What is the default speed for main char in game?

I see a Base Move cost and a Current Speed when pressing @.
Then, i look at the encumbrance section and i see, for example, mouth encumbrance adds points to running.
so, i presume running is Base move cost? In fact, how does this all thing works?
From Current Speed, which is the number of points the char gets in 1 turn, the Base Move Cost value is subtracted in case of movement. If this is so, the penalties and bonuses from encumbrance are included in Base Move Cost, or calculated separately?
What happens with any points left? Are they used to calculate the next turn’s movement, eventually being able to move twice, or not at all in 1 turn?

Please, someone explain this mechanic, 'cause i’m sooo confused :slight_smile:

Movement speed is basically how many points you have in both movement and combat.

See that “attack cost” thing on objects? That’s how many points you need to attack with it.

Now, the whole “movement cost” on tiles confuses me a lot still, but I think it’s basically how many of those points you need to move. Not sure about combat, though, because I know windows slow your attack speed and I don’t know why.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:2, topic:954”]Movement speed is basically how many points you have in both movement and combat.

See that “attack cost” thing on objects? That’s how many points you need to attack with it.

Now, the whole “movement cost” on tiles confuses me a lot still, but I think it’s basically how many of those points you need to move. Not sure about combat, though, because I know windows slow your attack speed and I don’t know why.[/quote]

Not quite. You basically move at 100 speed unless pain slows you down or stimulants speed you up some. Your base move cost is how many of those points it costs to move over open, flat ground. Attack speed is based on the moves per attack attribute of your currently wielded weapon.

Basically, when you move one tile across the ground, you start with 100 points, and lose however many points from your base cost to move. If your wearing clothing that doesn’t encumber, and fits nicely, this is usually like 87 points or so. So basically you move one tile and go from 100 points to 13 points. When you move again and run out of points, those points are brought back up to 100 and then the remainder is subtracted from those points. But every time you run out of points, every enemy around you get’s a chance to move as well.

This also applies to attacks too. So for instance, a wrench costs 83 moves per attack. So if you start with 100 points, and attack a zombie, you are brought down to 17 points left to do something else with.

Lastly, when it comes to obstacles, like bushes and windows that have a 400 point movement cost, they really cost 4 times as much to move onto. So when it could have normally only taken 87 points, moving onto a bush would cost 348 movement points. But it doesn’t cost anything extra to attack an enemy that is standing in a bush or in a window. Subsequently, it costs nothing extra for an enemy to attack you while you move through difficult terrain as well. This can lead to a zombie getting off 3-4 attacks on you while your retreating through a window.

Lastly, keep in mind that parkour experts don’t incur these penalties. Unless something has changed recently.

But what is the “speed” modifier in the bottom right?

I don’t get where you pulled out 87. What? I don’t… what?

What?

Okay, you start with 100 points… but… what? No, I don’t, Fleet Footed doesn’t… what? What about Quick? Quick doesn’t make you faster but still gives you points to do… what? What?!

WHAT?!

I DON’T GET

Windows, hedges, fences and the like are classed as ‘hard to move over.’ aka, 300 move points. that’s why most zeds die to windows. they use up their limited move points trying to get through the window, while you get X amount of attacks while they regen their action points.

Fleet footed is a speed bonus. Speed modifier depends on what terrain you’re currently crossing-- e.g, Flat road? Standard modifier. Swampy terrain? slows you down, a mod for that. Aka, the cost to move over terrain-- and then there’s modifiers to yourself-- i.e, if you’re slowed down by dehydration, extreme pain or limb loss.

Quick is an action point bonus-- e.g a character without quick can make say, 3 attacks per turn with a crowbar.
Quick gives some extra action points, so you might be able to squeeze in a 4th attack, or move over an obstacle quicker. Remember, it’s only like a 10-15% bonus.

What, has no-one played any fallout game? FO1/2/3 and tactics all had action points. no more action points, no more actions.

Bear in mind it’s… nearly 4:30 AM here so take these approximations with a hefty grain of salt.

ok, so once i climbed a window, or attracted a monster to a window or bush, does it take more for me/it to perform actions from there? I suspect yes, because once perched on a window, i can hit a critter 2-3 times befor it hits back.
And i noticed that sometimes zeds can climb a bush in 1 turn, other times it takes 3-4 turns. (for the normal green garden variety zeds, that is)

[quote=“Ferodaktyl, post:6, topic:954”]ok, so once i climbed a window, or attracted a monster to a window or bush, does it take more for me/it to perform actions from there? I suspect yes, because once perched on a window, i can hit a critter 2-3 times befor it hits back.
And i noticed that sometimes zeds can climb a bush in 1 turn, other times it takes 3-4 turns. (for the normal green garden variety zeds, that is)[/quote]

No. If you move onto a window with something beside you, it takes you 4 times as long to move over it. If you stay there, you fight at regular speed afterwards. If you move onto the other side of the window and the enemy follows you, it will get stuck in the window for 4 times as long as it would take for that enemy to move normally. Because move onto the window is an obstacle and has a point cost of 400. (Unless its just an open window and not a broken one. Then it’s only like 150 or so.)

[quote=“kilozombie, post:4, topic:954”]But what is the “speed” modifier in the bottom right?

I don’t get where you pulled out 87. What? I don’t… what?

What?

Okay, you start with 100 points… but… what? No, I don’t, Fleet Footed doesn’t… what? What about Quick? Quick doesn’t make you faster but still gives you points to do… what? What?!

WHAT?!

I DON’T GET[/quote]

First, for an explanation as too speed itself in-game I suppose the wiki does it best.

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Speed#Moves

I didn’t pull the number 87 out of nowhere. I suppose things have changed with the dark days ahead mod, but it used to be that you started out with a pair of sneakers that gave you -2 feet encumbrance and a pair of jeans that gave you -1 legs encumbrance. Each point it feet encumbrance will add 5 points to your base movement cost unless the encumbrance is negative (in which case it will discount your movement cost by 5 per point), the legs work similarly, but only modify your movement cost by 3 points each.

This started you off with a movement cost of only 87 points per move on open terrain. I suppose this isn’t the case anymore. I suppose you start off with 95 movement cost unless you change your starting profession during character creation.

[quote=“Labtop_215, post:7, topic:954”]I didn’t pull the number 87 out of nowhere. I suppose things have changed with the dark days ahead mod, but it used to be that you started out with a pair of sneakers that gave you -2 feet encumbrance and a pair of jeans that gave you -1 legs encumbrance. Each point it feet encumbrance will add 5 points to your base movement cost unless the encumbrance is negative (in which case it will discount your movement cost by 5 per point), the legs work similarly, but only modify your movement cost by 3 points each.

This started you off with a movement cost of only 87 points per move on open terrain. I suppose this isn’t the case anymore. I suppose you start off with 95 movement cost unless you change your starting profession during character creation.[/quote]

it’s 89 now with -1 feet(-5) and -2 legs(-6), at least for me (i forgot what profession i chose at start), and this brings to a possible bug : mouth encumbrance has no effect whatsoever, i can pile gas masks on filter masks on whatever else, and my movement points stays the same, even if it says that it adds +x to my running speed.

This also means that the default moving speed is 100, i guess.

By the way, how is this speed compared to a car speed?

The wiki makes more sense.

BMC is a weird term and it doesn’t fit in with how it works AFAIK

Basically, you have 100 “points” (default) and it costs 100 “points” to move on normal land.
If you have 99 speed, you will actually cut into the first turn but then have enough speed to move normally for another 99 turns.

If you had, say, 150 speed, and a weapon with a 50 cost, you could theoretically move and attack in the same turn (with no penalty). The reason 150 speed is faster per se is because you can move once, and then every two turns you can move twice. It’s a win-win situation.

Meaning, logically, even if your speed is one above an enemy’s speed, eventually you will catch up, and vice versa.

Now, the bushes, fences etc. have movement costs higher than 100. So, if you have 100 points and are moving through a clean window (400 cost) you will have four turns of inactivity as you move onto it. You will not get a penalty solely for being on it, however.

The reason one-space windows work so well is because for the first 4 (or more, it depends) turns, the zed is still moving onto the tile, and not attacking you. Theoretically, though, after that grace period, it would attack normally; it depends on how much it costs for a zombie to attack (I would guess 100) and its speed (according to the wiki it’s 70) means that it can attack on most turns, but not all. This is the “slipping by” effect we see sometimes.

However, it also means that it’s almost completely random when you get attacked by a zombie, or how fast something moves. Because you can’t be in-between tiles, when something is innately faster than you it actually just “randomly” moves two or three tiles instead of its normal. If you were a zombie viewing the player character, the same effect would happen; sometimes you could attack, but other times the human would completely outpace you.

Speaking of which, a zombie mode could be interesting…

In my character screen, I just noticed “base move cost”.

Well, the same formula applies, but terrain doesn’t have “100” cost, instead it’s 100% of your BMC (for instance, 85)

I assume it somehow applies to monsters as well, since otherwise you’d be much faster than all of them.