Want to try Waterworld Cataclysm? Map inside

So I love to mess around with the debug tools and try to mess with the map generation. Today I discovered a very fun quirk; I made an entire overworld map deep river then teleported to the overworld maps adjacent to generate them and see how it handles trying to blend the tiles together. This is what it did:

Waterworld!

So, I went around and generated a 3x3 overmap area around the starting map, and replaced the all-ocean map with a generated one. So now it’s a 3x3 map full of island cities, sprawling webs of bridges, and tonnes of small/large unconnected islands with or without buildings. It’s actually a lot of fun to play, so I’m putting it up to download for anyone interested in a different kind of map to play on. Some start locations can potentially put you on a tiny island with nothing else, any LMOE or hospital start tends to do this, but since islands are so close together it’s nothing a short swim can’t fix :slight_smile: I generated the outer 3x3 maps with extremely high city size and 6 distance, so you can find some large island cities the further outwards you travel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qx81acnut8dhaxf/Venici.rar?dl=0 Here’s the download link, obviously this is on a recent experimental release (from about a week ago). Difficulty-wise the world is on 2.33x spawns and 1.66x item spawns, static/dynamic NPC and no hordes. Eternal season is on because it’s basically impossible to swim in winter, but it could probably be turned off.

EDIT: Oh, I also have some non-default mods included too, you’ll need them to play, here’s the links: MMEP, Gun Emporium and More Locations.

So I love to mess around with the debug tools and try to mess with the map generation. Today I discovered a very fun quirk; I made an entire overworld map deep river then teleported to the overworld maps adjacent to generate them and see how it handles trying to blend the tiles together.

I had been trying to naturally get a overmap like that for ages and yet never thought of that.

Thanks for sharing

EDIT: I really want to know how you made the map all ocean. Did you do it manually through the edit overmap option in the debug menu or was it through save editing.

Holy crap this is really awesome! Thanks! I think I wanna use this for a playthrough. It would be quiet the challenge surviving. Not only that, but you would need good outdoors survival skills and transportation to make it. This is going to be !FUN!

Can you upload your entire cataclysm folder to something like google drive or dropbox? I tried this with the current cataclysm experimental at the time of this writing, but it shoots up about five minutes of error messages. Would really love to play this.

Tip: You can make any vehicle seaworthy by sticking some boat boards next to the wheels. You need nails to do it and you have to take them off on land.

Here you go :slight_smile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms4rfdqm3tbe208/CataclysmDDA.rar?dl=0 It has a bunch of mods installed and both soundpacks, and the world file should be clean and unplayed.

Here you go :slight_smile: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ms4rfdqm3tbe208/CataclysmDDA.rar?dl=0 It has a bunch of mods installed and both soundpacks, and the world file should be clean and unplayed.[/quote]

Thanks! I might post more on this thread of the ‘what’s going on in your apocalypse’ thread about this. Sounds really fun, seeing as boats are so rarely used in normal cataclysm :3

(makes me wish you could have hydroponic racks or something in vehicles :P)

Looks really FUN!

Wow, I’d love to know more about how this is made so I can generate more worlds like this to play around with. Though I’m not all that fancy with the debug.

This looks really fucking cool. How can I do this in-game? I only have access to the mobile version of the game, which means no file editing or map/mod installing for me.

I do think a few things could* be changed to make this feel more Waterworld-like:

[ul][*] Can you remove those bridges? Make it so roads only spawn very rarely, if at all, on small patches of land with pieces of cities on them. It looks kind of… unfun? Knowing that you can get almost anywhere with regular vehicles using these bridges, rather than having to build a boat to travel around like the original Waterworld.[/ul]

[ul][*] This gen looks kind of like a “mildly-flooded” country rather than the sea taking over the world. Most of this is caused by bridges being so common, connecting nearly all the islands together, but also because the islands are so big and so close to eachother on the overmap. Perhaps upping the city spacing and lowering the city size could make it look better?[/ul]

[ul][*] Can all the dirt be replaced with sand? (Is there even sand in the game?) Imagine the two previous suggestions combined with this one; smaller sand islands, farther away from each other, nothing connecting between them other than a vast amount of water. The true Waterworld experience.[/ul]

* Saying “could” because I don’t know if you were going for an identical copy of Waterworld or just the challenge of a world filled with water. If you want the former, perhaps what I suggested could be done to help.

Makes me wonder if it’s currently possible to make new map region generators. A good first (rather second one) would be island based shenanigans.

[quote=“KliPeH, post:10, topic:11332”]This looks really fucking cool. How can I do this in-game? I only have access to the mobile version of the game, which means no file editing or map/mod installing for me.

I do think a few things could* be changed to make this feel more Waterworld-like:

[ul][*] Can you remove those bridges? Make it so roads only spawn very rarely, if at all, on small patches of land with pieces of cities on them. It looks kind of… unfun? Knowing that you can get almost anywhere with regular vehicles using these bridges, rather than having to build a boat to travel around like the original Waterworld.[/ul]

[ul][*] This gen looks kind of like a “mildly-flooded” country rather than the sea taking over the world. Most of this is caused by bridges being so common, connecting nearly all the islands together, but also because the islands are so big and so close to eachother on the overmap. Perhaps upping the city spacing and lowering the city size could make it look better?[/ul]

[ul][*] Can all the dirt be replaced with sand? (Is there even sand in the game?) Imagine the two previous suggestions combined with this one; smaller sand islands, farther away from each other, nothing connecting between them other than a vast amount of water. The true Waterworld experience.[/ul]

* Saying “could” because I don’t know if you were going for an identical copy of Waterworld or just the challenge of a world filled with water. If you want the former, perhaps what I suggested could be done to help.[/quote]

Unfortunately I haven’t found a way to remove the bridges automatically, I could remove them manually but it’s a lot of work, and any new map regions will continue to generate bridges. It looks like a flooded countryside because the terrain generator doesn’t like to create large open bodies of water, so it tends to populate the area with noisy islands. I tried messing with city spacing and size but it doesn’t really affect the terrain generation much unfortunately. It’s not really meant to be like Waterworld, I just wanted something catchy in the thread title :V

As for how I did it, I generated a Defense world (makes a map region nothing but the starting feature and flat grassland) then opened the 0.0.0.0 map file in Notepad++ and edited each line describing Z level terrain to simply be solid rock from below ground to the bottom Z level, ground level changed to deep river, all levels above to air. I remove all references to cities, monster groups, radios etc. I then generate another world with the proper settings I want, then suicide my character and paste the edited world file over the top of the existing one. I also delete all the pre-genned map chunks in the subfolder inside the save file. I load the save back up, use debug to reveal the map to check if the edits worked properly, then teleport to each adjacent world map and reveal map. This will generate adjacent maps with the very watery, island-based terrain, which will thin out and become more solid land as you travel further away. I usually then save and quit, delete the 0.0.0.0 world file from the save, reload my save and teleport back to the starting region, generating a map tile that (mostly) fits the surrounding terrain.

So you can manipulate map generation to an extent if you do some hand-editing, though I’m not sure what the map generator looks at when creating a map to join to another - does it inspect the border of the joining map and try to generate something that “fits”? That’s what I’m guessing is happening when the game sees a map with nothing but deep river all along it’s border and tries to match it.

A quick and dirty way to get around the fact bridges generate everywhere effectively blocking the use of boats for travel would be to go into the map files for bridges and replace every tile with shallow water. That way you can still walk and drive regular vehicles on them without blocking the ability for boats to cross.

Would shallow water cut it? Making a dry dock of sorts?

Would shallow water cut it? Making a dry dock of sorts?[/quote]
Yep. I like to drive the Solar Roller’s ram into the shallow water, put two boards on it, one more on the back of the car, and drive off. Flawless until I run into a fish and one board breaks and I have to go swimming to get some 2x4s.

What is that thing on the example map that looks like 8 military camps in a circle?

my question too…

It’s a military outpost, I just found one. I think it’s new, like factories. No spoilers from me.

thats def not currently vanilla.

It looks like some kind of alter, actually.

ziggurat, ziggurat, ziggurat, HOOOO

Certainly possible, I actually started to work on making this a mod yesterday!

Meanwhile In modville:

[spoiler=reef]

(Actually the river given a makeover)[/spoiler]