Zero skill level should mean that I know nothing about it

1. The chance of weapons jam depends on the weapon and its status. Does not depend on the skill of the character.
  2. You press R or F, depending on your skills you solve the problem or not. Your skills affect the duration, the chance of success and the number of thrown on the ground cartridges.
  3. The game tells you about the result. Theoretically, if the monsters close you take another weapon. If they are far away that you are trying to eliminate the jam.

There was a thread a few months ago that wanted to implement gun maintenance.
Seeing as there still aren’t any weapon repair kits and guns don’t damage themselves over time, I doubt anybody decided to take up the project.
It might be planned though.
I wouldn’t know

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a big pop up or something that actively stops game play - it could just take a long time to reload (try reloading a belt fed machine gun…) or cause jams which require you to reload (I think this definitely needs to be on a button press, not automatic).

This could be on a scale, so if the weapon required a firearms skill of 4, having a skill of 1 would mean loads of jams, incredibly long reload times and some injuries (again, combat shotguns/assault rifles need a LOT of practice to use safely) whilst a skill of 3 would almost negate penalties, perhaps just being a bit slow with reloading and very infrequent jams.

I don’t see this being something which is of constant annoyance, because you just wouldn’t use weapons you couldn’t use well until you were able. If you did, well then it’s your fault really/desperate situation - which I think is fun.

Are you comprehend that such complex skill system WILL be unbalanced? To balance it we need to split START POINTS into two branches: “Mental points” and “Body points”, which are not equal. Mental points and body points should be used for skills and STR-DEX-INT-PER and mutations respecially. An average human, usually, knows most of skills written above. I’ve never seen an young human who haven’t sew a button or haven’t even tried to put a bandage over a cut. Moreover, mental points should depend from intelligence - than more INT, than more skill points. Briefly, there’s a huge work to find the balance with such system.

I think you’re right, eventually we’ll need to do that, but in the mean time, I think having the skill levels being more of a curve is better than nothing.

The issue is we don’t want boring busywork the player has to do, so the assumption is that if the player has a higher skill, they know to take better care of their guns, but it happens in the background.

I was thinking just R, but now that I think of it, any interaction with the gun, F, R, or U should try and clear the jam if there is one. The time spent per keypress should be limited, so that the player can try and clear the jam, but if they fail, they won’t be stuck getting attacked.

I’m for having very occasional misfires (which we have already, based on weapon reliability) and jams, just haven’t gotten around to it. I’m also for factoring the pertinent gun skills into it so that unskilled PCs have more frequent jams and misfires (don’t clean the gun, or not often enough, or not correctly, don’t handle ammo properly (dirty ammo?), don’t resolve issues correctly when they do happen). Either way, it should be appropriately rare, with notable exceptions, misfires and jams are very rare, and I see no reason to make them artificially common. Bringing it back to the thread topic though, gun skill level 0 PCs would have fairly frequent jams , because they’re assumed to be taking very poor care of the weapons.

The issue is we don’t want boring busywork the player has to do, so the assumption is that if the player has a higher skill, they know to take better care of their guns, but it happens in the background.

I was thinking just R, but now that I think of it, any interaction with the gun, F, R, or U should try and clear the jam if there is one. The time spent per keypress should be limited, so that the player can try and clear the jam, but if they fail, they won’t be stuck getting attacked.

I’m for having very occasional misfires (which we have already, based on weapon reliability) and jams, just haven’t gotten around to it. I’m also for factoring the pertinent gun skills into it so that unskilled PCs have more frequent jams and misfires (don’t clean the gun, or not often enough, or not correctly, don’t handle ammo properly (dirty ammo?), don’t resolve issues correctly when they do happen). Either way, it should be appropriately rare, with notable exceptions, misfires and jams are very rare, and I see no reason to make them artificially common. Bringing it back to the thread topic though, gun skill level 0 PCs would have fairly frequent jams , because they’re assumed to be taking very poor care of the weapons.[/quote]
I like the background service of the weapon. Another example, that a person with a survival skill 0 can not think pack matches in a plastic bag and if it did get wet, it will lose matches.
I’ll think about calculations chance of jam and misfires.

A passive system is fine really (I’m sure a mod could be made for advanced weapon care), and I completely agree that any button could be used to try to clear jams (and only in small increments as stated).
I also envisage jams and misfires being quite rare when close to the skill level required (and none at the level) as it’s mainly a system to stop PCs with level 2 firearms using a level 6 weapon effectively. I would definitely like to see minor injuries factor into it as well - it makes sense realistically, and adds an extra level of danger rather than ‘use until it’s jammed and then swap out’

FYI, misfire frequency is one in 2^4 (1 in 16, sawn-off shotguns and homemade laser gun) to 2^9 (1 in 512, USP family, Saiga, AK-47)*, that actually got shifted at some point, it’s supposed to be one in 32 to one in 1024. That’s the ballpark we’re looking at, if we add jams, that number of errors will be split between misfires and jams, and if we add a skill-based modifier, it will maybe be slightly more common than that for skill 1, much more common for skill 0, and rapidly less common for skill 2+.

*The actual calculation is 2 ^ weapon_durability, factoring in skill might be as simple as (2 ^ (skill + durability - 1). Another potential concept is adding a ammo reliability stat too.