Unfletched arrow critizisms

I have a couple criticisms of the new arrow changes in the experimental builds. Sorry if it’s a bit harsh, but I’m trying to keep it constructive.

Why are wooden arrow shafts/unfletched arrows not fireable now? Some quick internet research says it might be useful for calibration because there is no fletching to correct the arrows path, not that I really know anything about the topic. Maybe firing unfletched fireharded arrows trains your fabrication skill for creating a short bow? In the case we stick with the new system, how about removing the stats for firing unfletched arrows and moving them out of the arrow section under ammo as these things are misleading?

Why are we making arrows more complicated to craft? Why have an unfletched option at all when I’m just going to use it craft the fletched version? or alternately have a recipe for the fletched version that doesn’t require the extra steps. Maybe it’s not that important, but I don’t like the hassle.

This is a good idea.

Having that extra step was meaningful when you could grind archery with the shafts, now it’s just counterproductive.

Wooden arrow shafts/unfletched arrows were made unfireable because we were getting swamped in bug reports of “arrows have no range” and “arrows do no damage” because people were essentially shooting flat-tipped sticks at people and then complaining when it didn’t do anything.

As for why the recipe takes multiple steps, it’s mainly because elsewise you end up with these huge, crazy complicated recipes that are difficult to write up properly and difficult to understand at a glance due to the sheer number of components and different ways to make each part of the arrow.

That said you can always batch craft your arrows, then it’s only something like 3 craftings for however many arrows you want.

I think the hassle isn’t with mashing the re-craft button. The hassle is figuring out what supplies you need. Maybe I can craft 100 unfletched but only have enough after that for 10 actual arrows. These days I often use the batch processing menu to figure out how much I can make and what I will loose in the process, which is very convenient and ultimately leads to having more fun.

Examples
fletched fire-hardened wooden arrow
Tools required:

1 tool with cutting of 1 or more.
nearby fire <----------- Added
Components required:
5 superglues OR 5 bone glues OR 10 threads OR 10 sinews OR 10 plant fibers
10 wooden arrow shafts <----------- Modified
10 fletchings

fletched field point wooden arrow
Tools required:

1 tool with cutting of 1 or more.
1 tool with hammering of 1 or more
Components required:
10 superglues OR 10 bone glues OR 20 threads OR 20 sinews OR 20 plant fibers
10 wooden arrow shafts
5 bones OR 5 human bones OR 10 tainted bones OR 1 rock OR 1 ceramic shard OR 2 scrap metals OR 10 nails
10 fletchings

The complexity seams about the same and it seams less complex than the current state of things. It would also play nicer with figuring out how much you can make from the batch processing menu.

Well, actually i’m an archer (still novice), my first hand-crafted bows and arrows were simple ones, a long stick with a string and a bunch of arrow shafts. Its just a great set to start your adventure with archery. It simply piss me off that you need a book to even make anything shootable when starting without any skill.

Please hit them with a mallet over a head or something… I can understand shafts (well they still fly as any proper arrow, only rotate in flight) but when you stick any mass at front it goes as straight as any proper arrow should. IMO unfletched arrows should be only little less accurate (less deadly too so they would be worth upgrading) then fletched counterparts.
And adding a simple “Archery target” would be grate so you could train in peace before going to hunt.
Or simply shooting a wall or tree would raise your skill up to 4-5, you always start with stationary targets.

shooting at nothing will actually train your skill.

So you do not need a target whatsoever.

You CAN now craft arrows in batches?!?
Need to load latest experimental then since last I checked arrows couldn’t be crafted in batches, only the parts.
Not touching the realism this new system makes survival in “HC-mode ( default points, normal zombies)” maybe a bit too hard due to survivor not beign able to get a decent missile weapon without doing some looting.

I am pretty sure that we still can not batch craft arrows.

I have been batch crafting all my arrows.

I have been batch crafting all my arrows.[/quote]

I will try that with the latest experimental now.

edit:

As you can see (if you can read german lel) batch crafting is not available for wooden arrows. You must have been making other arrows that can not be disassembeld into theire parts.

I remember batch-crafting wooden arrows in 0.B and noting that crafting a batch of 100 arrows at a time gave the same amount of XP as crafting 10 arrows at a time (thus leading me to avoid batch-crafting in any recipe that gave me XP). If you can’t batch-craft WA then it’s been changed after that version.