What's your favorite mutation category?

That sounds pretty cool actually, the player could develop a permanent addiction for blood and an extreme case of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photodermatitis causing their skin to blister under sunlight.

I always thought it would be interesting to have a “hive” mutation, where the player basically becomes a host to a bunch of insects and uses them to their benefit (like that plasmid in Bioshock) I could see it causing them to become very hungry (eating to sustain the bugs) and when they release the bugs it could hurt and feel very gross (pre threshold).

I mentioned this idea a long while back, and might as well throw it in this thread. More or less an idea that would require more than just chugging some serum or mutagen, like how the Mycus line requires something other than serum.

An “undead/lich” mutation line. Basically be something like the zombies around you, but not quite.

To start things off, requires you to make a special mutagen serum.

Consuming it as is won’t work. The survivor needs to be in a certain state of being in order to trigger the transformation - in this case, to be near death. Hit points have to be really low, perhaps be in a lot of pain and be unhealthy to boot. Like, being nearly dead and the blob inside is ready to take over, but the mutagen half-saves you from being completely undead.

Upon taking the special serum, survivor pretty much goes a little beyond comatose. You get KOed for maybe a few days as the serum and blob do their work inside you, changing you permanently. When your survivor wakes up, he becomes sorta kinda undead but retains human thought.

Upon transforming, survivor gets some buff in hit points, but can’t heal via items anymore. Wounds will slowly heal over time, perhaps gaining a boost by consuming blob globs.

Now, I’m kinda lost on how a survivor will mutate further from that, but here’s some ideas for mutation:

Pros:
-Deadened mutation. You’re pretty much a dead corpse in many ways, so you no longer feel pain from earthly sources.
-No need to breathe, or at least have a very high protection against smoke. Perhaps immune to poison, even. Again, your body feels barely anything anymore.
-Increased strength.
-Can consume blob globs for healing.

Cons:
-Can’t heal via items. Your body doesn’t seem to react to drugs or other stimulants as well.
-You absolutely feel nothing. No morale buffs or penalties.
-Slower movement speed and lower intelligence. Your thoughts are cloudy and in turn your reflexes have taken a hit.
-Something like the grotesque mutation. NPCs are more likely to attack or flee from you since you pretty much look like the undead - and the undead attack you like normal since they can somehow sense that you’re not quite one of them.

In general, the mutations I thought of seem rather low/too many drawbacks that such a mutation seems more like a challenge.

Sounds good, but rather than make it another “take some mutagen” mutation line, why not make it an infection like the Mycus? Add another component to the apocalypse alongside the zombies and triffids and what have you, where you might run into whole towns full of vampires, a la Richard Matheson’s I Am Legend.
Would probably need smarter NPCs to really make it shine, though.

Nobody else likes the rat line? You barely have to try in order to find food and you get tons of resistances. NPCs don’t bother you anymore either so it’s a win win!

Edit: I seem to word things really weirdly when I’m up at 3am

A while back I spent way to much time looking at all the mutation possibilities. My goal was to make the most OP character possible, ignoring what was practical or sane. I ended up concluding that post threshold medical was the best post threshold to go for. Deadened can’t be purified so once you lock it in you can’t loose it no matter how much purifier you eat. Feeling no pain is very significant in any serious fight. After that acid proof was the next most important as this makes your character immune to one of the most problematic sources of damage. With any luck and some purifier you can get a character that has both Deadened and acid proof without any deal breaking negative mutations. After that some alpha never hurts if used sparingly.

Medical + some Alpha doesn’t limit your armor possibilities so I think it has a lot going for it. Now all you need to do is crank up the zombie spawn point until you are swimming in an endless see of them.

[quote=“Mr. Moustache, post:44, topic:14205”]Nobody else likes the rat line? You barely have to try in order to find food and you get tons of resistances. NPCs don’t bother you anymore either so it’s a win win!

Edit: I seem to word things really weirdly when I’m up at 3am[/quote]
I swear to you as soon as I take vengeance on all the zombies in this megamall, I will make a new survivor, a ratman with gourmand.

I swear to you as soon as I take vengeance on all the zombies in this megamall, I will make a new survivor, a ratman with gourmand.

TheFlame52! The legend! He addressed me!? :0 girly screams

Name it ratatouille, P L E A S E.

With rapier and flintlock pistol.

I like lizard mostly. I get the feeling that makes me a heathen though. >.>

[quote=“Mr. Moustache, post:47, topic:14205”]

TheFlame52! The legend! He addressed me!? :0 girly screams[/quote]
Well, I was planning on doing it anyway. Please note that he may not survive, since contrary to popular belief, I’m not actually all that good at Cataclysm. That said, it’s nice to be praised. :slight_smile:

Why include Gourmand and NOT name him ratatouille?

The problem with lizard is that, in game terms, it’s terrible. For RP purposes, enjoy, knock yourself out, and I won’t judge, but in minmaxing terms, it’s garbage.

Is that a reference to something, cause that combo sounds familiar, but I can’t remember from where.

Is that a reference to something, cause that combo sounds familiar, but I can’t remember from where.[/quote]

Van Helsing is maybe who your thinking of? I also thought Victor Vran, but not sure about that one having both. I’m just guessing, and could be wrong.

Is that a reference to something, cause that combo sounds familiar, but I can’t remember from where.[/quote]

Van Helsing is maybe who your thinking of? I also thought Victor Vran, but not sure about that one having both. I’m just guessing, and could be wrong.[/quote]
Oh, maybe I’m just crazy? ¯_(ツ)_/¯ I was thinking more along the lines of DND or Pathfinder or whatever.

I can’t remember from where, either.

I vaguely remember a fairy tale about a rat with a chopped tail and an obsession with knights. I think this one used a rapier, not sure.

Here it is, I remember reading these as a kid.