Vehicle, meet wall

Hello. First time poster here. I’ve been playing CDDA for a few days now.

Anyway, I just wanted to explore if the following is a valid strategy and an alternative to using serious explosives. What I hope to do is to build an excessively armored vehicle and drive it through a military base wall. There’s this military base near my very first starting location and its existence has been taunting me ever since. I don’t have explosives or military IDs, or whatever is needed to normally access them, but what I am about to have is the capability of building a vehicle. So, is it possible to build like a 10-ton battering ram that goes like 300mph? What sort of results should I expect upon the collision? Also, would I be able to run over a couple of turrets while I’m doing that, or would the collision with the turrets stop the vehicle dead in the tracks? Should my character wear the sturdiest armor I can find while I’m driving in order to minimize the collision damage to him? Should I pull this off during night, under the cover of darkness, so that the turrets would hopefully react much later as I speed towards them?

That’s of course just the first part of my current action plan. I have no idea what I’ll find inside a military base and I don’t really want to know. After the crash, I was thinking I’d take out the rest of the turrets with smoke grenades, followed by hand grenades, or at least I’m assuming turrets can’t see through smoke. I could possibly even carry a dynamite charge or something right next to a turret, under the cover of smoke. Hell, I’ll even build hasty wood walls around them if the smoke lasts, to block the line of sight permanently.

I have to mention first that I have not piloted a vehicle in CDDA yet. I don’t know what to expect. I’ve read a whole bunch about the vehicle construction though (with a grin on my face). Would it possible to place the driver’s seat somewhere in the back, so that it’ll be the least likely spot to take damage in the collision and the incoming turret gunfire? I’ve also read that if you fly (through the windshield), and land in water, you won’t take damage at all. This might sound looney but would it possible to build a swimming pool in the front section of the vehicle, or should I just expect to fly way past the front of the car, possibly slamming the concrete wall of the military base? Do seatbelts keep the driver in place no matter what the speed is at the collision moment?

Also, since the military base in question is almost in the forest, and the ground is grass, would a nearby forest fire help me in anyway? Do fires spread on grass? Although right now I can’t remember if the base’s immediate surroundings were concrete or grass. The fire and the resulting smoke might provide visual cover but the fire might damage the vehice if I drive through it.

So… is any of this doable? Can I punch a vehicle through concrete or whatever the military base walls are made of?

Military base as in the one with turrets or bunker? If base then sure - it doesn’t have tough walls. Bunker (made of metal) will probably stop any tank.

If you want to be immune to turrets, board the front section of the vehicle and drive blindly or at least put a curtain on your windshield. Turrets won’t shoot the vehicle if they can’t see you.

If you have access to military-grade weaponry, it’s probably a much better idea to just wait for the night and snipe the turrets, though. They’re the most dangerous part of the base, because pretty much only power armor can stop a bullet from a milspec turret.
After killing the turrets, you could safely ram the wall. Preferably a corner rather than a straight section.

If you are building a ramming vehicle then installing a five point harness (it requires a long rope if i remember right) instead of the normal seat belt will protect you from falling out of your seat.

In my current world, sometimes I had to drive through buildings or forest. The safest way is to build any vehicle and use “BULLDOZER” technique - just adjust your cruise control to 32-48 km/h (20-30 mph) and ram the walls.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:2, topic:8558”]Military base as in the one with turrets or bunker? If base then sure - it doesn’t have tough walls. Bunker (made of metal) will probably stop any tank.

If you want to be immune to turrets, board the front section of the vehicle and drive blindly or at least put a curtain on your windshield. Turrets won’t shoot the vehicle if they can’t see you.

If you have access to military-grade weaponry, it’s probably a much better idea to just wait for the night and snipe the turrets, though. They’re the most dangerous part of the base, because pretty much only power armor can stop a bullet from a milspec turret.
After killing the turrets, you could safely ram the wall. Preferably a corner rather than a straight section.[/quote]

Well, it has 8 turrets outside, 2 on each four side. Map says “Military outpost”. Grey M. A few military zombies buzz around the place. No access to advanced weaponry, which is one of the reasons I want to crack the place open. Maybe I’ll just try to ram all the turrets first when I get a chance, and then see about the wall.

God I love that curtain tip. Hilarious! :smiley:

Thank you, thank you all, btw. This is most enlightening.

Military outposts don’t generally have a lot of gear in my experience. What they do have is military ID cards, which is what you need to get into bunkers, where the good stuff is. Last few military outposts I took out had a couple MREs. The most valuable stuff I got from the area were the CMBs out of the Bio-Operators.

^ This

The ID’s and CBMs, most which I had, and a little bit of ammo. Felt kinda cheap really.

If there’s a barracks you’ve got a rare shot at Krav Maga or Ninjutsu style books, too. (Leastwise in experimentals.)

My best experiences with militaru barracks involves night cover, some kind of night vision, and piles of IEDs. For cover you even may want to build a 5x1 wide vehicle out of boards (is there an extra light variant?), and handles/wires as the underframe. Extremely light and can block field of view when a milspec searchlight spots you.

What I have done in the past is just get the recipe for light amp goggles and then wait until a stormy night. I’ve been able to walk within 10 or so tiles of turrets and take them out with a rifle.

If you are especially lucky, then you can get the mutation for night vision, eliminating the need to grind electronics skill until you can make light amp goggles.
These are pretty rare, as I’ve only found them once or twice before in survivor stashes in caves.