What music do you listen to while playing Cataclysm?

Mostly drum and bass. Although when the songs pick up it usually makes me take stupid chances and get myself get killed.

28 days later soundtrack, namely “In a Heart Beat”

also its ending song by Blue States, Season Song

Retro New Wave (Or “Outrun music” or “80s Synth” or any such title). Basically stuff that sounds like this.

Also when I’m not listening to music, I like listening to podcasts or having some Let’s Plays running as background noise. Having other people talking in my ear helps me feel safer during the apocalypse.

MoS is alright, I dunno. Gavin does pretty impressively all things considered, but I find it a bit hit-or-miss.

Personally? Usually something like Electric Six, because I’m a dillweed that way. Atmosphere? What does several kilometers of air above my head have to do with shooting zombies?

I give you a list of tracks that are somehow related.
I listen to:

tracks without lyrics
gopher://uninformativ.de/1/music/Elektronische-Musik/ — n-to-infty (Gopher URL):

[ul][li]gopher://uninformativ.de/s/music/Elektronische-Musik/n-to-infty%20-%20Arbeitstag.ogg — Arbeitstag (Gopher URL) (Very dark atmosphere and somehow industrial, too (hence the name “Arbeitstag” (=German word for “work day”)))[/li][/ul]

The other tracks are nice, too but they clearly don’t fit into the “dark”/“horror” theme. And they aren’t ambient at all.

Shawn Parkle:

[ul][li]Horror and Suspense: atmospheric tracks that serve well as a background ambience, but they are brighter (“less dark”) than “Arbeitstag”[/li][/ul]

Starpilot:

[ul][li]Butcher Knife Syndrome: crazy chiptune madness. You have been warned! [/li][/ul]

tracks with English Lyrics
Viton & Stel:

[ul][li]Nightmare[/li][/ul]

Techno. This is the only track I know from them. On the Internet there are probably lots of copies of it. I bet you’ll find it yourself.

Professor Shyguy:

[ul][li]Zombies > Vampires: This track is not atmospheric at all, I added it just for fun. As the title suggest, this track explains why zombies are greater than vampires ;-)[/li][/ul]

tracks with German Lyrics
Das Schwarze System

[ul][li]Blinder Passagier[/li]
[li]Deine Seele[/li][/ul]

This is electro. And dark.

all:my:faults:

[ul][li]Gesenkte Augen//Geschlossenes Haupt[/li][/ul]

Metal. all:my:faults have some lyrics in English, too. So check out their Jamendo page.

This list is non-exhaustive. :wink:
I just listed the most notable tracks. Especially I omitted a lot of tracks of several artists. So if you liked one track, you probably like the other tracks of the same artist, too.
[hr]

Note: To access “gopher://” URLs, you need a software that knows the Gopher protocol. Gopher is something like the WWW, but much, much older. The main difference is probably that Gopher allows to sort the files in a hierachy, unlike in the WWW, where the website navigation/file hierarchy has to be part of the webpage itself. More infos on Gopher: Wikipedia on Gopher (protocol). If you use Firefox, I recommend OverbiteFF <[iurl=https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/overbiteff/]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/overbiteff/[/iurl]>, an extension that adds Gopher support to Firefox. The track “Arbeitstag” by “n-to-infty” is only accessible via Gopher AFAIK.

[hr]

I would like to know some more ambient tracks with a “spooky” ambient. Sadly I do not know a lot of them. Something similar to Shawn Parkle’s tracks would be cool to know but also “Arbeitstag” goes into that direction. I didn’t check out the tracks of this thread out yet, so sorry if this is a stupid request. If I checked the other tracks out, I report back.

Edit: I had to edit this posting because the fucking stupid forum software destroyed my Gopher URLs -_-

I recommend everyone here trying out the albums Yanqui U.X.O. and F♯A♯∞ from Godspeed You! Black Emperor.

It fits perfectly.

PS: Also the music Moya from the same band.

Mostly Turkish pop songs, or Tarkan, Emrah, and Hande Yener to be more exact. It would be noteworthy to say that a few versions ago, I used some crappy music from a likewise crappy Turkish movie from the 80s, cheated the melee skill to a hundred, and killed everything with a paper wrapper… For !! SCIENCE !!, of course.

Also, interestingly, I just noticed the name of some boards have changed since I last logged in. :stuck_out_tongue: A good change, as the names fit the Cataclysm better.

I have brought together many contributions to this thread into a mega DDA Playlist that might be of interest to some. I will continue to update this with any suggestions that are some combination of

[ul][li]unsettling[/li]
[li]melancholy[/li]
[li]motivational[/li]
[li]reflective[/li]
[li]badassery[/li]
[li]somber[/li]
[li]bitter[/li]
[li]ambient[/li][/ul]

Djent. Lots of djent.

Depends on the situation Im in, if Im surrounded by zombies, heavy metal. Building a shelter, Just any calm music. etc etc.

Personally I just tune in to my main pandora station and let it run.

I like to fly start off Miserable by Lit… Otherwise, plain ol’ Anarchy in the UK does it for me.

Ah yes, Faith no More should do the trick for the works, and I’ll always mix it up with something as vanilla as Monsters by Hurricane Bells.

MOS just came out with a new song and ive been listening the hell out of it/ it switches genres about three times throughout the song

This amazing track when I have many CBMs, this one when I won what seemed like an impossible fight, maybe some Hotline Miami’s songs, like Flatline, Electric Dreams, Deep cover or even Horse Steppin. And a Dick figures’ song. Sometimes.

Most of the songs I listen to are games’ Ost or maybe a random song of a group’s discography (Like Mr. scruff’s Get a move on or a few Coburn’s songs). The only “groups” I “follow” are Power glove, Ratatat, Daft punk, Quantic… and maybe one or two more. Probably.

repeat - 7 hours

if we could get permission from the artist to use http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdYYFSSEFsw would be peple be interested? I think this song fits cataclysm like super well :smiley:

I’ve taken to listening to DOOM music whenever I play Cataclysm. You can get the Midi soundtrack from DOOMRL, the whole soundtrack is less than 1MB and the game unpacked is ~10MB (Download is zipped to about half that size).

1 Like

Sure, I’ll bite, and approve of necroing a thread like this.

I listen to a mix, ranging from metal to electronic to simple easy listening.

You cannot listen to heavy pumping music all the time, you’ll get fatigued. You’ll attract zeds. You’ll go deaf for when it really matters. Ease off the Primal Concrete Sledge and into something else…