What are the limitations of mods?

Even thought I first started playing CDDA because I was into roguelike games, I think the charm of the game resides on it being more of a sandbox/survival/simulator instead.

This kind of games usually have mod support and a lot of mod options since theres not a correct or purposeful way of playing them. Ive been thinking about mods and modding the game for a while but I find the mod system within the game strange.

Since mods are basically JSON there cant be any program logic happening and you are bound to make everything just a tiny extension around the same games mechanics like mutations. I feel like that if this is true this can be annoying and unrewarding.

Im not saying I dislike the current mod system since I have not started modding yet im asking instead for modders or devs to share their experiences about the limitations of this mod system.

Modders can also request to add C++ code to the base game, even if it’s only beneficial for their mod. So it’s not limited to only json. That said, even with just json is possible to radically alter the game to some extent, such as adding new content, removing content, altering the map generation and setting.

If there is something you need jsonized, you can always make a suggestion in the game github page! Someone will do it eventually.

KorGgenT (the author of Magiclysm) would be surprised to know that there can’t be any program logic happening in the mod. Heck, I’ve added game logic for Dark Skies Above.

2 Likes

I’m not sure we have the same definition of “program logic”, as there’s a lot of support structure to heavily mod the game and make use of AND/OR logic.
Also, keep in mind: The game is open source. This means that you’re not bound to just add a little mod to it, but you can actually change the whole game (and all of its mechanic) up to your liking and publish it as a spin-off or similar.

Weird way to ask, especially if you didn’t try it first, but here’s my experience anyway:
I have yet to run into a situation where I notice “I can’t do that” and I can’t change it. The only limits seem to be self imposed.

Dialogue, spells (which can be triggered in many ways to make special effects), and some other JSON entities are basically Turing complete scripting languages of their own. You can do a lot with mods.

1 Like