Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

[quote=“Drajean, post:3000, topic:5570”]I believe the default binding is “V” (Shift+v), which lets you see all items in view. I think it has a filter function for searching too.

Edit: It also shows mobs in visual range if you hit tab. The filter function “saves” its filter between uses so make sure to clear it after you found what your looking for if you don’t want to be confused by the lack of items in the list.[/quote]
that function doesn’t let me take the item - it just tells me “this item is in that spot”. I know on which tile i stockpile what kind of items - it’s just a pain to try and pick that one certain item i currently need, when there are hundreds of others on that tile.

Use Inventory managment “/”. While in it Press “A” it shows you all items adjacent to you, to sort it press “s” then chose how you want to sort it, category works best for me. If you want to move it directly to your own inventory go to the other side of the menu and press “I”.

^ I do this frequently. I am constantly using (D) for drug vehichle (A) for all and (I) for inv. I am picky on which side the inv is on and so I often swap the screens by pressing the appropriate key for the opposite screen (or same side) making the screens swap sides.

Im glad I’m not the only weirdo that has to have the inventory management windows open on the correct sides.

thanks - this saves me a lot of trouble :slight_smile:
Another suggestion, though i think it might fit better in a mod - “Artistic Items”: craftable items whose main purpose is to sell for high prices to NPCs, use them for non-stackable morale bonuses or just put somewhere in your base just so they look good. Sure, most people(both PC and NPC) in Cataclysm simply live to survive, but after surviving long enough people tend to want some more things from life.

Shoulder straps for large melee weapons such as - Halligan bar( It actually has loops for this), Fire Axe, spears, ect…

Wrist lanyards for smaller melee weapons, and maybe even guns.

Axe holsters, because I would like to holster my fire axe instead of shoving it in my pack or carrying it constantly.

That wrist lanyard looks like an invitation to lose an arm…

How long does it take to unholster that axe? It looks like it is just a ring that the handle was fed through…

Don’t get me wrong, I am confident that some sort of quick-release axe holder could be worn(and means of strapping a knife into your hand) could be improvised, but those particular solutions do not seem combat-ready…

(Fire) Axes, amongst a few other things, can already be “holstered” in a belt. Well, unfortunately, only the firefigther belt and (I think) the tool belt can do this.

Nope, can’t holster a fire axe on a firefighter belt. At least I haven’t been able too. It does hold my Halligan bar though.
There are other types of axe holsters often made with leather. most of them have safety releases but I imagine those would be ignored while making survival equipment.

As for the lanyard… unless some one strong enough to pull your arm off got a hold of your weapon you wont lose your arm(not to mention the mechanic isnt in the game) so its a moot point anyways. I’m just tired of having my weapon jerked out of my inventory every time I fight a engineer zed. To keep the magnetic grab they have from being negated completely it could just unequip the weapon, that way it opens you to attack while you reequip it but doesn’t leave you defenseless.

Of you are losing your weapon then you are losing your grip. If you lose your grip mid-swing then the weapon will have a lot of momentum and no immediate method of stopping it. If, for whatever reason, the weapon moves away from the strap, then the strap will pull taught and act as a hinge and the weapon will swing around it, eventually inverting its position and orientation relative to the strap. Typically, if one inverts the position and orientation of a weapon relative to the member that was wielding that weapon, it is a problem… A strap like that is all fine and good if you are sawing, or holding, or whatever else that doesn’t involve momentum, but once you start swinging, well, it is a good time to look into good-quality armours.

Not to mention, a weapon that is hanging from your arm is not useful in that state. You basically still need to pick up the weapon, it is just that you do not need to move to the weapon first… If you want to be immune to being disarmed, I would recommend getting a bandage and wrapping your hand closed and wrapping any wide points of the grip too. You hand will, of course, be completely useless for anything besides wielding the weapon, and if you are not careful you might cut off the circulation, and over time you might lose hand strength, and if you manage to lose the weapon anyway then you are not going to have much fun getting it back into the wrapped-up hand, but it would be much more secure. You get the bonus extra that it would make a strap like that actually useful because it would make the weapon far less likely to swing back at you.

I don’t know, I am working completely off of speculation here, but I just have this image in my mind of what happens if you have such a strap, hold it over your head, swing it down 90 degrees, release it, then immediately raise your hand over your head again. Yes, such behaviour would be deliberately stupid, but it demonstrates that risks exist.

Oh my bad, I thought it would do, as it can hold other firefighter-related equipment. Nonetheless, I’m supporting the idea of having a way to “holster” weapons other than swords/knives/guns.

On a similiar note: has anybody already fixed the survivor harness? Last time I checked it took a holster to create, but it let you store a small rifle in it, which is… rather unintuitive. I would suggest to either change ther harness so that it can hold a handgun instead, or even make it hold magazine instead of a gun, like the chest-rig it is crafted from.

Ability to sell a certain amount of units of items. Right now, if i have 2000 units of gold in inventory, i can only sell all of it at once and if i have two packs of cigarettes i can only sell one pack at a time(the same goes with buying). It can at times become pretty annoying.

We have multidrop and a butcher/disassemble all command…

Could we PLEASE have a multi-unload command for sorting our mountains of food?

Oh or multi reload.

A cover system, I was talking about this on the subreddit and the first person to answer me told me to come here
Basically hiding behind waist high obstacles (sandbags, barricades, windowframes) would make it harder for gun wielding NPC’s to spray you with bullets.

I thought for some reason it was a thing, but I guess I was remembering something else…

The “skill used” search in the crafting menu is only usable for normal searches that organize EVERYTHING you can make under that classification, and then everything you can make under that classification but don’t meet all the needed requirements.

currently you can do a search like:
s:fabrication(6)
which tells you everything that uses fab level 6 for a secondary skill requirement

but you can’t do:
S:fabrication(6)

or anything like it because of how the crafting menu looks at the information

The suggestion:

make it so primary levels can be searched.

Not sure if mentioned before but I’m too lazy to check; how about the weight of footwear altering the amount of sound your footsteps make? Heavier boots make for more noise while sneakers make for less.

I had plans to write something like this, but base it on encumbrance instead. Foot encumbrance doesn’t have enough of an effect.

It has almost no effect.

Additionally, there just isnt usually enough encumbrance from wearing everyday items to matter much at all.

Steeltoed boots (fits) and 2 flame socks is 9 encumbrance.

Actually, I think that in general boots should have almost 2x the encumbrance they do now.

As someone who wears steeltoes all day, I concur.