Wilderness survival on newest version

I’m guessing the wagon wouldn’t be draggable with a cow in it, would it be feasible to do foot pedals or something? I’ve wondered pretty far in all directions, and I still haven’t found any signs of civilization. The only things that I’ve found are minefields, rifts, a portal, a several different crash sites. Do farms and dairy farms only spawn along roads?

I’ve also not had much luck with farming. I haven’t really been able to get decent crop yields. I know you need to water and weed them now, but that is excruciating with the amount of key presses and back and forth for water.

I haven’t really been able to get fertilizer going either. Between being short on chitin, being paranoid about roaches, and pretty much only having dog dung around, it hasn’t really seemed worth it. If I could use dog dung to make it, it would be more appealing. Does it take a higher skill, different recipe, or is it not implemented yet?

I’m also starting to get wildlife “explosions” where I travel back to an area I haven’t been for awhile and having dozens animals spawned in. It’s getting ridiculous. I’ve taken to debugging in c-4 and teleporting around to kill the groups, but it’s a losing battle. 3 german shepards spawned 27 puppies. That doesn’t include all the deer, birds, roaches, and occasional bear. I could slowly weed out everything but the deer and birds. They are WAY too quick to catch on foot, even with a ranged weapon.

Now even if I had been killing everything legitimately, there are still hundreds of corpses or chunks of meat to despose of. I’ve tried burning them as fast as I can, but it’s turning into a war zone around my camp. Between the roaches and the wildlife, there’s meat and corpses EVERYWHERE, which means more roaches, more corpses, etc. I like the wildlife respawning and the offspring thing, but it would be great if I could turn it down a little. I’m actaully starting to get a pretty significant FPS hit at this point from everything. I also wanted to mention, I just now hit my 1 year mark, I can’t even imagine how bad it will be if hordes start showing up.

stupid puppy apocalypse. stupid badly written puppy apocalypse code. well, I know what I’m working on tomorrow.

Honestly with the way dynamically spawning wildlife works now you could safely make offspring only appear in the appropriate season for the animal (assuming that wouldn’t be too time consuming or hard, if not just make it spring only) and cut down on how many spawn. Even if it’s not as realistic, each animal only having one or two would help a lot. The way it is now it is dangerously multiplicative, and that may pave the way to add more of a variety of baby animals without it becoming too cluttered.

I don’t know how hard it would be, but having animals “eat” the corpses would be lovely. Even if it just worked similar to shoggoths, where animals simply move over the corpse and make it disappear. It wouldn’t even need to do anything to the animal itself, like heal or make them stronger. It would be kinda nice if they sought them out, but the simpler/easier option is better for short term. Personally I would prefer it if it didn’t leave any items behind, since the most places usually end up pretty cluttered with dung/manure/litter etc. It would be a great quality of life improvement.

As for dealing with the hordes now, is there anything less destructive to the enviroment, but still as equally lethal to c-4? I like how it can kill massive groups, but leaving scorched earth and shredding nearby woodland is annoying. A price to pay for keeping the wildlife in check, but it’s abnoxious cleaning up the meat, wood, and craters afterwards.

Well I’ve officially struck out to find civilization. Need to get a welder if I plan on completing my tool set. I’ve been traveling for about two days north so far. Only thing note worthy was a one of the cabins in the woods.

Still don’t know how to kill wraiths easily, I just kept plicking away with my longbow. I thought light hurt them, but catching half the woods on fire really didn’t help. I killed it eventually, got 47(!) of my arrows back from where it died. Also not sure what the etched skulls are for, I’ve found them previously but always just stashed then.

I also got stared at by a flaming eye a couple times. I’m really hoping it doesn’t go fungal. I have some fungicide at my base that I found, but I don’t think I can craft antifungal drugs. If it does happen, what are my options besides the drugs?

With 8 strength and a wooden frame, it’s doable. That’s without wheels even.
This is probably because the cow is contained in hammerspace, so its weight doesn’t seem to impact the weight of the carrier.

Cool, well I’ll be able to bring a cow back for sure then.

Cow weight should be updating vehicle weight as of last week’s update.

Ah, I see. I haven’t updated in a good three weeks or so because of everyone talking about the freezing problems with vehicle tanks.

1. Is there a sled? It seems like a decent option, they can be made with two-by-fours and ropes for a cheap one, or blades/sheet metal (runners), boards+nails or a sheet for the body, and maybe a rope so it’s less encumbering to use.

2. Fabrication can be raised by lots of skills. There’s probably ammo or tools. It’s not unusual to dissemble and assemble things over and over, unless you find that breaks your immersion.

3. calcium: maybe recipes used with eggs should produce eggshells, and those could be ground into 10x calcium powder, used in supplements or eaten in itself (disgusting). Pill press + gelatin/pectin capsules + powder = supplements!