Varied City Sizes

I feel you, Pth!

About

[quote=“arcke, post:20, topic:4696”][quote=“i2amroy, post:7, topic:4696”]One potential improvement we’ve been looking at is having a min and max city size option, rather then just a size one. That would allow you to have varying city sizes.

As for more realistic thing (with outlier towns on big cities and such) that will hopefully come about as part of the regional type code eventually, though it still needs some definite work. :P[/quote]
Great, this would add a lot more diversity to a single game. Maybe it can be so that the min and max sizes are rare while the average sizes are encountered regularly.[/quote]

, maybe an extra option, about the average city size? So, you could choose a world with common metropolis and ocasionally, some small towns, or the opposite, a world with very small towns and rarely a huge metropolis.

The eventual goal would be to maybe have it tweakable a bit, but mostly supply varying size settlements by just generating a wide spread of sizes, with smaller sizes being more common, and maps or signs pointing to larger ones.
The super-eventual goal would have overmap-sized megacities with suburbs sprawling onto surrounding overmaps, all of which would be quite difficult to navigate because of the number of zombies.

I think I tried maxing out the city size once and it was pretty close to continuous city sprawl. Had some clear zones though.

Yea we sort of can fake it even now, the problems are that it doesn’t make what looks like a downtown of a city, it just makes more suburban-style sprawl, and we don’t have the infrastructure in place to say one overmap is a big city and the next is suburbs etc.

What Kevin said i guess. Still the closest you can get to a huge “city” .

Theres no scyscrapers yet either. Or bigger buildings (as in more then 2 upper lvls) for that matter.