What tileset do you usually use for playing? :D

When I was using ASCII, I spent more time trying to figure out what was what than I did playing. So I switched to a tileset and have had a lot more fun ever since.

Because I’ll never tire of shamelessly plugging the feature, the latest experimentals now allow a separate font for the overmap.

And yes, I play with ASCII. Mostly tilesets scavenged from Dwarf Fortress, with minor alterations in places.

Standard 8x12 curses font for text, 18x18 resized curses for main window, and a custom 13x13 font for the map.

Damn dude. That looks awesome. Someone needs to teach me how to do this, because Im clueless

I like Retrodays, simple enough to still facilitate imagination, while detailed enough to make it easy at a glance to know what you’re seeing, plus the aesthetic does a good job of being what it sets out to be.

I’d appreciate it if you guys added pictures of the tilesets you use.
So I can share in the joy.

Can anyone here link me to any information on tileset modification? Specifically I’d like to take Colleen’s tileset for the current stable build and eliminate a few annoying “no tile” situations by pointing to appropriate existing tiles. That is to say, if armored wheels have no tile then I’d like to make them look like another existing large wheel tile. I’d like to make advanced solar panels look like normal solar panels, rather than them having no tile. Things like that.

I imagine this would be accomplished by modifying the tile_config.json, but I’m not sure how to go about it.

contrary to DF (where i use tiles), in cata i have found ASCII suits me much better.

Lucida Console in a terminal emulator. Long live ncurses.

The default ASCII. I have tried some tilesets but always returned to ASCII. I think its because i just got used to it.

I always play with vanilla ascii, both for Cata and DF.

Retrodays, I’ve gotten too used to it, haha.

Lots of you use Ascii,wow O.O for me the only problem with ascii is that the font dimensions are too small xD

with windows sdl / linux sdl builds you can directly set font size, width, height via fonts.json file (look for it in the config subfolder, open with plain text editor). helps squarefy any font =)

with windows terminal build use the same fonts.json config file, however only some of the settings will work afaik.

with linux curses build only terminal settings work, no use editing fonts.json, so need to find a decent square-ish font that looks interesting enough while remaining readable. speculum works for me under linux (fo rsome reason it looks ugly under windows).

for me only ascii is nice too but its not square i commonly try to interact with things what are 2 tiles away

EDIT: i gonna try this guitde from tivasyk maybe this will fix my problems

with windows sdl / linux sdl builds you can directly set font size, width, height via fonts.json file (look for it in the config subfolder, open with plain text editor). helps squarefy any font =)

with windows terminal build use the same fonts.json config file, however only some of the settings will work afaik.

with linux curses build only terminal settings work, no use editing fonts.json, so need to find a decent square-ish font that looks interesting enough while remaining readable. speculum works for me under linux (fo rsome reason it looks ugly under windows).[/quote]

Uhhhhhh,thanks man -

None. ASCII is just fine.
Though I used to play with tiles enabled, I don’t remember which one tileset exactly.

RetroDays10px. It’s not as “clean” as ASCII - I often find myself squinting to find the lone zombie or copbot that is supposed to be on my screen - but there are no square ASCII fonts I like and I eventually decided that having a square window was worth the trade.

Glorious ASCII.

reconfigured size of titles in ascii
now its awesome i see more features what are not in titles
preformance is far better and no missing titles