handheld game functionality.
sure...
- Change "two-way radios" to satellite phones; it makes more sense in terms of what they do.
don't they get used for building drive-by wire controls or something? Also, I am unsure as to the usability of the satellites lore wise. two-way radios seems more reasonable to me....
- More sporting goods usable as weapons in sporting good stores: javelins, shotputs, discuses, golf balls, plastic wiffle bats, hiking sticks, ski poles, field hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, cricket bats, croquet mallets, et al.
sure why not. Sounds nice. Even if most of them are largely useless as weapons.
- Cow catchers for vehicles (differing from rams in that the purpose is to push things aside rather than damage them).
I know cow catchers. I am not entirely sure that is an accurate way to look at them. They are essentially bumper-plows for smashing anything that tries to do you harm/protecting the vehichle. Seems like CDDA armor to me.
- Aimable spotlights for vehicles.
spotlight turret. +1
- The ability to "u"nload anything in the 5 space in advanced inventory so you don't have to pick up 55 gallon drums to pour from them.
+1 also add the ability to "I" compare items inside vehicles.