Whats your playing style?

What kind of builds do you use? Do you place any restrictions on yourself? What do you do the first few days? What kind of goals do you have, short term and long term? What’s your optimal armor and weapons? Bionics? Mutations? Do you ever cross thresholds?

I keep getting bored of my characters around day 15-20, then just suicide. I don’t know why. Mostly I start feeling cluttered and feel like I need a fresh start. If my inventory gets too big I start feeling cluttered and like I have to get rid of everything. I never really build bases though so maybe that’s why.

Build for my shanking character, Dredd:
[hr]
STR = 11
DEX = 13
INT = 10
PER = 10

+ Traits = [color=limegreen]Melee Weapon Training[/color] ([color=blue]Pentajack Silat[/color]), [color=limegreen]Night Vision[/color],[color=limegreen] Robust Genetics[/color], [color=limegreen]Pain Resistant[/color], [color=limegreen]Deft[/color]
- Traits = [color=red]Addictive Personality[/color], [color=red]Truth Teller[/color], [color=red]Trigger Happy[/color], [color=red]Glass Jaw[/color],[color=red] Sleepy[/color], [color=red]Poor Hearing[/color], [color=red]Bad Back[/color], [color=red]Forgetful[/color] (I usually turn off skill rust so), [color=red]Ugly[/color].

I should also note that I turn up the max points to spend in traits up to 20 in the options.

Class =[color=green] Scoundrel [/color](For the skills. 2 Points for 5 points worth of skills is brilliant.)

Skills (Including bonuses from scoundrel): [color=green]Cutting Weapons (4)[/color], [color=white]Melee (2)[/color], [color=green]Tailoring (2)[/color], [color=white]Dodging (2)[/color], [color=white]Unarmed Combat (2)[/color],[color=white] Bartering (2)[/color].
[hr]
Now, Pentajack Silat is an excellent melee weapon skill, because it has the power to throw away enemies with tiny god-damned knives.

I always want a good knife for this build, the switchblade just won’t do. I aim for a combat knife, and in emergencies build a makeshift knife.

To keep me entertained from just suiciding my character, I usually start building up a base when I can when I find a book about construction. If you’re bored, making your own mansion of stone walls is always a fun past time, and then covering it with layer upon layer of spiked pits. This is how I stay alive for so long; nothing can touch you!

When I go out, I usually aim to raid science labs. I usually run armor kits of plated leather armor and running packs, because survivor armor just seems too egh. I don’t know why, but I always imagine it looking really dreary.

Also getting a super high killcount is my own fun way of getting a highscore. I can’t remember what my record was though, something around 3000. (Blobs ahoy)

I saw your post in another thread I think, I based a character off of it, basically the same except no deft and a few other differences. Very strong build, I was killing zombies without getting hit pretty quick. Really good if you wanna be capable of combat from day 1. By the second week there was nothing that could touch me, until a tank bot blasted me.

Play lab challenge and escape the lab a couple of times.
It won’t help with eventual boredom, but makes for exciting starts.
For more fun, don’t read the complete lab guide on wiki and figure everything yourself.

Mutant characters are fun if you pick unstable genetics (and robust genetics).

I like to play a nomad gunner cyborg with a pimped out tank.

My character: Rhodri Kraakman.

Strength: 9
Dexterity: 10
Intelligence: 10
Perception: 8

Good Traits: Accomplished Sleeper, Deft, Fast Reader, Packmule, Psychopath, Robust Genetics

Bad Traits: Bad Temper, Forgetful, Heavy Sleeper, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, Truth Teller, Weak Stomache

Starting Class: Tailor

Strategy, Start of Game: The first thing I do is craft myself some armor, always as non-encumbering as possible. Then, I proceed to slowly wipe out the nearest city, training up melee and unarmed skills. Once the city is clear of zombies, I head to a garage, and build myself a solar-powered rolling fortress. If there is any food left in the city, I use it to fuel some time reading skill books.

Mid-Game: Once the deathmobile, is complete, I drive off to the next town/city, stockpiling non-perishables, and the like. I usually die because of a tank drone/chicken walker by this time. As such, I haven’t developed any plan beyond this, and never had the chance to cross threshholds, install bionics, or otherwise become insanely OP.

Both characters are made for Lab Challenge
[hr]
Silent mutated ninja. First of twenty-something chars (turrets) of this build to succeed: Sparrow Gryphon

Strength: 12
Dexterity: 10
Perception: 10

Good Traits: Quick, Night Vision, Light Step, Self-Defense Classes (Ninjutsu), Robust Genetics, Less Sleep

Bad Traits: Animal Discord, Genetically Unstable, Glass Jaw, Junkfood Intolerance, Heavy Sleeper, Truth Teller

Starting Class: Unwilling mutant

Skills: Dodging (2), Melee (2), Unarmed (3), Computers (2)

World: 30x zombie spawn, 3x item spawn
[hr]
She lucked out in the beginning as NPC next to her had very good equipment (namely, katana) and there were some robots to kill NPC with. But I made a huge mistake to finish the deed with my own hands. -100 morale is seriously bad. But manageable. Also, prison area where she spawned had no exits. Derp. Debug-teleport… ALL doors from the area were controlled by turrets. Used single EMP grenade from prison, got both hands nearly severed.

After exploring double-lab and mutating a bit Sparrow escaped through severs into city with TONS of Zeds. Somehow managed to stay alive. And then she found roller-skates. It went absurdly well from that moment onwards.

PS. She somehow killed a shoggoth on day 4 with 5~6 in melee and cutting.
[hr]

All in all, playing Sparrow was very interesting experience, but sometimes it felt a bit too easy. Taking 3x items is to blame - she was getting tons of resources without any effort. So, next build is…

[hr]
Illiterate speedster. Three chars died while testing due to the lack of vital equipment. And turrets.

Strength: 14
Dexterity: 12
Perception: 10

Good Traits: Fleet-Footed, Quick, Padded Feet, Self-Defense Classes (Krav Maga), Robust Genetics

Bad Traits: Animal Discord, Genetically Unstable, Heavy Sleeper, Illiterate

Starting Class: Unwilling mutant

Skills: Dodging (2)

World: 30x zombie spawn, 0.5x item spawn
[hr]
Hard to play, but rarely dies in actual combat. I have re-discovered the happiness of finding a single flashlight after searching three floors! No more piles of redundant equipment! Oh. And no more hacking computers only to get electrocuted.

I play cautiously, usually clearing the area completely before looting houses and shops.

favorite start:
STR: 12
DEX: 11(12, if I take Stylish)
INT:12
PER:11

Negative traits: Animal Discord, Bad Temper, Clumsy, Heavy Sleeper, Sleepy, Slow Healer, Lightweight, Thin-Skinned, Weak Stomach
Positive traits: Robust Genetics, Quick/Fleet-Footed/Stylish

Starting Scenario=evacuee
Starting Profession=Groom/Bride, Shower Victim, Novice Martial Artist.
No Skills

Heavy Sleeper+Sleepy is quite close to Accomplished Sleeper (but gives two point instead of costing them) and fits well with Slow Healer. Clumsy isn’t a problem for someone who rarely tries to sneak among zombies and doesn’t feel lucky enough to play around with mines. Since I play now play with skill rust off, I don’t allow myself to take any of the negatives that directly affect skill gain or loss. I’m somewhat torn which one I like more, quick or F-F, and I sometimes pick stylish for more challenging combat but faster skill gain.

I start with crafting a makeshift crowbar and heading to closest supply of food/clothes, usually normal houses. I take my time, avoiding as much combat as I can. Once I get enough pockets to carry something and hopefully some stims and/or painkillers, I start to hunt for basic equipment and a better weapon. If I happen to come across a trap area, I might decide to risk one or two crossbow traps. Even one steel bolt makes killing lone zombies easy enough to justify taking the risk very early in the game.

I try to get a temporary home set up in a house with a bed in the basement or at least a fireplace. Clearing the residential neighborhood is usually a lower risk way of getting a rifle and good melee weapon than trying to push for a gun/mil. surp./sporting goods store. If I see something I rather not fight, I can pick another house to loot and not risk fighting the nastier Zeds, which is something you might have to do if going for the only gun store of the town. Once I have a good firearm and enough melee skills so I don’t have to rely on shooting everything, I can start to push for the shops and libraries/schools, usually after that I have enough stuff to skill up heavily and then it’s off to the wilderness to hunt bunkers, labs, fema camps and usually at that point I tire of the character and either do something stupid or just make another world and a new character.

Dying.

i like that stile.

Mine varies as i try new things and dieing is a result of some.

i like that stile.

Mine varies as i try new things and dieing is a result of some.[/quote]

It’s an interesting play style, but I personally feel like it makes the game very difficult, more so than it already is.

And your right there.

To me thats positive though.
i play the game like a simulation and thus i experiment what different things end up doing.
And of course i do not switch builds all the time. No its more like a make a new one.
Follow a new routine (thus not only change the char but also what i do)
And try several times over n over and see what happens.

Ofc taste differs and not everyone likes dieing (i don t either when i had a lot of fun with the char)

But sometimes dieing itself will be very entertaining and will always lead to a new life(new survivor) so i do not resent it that much… i came to enjoy it most of the time even.

Edit:

Adittionaly i play several chars thus i most likely always have one that has been alive for a feew months already and few inbetween. So i can load the save that suits my current mood… or start a new game.

**edit: i might steal some of the mentioned builds here-

RIP AND TEAR!

And your right there.

To me thats positive though.
i play the game like a simulation and thus i experiment what different things end up doing.
And of course i do not switch builds all the time. No its more like a make a new one.
Follow a new routine (thus not only change the char but also what i do)
And try several times over n over and see what happens.

Ofc taste differs and not everyone likes dieing (i don t either when i had a lot of fun with the char)

But sometimes dieing itself will be very entertaining and will always lead to a new life(new survivor) so i do not resent it that much… i came to enjoy it most of the time even.

Edit:

Adittionaly i play several chars thus i most likely always have one that has been alive for a feew months already and few inbetween. So i can load the save that suits my current mood… or start a new game.

**edit: i might steal some of the mentioned builds here-[/quote]
I… I was talking about the StopSignals strategy of dieing. :expressionless:

Sry i felt adressed cause i was in that quote.
Well his may be entertaining to watch so i vote stopsignal for president… er i mean making youtube vids.

RIP AND TEAR![/quote]

Rivet meets a Shoggoth.
“YOU’RE HUGE! THAT MUST MEAN YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!”

Would I be made fun of if I said I turn Initial Points and Maximum Trait points up to 10 and 24?

Always or just for testing ?

If you still have a challenge with the game then why not? Play as you like if its fun to you.
Still gunna call you a scrub though :stuck_out_tongue:

gid gud.

*edit

Unless you simply love stomping from the get go i dunno

**edit:

I guess it also depends on how you actually spend these points.

I mean, its still balanced, I guess. I have to take a buttload of disadvantage perks to even get a lot of good perks. I really do take the 24 points of disadvantages. I only do that so I can get more advantage perks that makes the game fair (for me). Barely take much in skills because I can read books. And my base stuff is always 10 Str, 9 Dex, 11 Int, 7-8 Per.

Base stats are very important. As you do not raise them much i guess… Theres not many positive traits that have a big impact on the game. best are imho :
fast fleet stable genetic night vision and parcour expert. Theres some others that are convenient but not realy making a more powerfull char.

maybe i forgot some >.>

In that case i think you do not even need those points. Are you trying to rp something?