Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

As a dragon turret user, invincibility to acid/fire in a vehicle (maybe make it only if there’s armor on the controls tile, or if it’s under raging fire level, idk) would be really cool. Maneuvering around fire trails so you don’t burn yourself gets tiring.

A few suggestions:

- A toggleable in-game clock for keeping track of real-world time.
eh, doesn't seem particularly useful or needed, but doesn't seem like a hard thing to add either.
- If you choose a season with more than 99 days, there's not enough spaces to accomodate it onscreen after day 99. Add an extra space.
huh. not gotten that far. Interesting.
- Disassembly should have a '5' interrupt like crafting and reading; I've occasionally 'b'utchered one too many zed corpses in a stack and ended up spending hours disassembling a riot control bot or a tank drone or something.
and a saved progress in assembly/disassembly. Always annoying when your 5 hours into a 6 hour project and then have to start all over because a zombie walked up.
- A toggle for "don't warn me about noises, distant monsters, monsters trapped behind glass, etc. while I'm trying to do something unless something is ACTUALLY chewing on me."
+1 Maybe make an option for threat level warnings: Lvl 1 anything even remotely dangerous soon as its in sight. Lvl 2 moose and other "neutrals" once, once upon tracking, and once upon hazardous status change and once when getting close. No repeats for going behind trees/out of sight. Lvl 3 Only alert to damage, fast dangers, proximity dangers, and broken objects/obstacles, visible "this" vehichle damage/destruction Lvl 4 only alert on damage, nearby obstacle destruction and visible "this" vehichle destruction Lvl 5 only alert on damage, and destruction of object __ spaces away Lvl 6 only alert on __% damage, or damage ≥ __ Lvl 7 Off

Or maybe just modulate it.
alert on damage type: any, battle damage, no
alert on low HP: __% any limb
alert on damage taken: ≥ ___
alert on new enemy spotted: any, any new, any faster than “me”, off
alert on proximity range: ___
^ alert on proximity type: all, faster than “me”, off
alert on destruction: any damage, any damage within ____, only destruction, only destruction within ___, only (visible) damage of “this” vehichle, only (visible) destruction of “this” vehichle, off

use alert set for: default, vehichle only, walking only, crafting/disassembly/construction only, etc…
make another alert set: y/n?

^if this^ then, needs its own spot in “?” menu.

- Multiple sizes of backpack. Doesn't have to be fancy: school bag, day pack, backpack, large backpack, wire-frame hiking pack.
.....? This is already a thing.... rucksack, backpack, hiking bag etc... do you want them all to say backpack on them??? Or am I misunderstanding?
- Option to eliminate cash cards.
sounds like a mod. Would mean no way to use money on gas stations, or vending machines though...
- "N" for (N)oise to yell, bang pots and pans together, etc.
+1 something like that would be nice
- Allow disassembly of doors, windows, and walls with the proper equipment, so that buildings can be modified without causing them to collapse every time you want to create a window or remove a doorway.
+1
- Slow down fungal flowers. As it stands, they expand so quickly that the only way to stop them once they're in the trees is to start a forest fire, which would be fine if forest fires didn't cause [i]massive[/i] lag and no way to wait them out except by being near them and actually watching them burn.
meh. don't live there. Or make lots of anti-fungal.
- Make bunkers and labs openable from the inside.
-1 eh.... would make lab challenges easier than they should be... I can't support that idea.
- Cigarette lighters in cars to start fires as long as there's battery power.
hmm. I guess. Part of controls. Why not. Maybe make a cigarette lighter part that has to be "added" if not already present before usable.
- Radios for cars.
already a thing.
- Give PDAs mp3 player and camera functionality.
hmm. I guess.
- Give laptop computers PDA, mp3, and handheld game functionality.
sure...
- Change "two-way radios" to satellite phones; it makes more sense in terms of what they do.
don't they get used for building drive-by wire controls or something? Also, I am unsure as to the usability of the satellites lore wise. two-way radios seems more reasonable to me....
- More sporting goods usable as weapons in sporting good stores: javelins, shotputs, discuses, golf balls, plastic wiffle bats, hiking sticks, ski poles, field hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, cricket bats, croquet mallets, et al.
sure why not. Sounds nice. Even if most of them are largely useless as weapons.
- Cow catchers for vehicles (differing from rams in that the purpose is to push things aside rather than damage them).
I know cow catchers. I am not entirely sure that is an accurate way to look at them. They are essentially bumper-plows for smashing anything that tries to do you harm/protecting the vehichle. Seems like CDDA armor to me.
- Aimable spotlights for vehicles.
spotlight turret. +1
- The ability to "u"nload anything in the 5 space in advanced inventory so you don't have to pick up 55 gallon drums to pour from them.
+1 also add the ability to "I" compare items inside vehicles.

You can yell by pressing ‘C’

What’s the word on being able to leave containers out in the rain without a funnel and have them collect water? There’s a few different funnels which I assume have hidden collection stats on them, so maybe if you could 'A’ctivate empty containers and set them up to collect or something with a very horrible collection rating?

Disassembly progress may be hard in its current incarnation, but I’m writing an experimental crafting system that may make it possible and low on bugs to resume crafting, constructing and dismantling. Craft jobs will have unfinished items representing them.
This will also make it possible to make NPCs craft.

While debugging mutations you could sort it by category

Example:

I want to look for the mutations in the “Fish” category,
I would type in the search bar @FISH or MUTCAT_FISH and it would give me the mutations under that category.

While playing, I noticed that the game doesn’t appear to support analog photography. Could analog cameras and photographs be added?

A .projects file for the forums visible after sigs so people have some clue as to which ideas might actually be implemented by someone.

Um… i am not using the latest experimental so maybe it’s changed now, but the phrase “You eat your Coal” while using an internal furnace CBM is quite… disturbing to picture D:

I don’t think of it as literal eating as more of your cbm directly consuming the material. Like the terminator, a little metal flap on your belly just to put things in. So maybe the phrase could be changed from “You eat your ____” to “Your (cbm, internal furnace, ethanol, etc.) consumes the (wood, vodka).” Also, literal eating would have dramatic effect on your mood from the taste of whatever you put inside yourself, proving more that it’s put elsewhere.

Not to mention that the CBM doesn’t give you super-jedi laser teeth to actually chew up and consume stuff like that, let alone a throat of some perculiar and odd variety to be able to swallow that kind of material.

[quote=“Aluminumfoil”]Many items and recipes in the game are just there because they can be, not because they have any intended niche.

Take a region like the US northeast where there’s about one gun for every human and remove 99% of the people, and you’re left with 100 guns per surviving person… and that’s just counting civilian firearms.

A decently maintained firearm can remain functional for centuries. Ammunition should rapidly become scarce after the end of industry, but not guns. People will be recycling perfectly functional rifles for their steel long before anyone bothers to make a pipe gun in postapocAmerica.

Heck, they might even probably be using rifle barrels as makeshift pipes :D[/quote]
The problem with pipe guns is that most in-game firearms never receive damage from rust, overheating, or extended use. Most real-world guns developed after the handgonne are made with springs that tend to weaken after heavy use. Also, guns must have their barrels replaced after x number of bullets have been fired, due to barrel wear. Because of this, pipe guns, especially the Pipe Rifle: x caliber series, lack a strong niche. If a weapon repair system similar to the version in Fallout 3/New Vegas were implemented, then homemade guns would become useful after most reliable sources of factory guns have been exhausted.

A fix for this behavior would be for the game to check the age of the world when generating new terrain and reduce the amount of technological spawns as the world aged, with exceptions for the areas surrounding functioning communities that preserved or restarted industry.

[Edit: ClockworkZombie phrased it better than I.]

An easier way to stuff 15 portions of meat jerky down your gullet at once would be great. It gets somewhat tiresome spamming shift+e, 4 (or whatever) over and over again. It’s not much of a bother with most foods, but some sort of batch eat or eat again would be very nifty for the lower-nutrition foods… Alternatively, reduce how much jerky (and similar) is made per batch (and spawn) but increase its nutrition?

I don’t really know if this is a ‘simple’ addition to the game, but I’d consider it absolutely necessary for better interaction with NPCs and I didn’t want to open a new topic, but:

We need a hotkey that let’s us give stuff to NPCs/followers. It would work similiar to the multidrop key: stand next to your follower, press the hotkey, select the direction where your NPC stands and a menu opens up in which you can select stuff to give him.

As it stands, it’s quite some hassle to give NPCs food, especially since the menu we have now doesn’t allow to specify a certain amount of items to transfer and each type of item requires you to open up the menu again.

A “repeat last command” key would handle this and a lot else besides. Most roguelikes have one.

Give the “reload”: x object to ammunition, like the “ranged_damage”: x object for weapons. It will allow the creation of flintlock ammo designed for quick firing at the cost of the infamous accuracy penalty, and vice versa.

[quote=“Malaxxor, post:3051, topic:5570”]I don’t really know if this is a ‘simple’ addition to the game, but I’d consider it absolutely necessary for better interaction with NPCs and I didn’t want to open a new topic, but:

We need a hotkey that let’s us give stuff to NPCs/followers. It would work similiar to the multidrop key: stand next to your follower, press the hotkey, select the direction where your NPC stands and a menu opens up in which you can select stuff to give him.

As it stands, it’s quite some hassle to give NPCs food, especially since the menu we have now doesn’t allow to specify a certain amount of items to transfer and each type of item requires you to open up the menu again.[/quote]
That sounds like something that could work with advanced inventory, you can already put stuff on a dragged object…

they need their own representative letter/ tile in the ui. Probably an “N” to switch between ground and NPC. Speaking of inv needs make comparison (I) and search work with vehicles.

Edit: also make it so vehichle containers can be written on.

It would be nice if within the heal item use action there was a flag that determined if the item itself was consumed or if that item consumed ammo. Been thinking of a way to flesh out first aid, and an item like a doctor’s bag that would use medical supplies doesn’t seem possible right now.

Let us reload a weapon like a shotgun completely in a VERY noisy area without being interrupted every shell. (Damn hospital)
Letting us completely ignore a warning prompt when performing the same action in a row would be adequate.
Would appear again if you did something else like moving and such.

Add a “Ignore (S)ubsequent Warnings” could it be.

I always play with wheat allergy, and sometimes I find consumable bologna. When I am determined to fill up on it, I just wield it and 'A’pply current item until I get a warning that tells me that I am full or if have run out of consumable material.