[UI] Inventory + Layers-screen Hybrid (CONCEPT ART)

The inventory screen desperately needs an overhaul when it comes to showing and displaying armor and clothes you’re wearing. It’s very bulky and disorganized at the moment, showing clothes by the order you used/applied them instead of by the way they’re worn (innermost => outermost) or by category (head, torso, feet etc).
This is what the current inventory screen looks like (for comparison purposes):

I was looking at the clothing-layering screen (activated by pressing =) and realized it does a very good job at displaying worn items, showing both body-part categories and layer-order in a simple way and in one concentrated place. It doesn’t take much space, and could easily be fitted into the (i)nventory screen, without having to code anything new (hopefully) or implementing any new features. Now, I don’t know any coding, but thought I could perhaps demonstrate how it would look if the right side of the layering screen was “copy-pasted” (with a few changes) into the Inventory replacing the existing “Items worn” category:

There are two major differences between the hybrid and the original “Items worn” inventory:

• Clothes are not displayed by the order you wore them, but by categories. Also, the actual layers are present: uppermost item is the innermost layer, and lowermost item is the outermost layer, just like in the regular Layers screen.
  • I chose not to include the clothing/armor health-bar display (||), simply because item color can do the same thing. Health-bars can be included which would get rid of most problems that come with the color change, and the rest of this change ignored. But, if we do use coloring, dark-green can be reinforced clothing, green can be full-health clothing, yellow can be damaged clothing, purple can be heavily-damaged clothing and red can be nearly-destroyed clothing. The hybrid would display them like this:

Along with the changes come two big questions:

1. Does the layering screen become obsolete?
  2. How do you solve color-clashing between the hybrid-section and the regular inventory? (Yellow is used when an item is turned on and for damaged clothing, dark green is used for a weapon and matching ammo, but also on reinforced clothing etc)

Here’s what I think;

1. The layers-screen doesn’t become obsolete because it is generally more specific and detailed than the inventory screen. First of all, I deliberately removed left/right limb distinction from the hybrid (mostly because it isn’t really used, but still). The layer-screen can keep this distinction instead. Second of all, the hybrid doesn’t display warmth, storage and encumbrance the way the L-screen does, and as such using the latter is more convenient than checking each item in the inventory separately. Third of all, you can’t actually re-layer stuff from the inventory even though the layer order is there. You’ll have to go to the actual (=) menu to do this.

2. Like I mentioned earlier, this change can be completely ignored and only the first one implemented. It would be more convenient and new-user-friendly, but doing it this way is still an option. The actual-inventory/hybrid color clash can be solved in a few ways:

a) Perhaps the least reasonable thing to do, yet still an option, is to ignore the clash completely. The colors in the inventory mean one thing, but are actually the health display when the item is on the hybrid side (as clothes/armor). This is confusing for new players and old players alike, and doesn’t solve health and item-is-on clash, but I’m sure someone could think of a way to make this work.
b) [ON] tag, just like the (fits) tag on clothing. Simply put, the item name doesn’t change color when activated, but rather gets a [ON] tag to show that it is being used and draining batteries. That way the clothing can have the name-color display health, and the [ON] tag display when it is activated.
M - head torch (95)
|
V
M - [ON] head torch (95)
This doesn’t solve the matching-ammo/reinforced clothing problem, but could be used nonetheless.
c) Probably the best solution, have item-letters (and symbols if on) change color instead of item names, so the names can display health and the letters display anything else. The letter of an activated item will be yellow, the symbol of matching ammo dark-green etc. As far as I’m aware, the only problem this doesn’t solve is an unread book and nearly-destroyed armor clash, but I can’t think of anything that will solve this except
d) changing any other item-coloring so nothing clashes with the main four that display clothing health. I mean, it IS possible, just very inconvenient for anybody who already learned what every color means.

So, what do you think? Would you like to see this in-game? Do you have any other solution to what I suggested? Is there anything that could be changed/enhanced to make the playing experience better? Please do comment and let me know.

It looks like you worked hard on this and given it a lot of thought, but I was hoping to the inventory screen would look more like the layer/clothes screen. That would be handy if containers ever are.

It also looks like it could get a rather long list built up with just a few items that cover multiple parts.

I think it’s overall a good idea.
I only have two concerns, deadmerits touched on one, which is that inserting the categories extends the length of the list quite a bit.
The second is the reason we have health bars for items in the first place, which is that only giving that information by color-coding is rather unfriendly to color-blind users. I don’t see a way around this one.

As for the length problem, it strikes me that we might have enough width to have a third column, and even if not it could just be a scrolling list, which wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Health-bars can be included which would get rid of most problems that come with the color change, and the rest of this change ignored.

Been there, wouldn’t try again (It really gets quite rainbowy): PR: Color clothing items depending on damage value.

It’s already way shorter with item hp bars than it was before.

As for worn item category and sorting, I’m for it. Just needs to be scrollable with lower window height.

Interesting. What did you have in mind? I thought adding storage / encumbrance / warmth values would clutter the thing too much, and wouldn’t really be that necessary.
Other than that, I think it would’ve been cool if the Inventory UI had its own “window” with its own borders, much like any other menu in the game (the layer-screen, construction menu, vehicle menu to name a few). I think it would give the player a “taking a quick look into my backpack” feeling and generally look a little bit better. It’s the only other resemblance to the L-screen I could find.

Hm, I see. I suspected this will be way more problematic than I initially assumed. Like I said, the coloring part isn’t very important to me; I wanted to focus on the categories, which were actually well received, rather than armor coloring which was discussed more and as such made the post look like it was centered around that. The current health-bar system is good, I just thought we could simplify it and have more eye candy when looking through the inventory.

Thank you for having the color deficient in mind. Here’s a version without the color change (which will be added to my main post as well);

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:3, topic:11035”]I only have two concerns, deadmerits touched on one, which is that inserting the categories extends the length of the list quite a bit.
[…]
As for the length problem, it strikes me that we might have enough width to have a third column, and even if not it could just be a scrolling list, which wouldn’t be the end of the world.[/quote]
Keep in mind that the images I posted are cropped and if you set the game to fullscreen mode (1680x1050 in my case) you get a LOT of unused space to play with. I removed it because I didn’t need it in the demonstration and didn’t want to make the images unnecessarily large. Either way, I understand that not everybody plays on high resolutions and with fullscreen mode to begin with, so you can either use your suggestions (scrolling, using more than one page at a time, or using more columns) or just compress the list even more, say, turning ARMS + LEGS to LIMBS or something. You could then separate sub-categories with a single line between the lists (what used to be a header and two extra lines) to conserve space.

Besides, even though it’s possible, I don’t think players will need to have too much extra space for these lists. Usually more clothes = more encumbrance = lower performance, and as such they tend to stick to beefy armor without much else on their person, resulting in shorter armor lists. It’s kind of like being able to have numerous pages in your inventory, but most players will probably only ever use one (when not looting).

This is brilliant!

What I had meant was basically what you said, the out lines and borders. That’s what came to mind when I first read the title.