What's your favorite mutation category?

I think you’re one of the only ones actually. Mycus isn’t a bad mutation line, but it’s unappealing for the average survivor.

-Difficult to aquire

-No stat boosts. (Important now that Multi- Pool is the standard and granades are rare and relegated to a specific mod)

• It’s most useful abilities are not guaranteed to be around when you need them

-Slows you down alot (Pretty big disadvantage when you don’t have Marloss Man tier stats)

-Scrubs other useful mutations and then locks you out of using mutagen forever

• The free food isn’t THAT great of a bonus

-It’s the least exciting of the “game changer” mutation lines

-Hard to find information on it because the wiki treats it as a spoiler

Also I think alot of people avoid fungaloids on principle after the first time they sprout mushroom arms. This is entirely avoidable even without face protection, but it discourages exploiting fungus for it’s many beneficial effects.

I went mycus once on a character whose sole goal was to kill the fungus…

That seems highly counterproductive.

“This fungus is an unearthly abomination that must be destroyed. I shall merge with it immediately!”

It was a mistake, I had mycus berries in my inventory and accidently ate them. I had to finish what I started…

I tend to go Alpha, simply because the idea of becoming a superhuman without changing my appearance (like Albert Wesker) is super appealing to me. Sure the other mutation trees are beneficial and interesting, but you end up losing your humanity and looking like some tentacled, bird-beaked, lizard-tailed freak.

Unlike the other mutations, you wouldn’t know someone has an Alpha mutation just by looking at them. At least until they start lifting cars out of the road with one hand to clear a path for their nuclear-powered rocket ship with wheels that they built in a single afternoon because they were bored, stopping for a moment to shoot a zombie about 500 yards away that they spotted off the reflection of a falling raindrop.

[spoiler][quote=“Neonwarrior, post:25, topic:14205”]I tend to go Alpha, simply because the idea of becoming a superhuman without changing my appearance (like Albert Wesker) is super appealing to me. Sure the other mutation trees are beneficial and interesting, but you end up losing your humanity and looking like some tentacled, bird-beaked, lizard-tailed freak.

Unlike the other mutations, you wouldn’t know someone has an Alpha mutation just by looking at them. At least until they start lifting cars out of the road with one hand to clear a path for their nuclear-powered rocket ship with wheels that they built in a single afternoon because they were bored, stopping for a moment to shoot a zombie about 500 yards away that they spotted off the reflection of a falling raindrop.[/quote][/spoiler]

I can agree with you, anytime I mutate I make sure my character looks as human as possible. No tails, ears, fur, scales, etc.
I just like the thought of a human looking mutant with basically an identity crisis - one that looks human but may feel otherwise or, better yet, a human-feeling monster that can’t understand what makes him so different when s/he looks so normal.

I toyed with the idea in one of my stories. My “god” character, a chimera mutant who’s torn by this bestial instinct and human intelligence and feeling. Basically due to his intelligence and willpower, he’s able to anchor a shred of his humanity. He understands that he’s a mutant and can kill humans - even eat them with little remorse at first. But as he has time to contemplate, it becomes a little philosophical about who he is, and that he wants to be human, but knows in that he really isn’t.

I like the idea of a strong mutant with a extremely attractive outward appearance, but a sort of beastial “hunger” so to speak, which on the flip of a switch can turn him/her into a merciless killing machine - One useful to the apocalypse, but not to one’s soul.

I agree on making the character look as human as possible, but I still like to dabble in other mutation trees for the things that give them that extra edge without making them look different. Light step, poison resistant, glorious, full night vision, infrared vision, regeneration just to name a few. It’s hard to get what you want whilst preventing looking inhuman, but it’s possible with Robust Genetics, a huge stockpile of chemicals for mutagens/purifiers and a lot of luck.

Before, you could probably spot me as a martial artist with 8 tentacles. But at this time you have your encumbrance go into negative and hit (x8 tentacle + other mutation hit) for only 24 “time unit”. Now I usually randomly mutate, and try to go toward bird/plant/elf/drug-addict.

then I just hunt for vitamins as I can’t keep my nutrition level because I cannot eat enough.

That is true. In fact, I’m not sure if Mycus is even my favorite. With a name like Marloss Man Reborn, what other category could I choose? Out of the others, though, I think I like Rat, Insect, and Spider the best.

[quote=“Umbra Vorago, post:17, topic:14205”]I’ve seen a few people play Mycus, but I’ve never tried it myself. It’s not that I think it’s a bad mutation tree, it’s just I wouldn’t be able to call myself a “survivor” if I took that route.

Even if I were to take it, the idea that I’ve just become a pawn for a greater collective mind would bug me too much. Now if you could become the King of the Mycus, then that’s a different story, I’d happily become a ruler, but not just another cog.[/quote]
It may be because MMR is a superhuman, but I don’t feel that way. I’m no peon. I’m a lieutenant! A leader and a powerful warrior! Even if I have masters, I wander of my own free will!

I think being some sort of mycus ambassador to further it’s power and spread through humankind through willful assimilation rather than force would’ve been a better outlook on it.

Plant is the only threshold I have tried or cared about simply because it trivializes upkeep. Except for vitamins, unfortunately. Crafting, reading, and sleeping means you are always eating. I’m not sure if it accrues health each time but the character is rather healthy and disease immune. Consequently, drugs are a potent and exploitable companion when needed. It also complements bionics well, since excess food gives energy with the metabolism cbm. Yes, it works automatically while sleeping. It should be possible to run the alarm and temperature cbm while sleeping as well. Fertilizer is about the best food there is when is a pinch and even carnivore does not interfere.

It is not much for combat alone but the lashes can hit hard since its a weak melee attack with full melee bonuses. Think of what it can do with adrenaline and hydraulics aiding a quick attack. Starting with ponderous and sunlight dependent, both expensive and debilitating, means when you go threshold you are ahead of the points game by the end. Removing ponderous for fleet footed and dependent for the albino line utilizing spider genes is a huge boon. Then perhaps add some elf for lighter bones. Fast, deadly, requires less sleep, and rarely needs sustenance. It can spend all its time crafting or fighting so long it has access to dirt.

That actually sounds pretty great. THe only reason why I was driven away by the plant mutation line was because of ponderous and sunlight dependent.

I’m primarily a melee fighter, so the faster my character is the better.

I’ve noticed there are tons of melee lines and not much else. Same with carnivores. I would love to see some more herbivores and utility. Elephant or Rabbit, anyone?

Now that I think of it, Mycus is actually a utility line. It gives you the ability to fortify your location with hordes of friendly fungaloids.

If I were to ask for a new mutation tree, I’d like a “Fantasy” tree. The scientists tried to create the creatures of legends, like a Medusa, Dragons, Unicorns, things like along those lines.

I mean imagine getting Snake hair, which encumbers your head but can grant an additional attack if able. Further down the line, you could even become a full on Medusa and be able to stone an NPC by looking at them.
Or the Dragon line, would be a lot like Lizard, but you would be able to breathe fire and grow wings, but as Dragons are hoarders you wouldn’t feel right without having sufficient wealth like those diamonds/silver/gold that you find.
Maybe you’ll become a Unicorn, with a beautiful horn upon your head. Impossible to wear headgear, but it can be used as a powerful charge attack!

Those are just some suggestions/wishful thoughts, which if I knew anything about programming I’d happily add in to the game.

For a new mutation tree, I reckon it would be more interesting to have mutation lines where it’s not just something you gotta make mutagen/serum and consume it. Similar to the Mycus mutation in that sense. Like some sort of otherworldly mutation where you have to do certain actions to achieve those mutations instead of just crafting serums and hoping you hit the threshold.

Funny you should mention that, earlier this year I had almost finished a rabbit mutation line, it focused on perception, dexterity, and flat out speed. I would’ve put it up, but I couldn’t get the mutagen to actually mutate the player. It’s also missing book recipes, but that’s a quick fix.

If anyone reading this knows how to get that mutagen working or just wants to take a look, here’s the JSON files

(Also, serious credit to Peeved Penguin. A lot of what I did was based off of their Mutation Changes mod.)

Being able to teleport, summon otherworldly monsters, make time fast-forward and open rifts would be pretty neat. I’m thinking of some sort of “third eye” crap where you basically transcend humanity, maybe become a pseudo elder god.

So, basically, you’re Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite? Does it come with the requirement to say “Booker, catch!” every time you throw something?

So, basically, you’re Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite? Does it come with the requirement to say “Booker, catch!” every time you throw something?[/quote]

*Pinkie finger not included

[quote=“Umbra Vorago, post:34, topic:14205”]If I were to ask for a new mutation tree, I’d like a “Fantasy” tree. The scientists tried to create the creatures of legends, like a Medusa, Dragons, Unicorns, things like along those lines.

I mean imagine getting Snake hair, which encumbers your head but can grant an additional attack if able. Further down the line, you could even become a full on Medusa and be able to stone an NPC by looking at them.
Or the Dragon line, would be a lot like Lizard, but you would be able to breathe fire and grow wings, but as Dragons are hoarders you wouldn’t feel right without having sufficient wealth like those diamonds/silver/gold that you find.
Maybe you’ll become a Unicorn, with a beautiful horn upon your head. Impossible to wear headgear, but it can be used as a powerful charge attack!

Those are just some suggestions/wishful thoughts, which if I knew anything about programming I’d happily add in to the game.[/quote]

For a fantasy mutation line, perhaps a “vampire” might be a good fit. Doesn’t have to be too fantasy - can’t turn into a bat, or similar stuff. Very sensitive to sunlight - maybe something that even goes past solar sensitivity. Like the troglobite mutation line in that sense, but has pretty/beautiful/glorious mutations instead of ugly/deformed/grotesque. Great night vision is a given. Maybe cravings for blood.