What is your raiding strategy?

[quote=“AllisonW, post:37, topic:8244”]Three, I’d also argue that the optimal late-game setup is not based around a wood stove and charcoal forge, but rather around a solar generator powering “vehicle” facilities in the home. (This may be slightly different if you prefer to operate out of an LMOE rather than keeping a base on the surface, but even then, according to Rivet, solar panels will still function outside of your reality bubble, so you can use them to fill storage batteries and then install them in the actual facilities in your basement: storage battery cases will allow you to remove and install storage batteries with only a wrench, so moving full batteries downstairs/empty batteries outside is easy and efficient.) Vehicle-battery-powered facilities are also a given if you prefer to live out of an RV rather than in a geographically stable base.

…Oh, and. This may be a slightly controversial position, but IMO the most important thing for a fledgling character in zombie country is a sewing kit. Reinforced clothes make a humongous difference in survivability in the early game. A sewing kit, a couple blankets, a closed room, and maybe a glowstick, and you’ll be vastly more survivable in short order. Right behind that, I’d say a pipe or similar parrying weapon.[/quote]

Well, yeah, a late game setup definitely doesn’t revolve around a wood stove (really?) even good equipment in early-game would render that stove obsolete (and I don’t think its good to talk about that right now).

Anyway, metalworking does help somewhat but it can really help if you’re having a shortage of pawn shops and antique stores. I admit that high level weapons like Katana and Rapier tend to replace all the things that you can forge yourself but I had to admit metalworking is secondary in late game.

And about that solar power plant, I think it does help in the late game but I’ve not gotten to that level yet (since my last character died after confrontation with a hulk then a minefield, only 119 days IIRC). Currently after surviving 140 days, I’ve created one (not very big but the size of a house), I’ve equipped it with all of the storage batteries from the solar cars I could find in the town, and a recharger to recharge my UPS (rechargeable) and some other “tools”, currently I use it only for charging storage batteries for my solar car and electric bike (most of the vehicles I have are electric, I’ve only a single gasoline based truck which I’ve never used) since their solar panels charge very slowly. I think you’re right about the solar generator, since, near the late game, most of the battery based tools tend to become rechargeable and most of the vehicles are electric, so it really helps to create a generator if you’ve tons of solar panels and storage batteries lying useless in your storage room. Idk about the atomic battery mod but I think that a UPS (rechargeable) + ups conversion modded tools can give the same results as an advanced UPS + plutonium cells + ups conversion modded tools albeit recharging the UPS (rechargeable) would be slower though I’ve not tried this yet.

And yeah, it really sucks to have tons of batteries when you don’t have any use for them either than “eating” them or wasing them by “refill”.

Night vision trait is ideal for night raids and it mutates into high then full night vision which is even better; but have you ever tried to make your light-amp goggles rechargeable, they’re never ever gonna run out if your raid vehicle has a recharger installed :wink: .

In the beginning I try to raise my skills to low level (2-3), create a longbow and then I create equipment and do night raids. Before that I just keep some stimulants handy (Adderall is nice but caffeine pills or an adrenaline injector will do the trick) and raid houses on the outskirts of the town; whenever I encounter a hulk or a shocker brute I use it and run away. After that I conduct night raids deep into the city, special buildings like Garages, Pharmacies, Gun Shops, Parking Lots as my prime targets. As the game progresses, you’ll find yourself conducting more and more night raids as your targets are deep inside the city and if you go there in the day but you’ll have to fight lots of zombies on the way. I do some deep day-raids too, just for fun though, but I always keep, painkillers + bandages and my reflex recurve bow + metal arrows (or pneumatic bolt driver) with me.

Thanks.

I usually take a wheel barrow with a tent and sleeping bag and extra ammo and food and an empty inventory except for basics(meds, melee(sharp), guns(ones with good range), crowbar) I run into the middle of the street, whip out my rifle, kill any HVTs(moose, specials, bots) drop my wheelbarrow in the street. Shank all the zombies with my short katana, juan deag(hwahn-deeg A one shot kill with a desert eagle) the last zombie. Load up on valuables, meds, guns, ammo, weed. Then cache everything else. Go to sleep. Rinse and repeat until ammo runs low and I must return to HQ, picking up caches on the way.

[quote=“KA101, post:38, topic:8244”]Heads-up: Coolthuhlu’s been wanting to issue the zombies night vision, and there’s a mod to give 'em all perfect NV currently in. Partial NV may happen in future mainlines.

Thought I’d post here as zed-NV is likely to seriously change raiding styles.[/quote]
Coolthuhlu we are going to kill you to death!

I think zombie night vision is a bad idea for the game. Without better stealth features the only options this game has is kill them all.

perhaphs have the night vision severly hamper their dayvision, or make all zombies have just their full night vision range for everything

How about making zombies much more sensitive to sound? Clickers were terrifying in the last of us. Or since the zombies are all connected slime-wise, if any zombie knows where you are ALL nearby zombies clue into your current position.

As for raiding? Skater trait makes for some incredible roller-judo!

[quote=“Logrin, post:46, topic:8244”]How about making zombies much more sensitive to sound? Clickers were terrifying in the last of us. Or since the zombies are all connected slime-wise, if any zombie knows where you are ALL nearby zombies clue into your current position.

As for raiding? Skater trait makes for some incredible roller-judo![/quote]

Nah man, zombies are already a real bitch to fight and hone in on sound super easily.

[quote=“Logrin, post:46, topic:8244”]How about making zombies much more sensitive to sound? Clickers were terrifying in the last of us. Or since the zombies are all connected slime-wise, if any zombie knows where you are ALL nearby zombies clue into your current position.

As for raiding? Skater trait makes for some incredible roller-judo![/quote]

I was wondering what Skater actually does, so I made a throwaway roller derby girl to check the description in the mutations list. According to the description, it increases your ability to stay on your feet when “checked or blocked.” I’m going to guess this means you’re less likely to get knocked on your ass when something hits you while you’re wearing skates.

I’m going to go through and check the other profession traits, too. So far, I’ve also checked MD. Description is “You were just through with the administrative formalities for your residency when the cataclysm struck. ‘Your’ hospital was overrun and evacuated, but there’s always work for a good doctor.” Which doesn’t tell me anything about what it does other than that it might affect interactions with NPCs somehow, though I don’t know if the game has any infrastructure for medical quests aside from finding antibiotics and getting them back to an NPC before they die of an infection.

I’ll update this post as I check the other profession traits.

Police Officer (Cop): “You are a duly sworn law enforcement officer, with jurisdiction throughout the New England region thanks to interstate agreements. Whether that means anything now is another question.” Looks like another trait that probably only affects NPC interactions (maybe with the Old Guard).

Police Detective (Police Detective): “You are a duly sworn law enforcement investigator, with jurisdiction throughout the New England region thanks to interstate agreements. Whether your shield means anything now is another question.”

SWAT Officer (SWAT Officer): “You are a duly sworn law enforcer, with jurisdiction throughout the New England region thanks to interstate agreements. Whether that means anything now is another question.”

Bionic Officer (Bionic Police Officer): “You are a cybernetically-resurrected cop, with jurisdiction throughout the New England region thanks to interstate agreements. Whether you can do for the law what the law did for you is another question.”

OK, I’m done suiciding throwaways. Looks like there might be a special storyline or quest line, or just different interactions with the Old Guard, for cops or something. Looks like there’s no such thing for military members, though, at least not that’s listed as a profession trait. Maybe it only affects interactions with cop bots or something.

The police ones chiefly help out when an eyebot drops in. I’m waiting on the computer rework (needs the infrastructure rewritten, I’m afraid) to add the meat on those.

MD helps with bionic installs and will get a benefit when the computer rework goes.

And yeah, Skater means that fighting on wheels won’t be nearly as hard as it is for most folks.

Looks like my poking at the profession traits prompted someone to reword one of them. Glad I did it.

As for profession traits and computers: I take it what you mean is that MDs will get a legit login to Mr. Stem Cell terminals? Now I’m wondering if Lab Techs will get legit logins to lab terminals, or military personnel to military terminals. Hmm.