[WIP] Remote vehicle controller

https://github.com/Coolthulhu/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/auto-controls

New car function: Toggle door. This lets you pick a tile on your car and then closes/opens door on that tile (works correctly with multitile doors).

New item: Remote vehicle controller. Lets you pick a vehicle and interact with its controls at range. Now actually allows driving. Can pick any car with working controls, but will break connection instantly if it’s too far.

Remote driving supports the driving key binding (’^’ like you were driving it manually) and cruise control. It doesn’t prevent skidding yet, doesn’t work nicely with UI or viewpoint and doesn’t understand how to properly flatten a rammed player.

The code is quite ugly in some places at the moment, so I’d appreciate suggestions on how to refactor it properly.

Huh honking horn _ hacking? i don t understadn? We can already use other things to create noise… i don t see how using your car to do so would be hacking.
Or do you mean you can control any vehicle with this? I would suggest we d need a receiver on your car that you would have to install first?? And if the car has it already hack it to get access. Sounds amazing regardless :smiley: love it.

Being able to cue the Alternative Minimalist Techno*, nifty flashing/colored lights, and “special effects” like pyros or firework-guns from maybe 20 tiles away would be a handy way to help start dance parties in the post-apocalypse.

*Urban joke for “car alarm”.

[quote=“KA101, post:3, topic:7880”]Being able to cue the Alternative Minimalist Techno*, nifty flashing/colored lights, and “special effects” like pyros or firework-guns from maybe 20 tiles away would be a handy way to help start dance parties in the post-apocalypse.

*Urban joke for “car alarm”.[/quote]

I’m thinking about adding a detonator item installable on gas tanks, but that’s probably a bit redundant - radio dynamites/pipes exist.
I think I’ll manage to get close range remote driving to work (copypaste RC car code and then heavily modify that). Then a detonator would allow things like sending a loud bombcar and then detonating it.
Though we may be thinking about different kind of dance party.

Yeah, I thought about it too and I want it to work like this. Once I make this whole thing useful (that is: when I add remote driving), I’ll add a receiver item and add it to some car jsons.

Doublepost because milestone: remote driving! Details in first post.