Traveling Hordes

I’ll admit I don’t know what’s planned already and what is actually possible to be implemented, but traveling hordes would make this game just so much more aweseom! :s

I imagine they wouldn’t be all that hard to make, not that I could. But something like having a “horde entity” traveling on the map that stores the amount and types of zombies that are in it, and spawns them randomly when the portion of the map which is occupied by them is loaded shouldn’t be all that unimaginably hard to make.

In current version there isn’t much danger as long as you stay away from town centers. The survival part pretty much ends as soon as you get good gear, supplies and a hideout or a car. Right now the only danger that will come to you when you are not risking the encounter yourself are wild animals, and they don’t pose much threat.

But a traveling horde? It is something to be prepared for. Something to fortify your shelter for and something to hope will never happen to you. It is something awesome!

This is indeed planned.

Great!

Is there maybe a list of planned features somewhere?

I was thinking about this the other day and how it would make cleared towns more interesting in static spawn mode. You think you’re safe when all of sudden a horde comes wandering down the highway and into town. So I’m glad to see that’s on the to do list!

I hope there’s some rhyme and reason to it. Hordes traveling across the countryside from town to town in a semi-random way would be interesting, stopping for a day or three in each one. It’d also be interesting if a horde would ‘follow’ the player to the nearest town in the direction they last saw the player go. So if you travel to the next town and alert the wandering horde and run/drive straight back to your hometown, you might feel safe until a while later when a couple dozen zombies waltz into town looking for you.

Even if they added traveling hordes, it does not matter, because cars are invincible and unstoppable killing machines.

Every zombie in Cataclysm can be safely defeated by spinning donuts in the middle of the street, and unless a “traveling horde” is both infinite and composed solely of Hulks, it still won’t carry any risk.

They seriously need to jack the damage penalty for car collisions way the fuck up.
Zombies are just humans, and running over a human at 40 miles per hour pretty much always causes significant damage to a car; plowing through ten of them should put it out of commission entirely,
much less the hundreds of zombies that cars can go through without taking a scratch.

imagine driving down the highway in a semi and seeing a horde in the middle of the road. So. Much. Damage.

[quote=“Mdnthrvst, post:5, topic:899”]Even if they added traveling hordes, it does not matter, because cars are invincible and unstoppable killing machines.

Every zombie in Cataclysm can be safely defeated by spinning donuts in the middle of the street, and unless a “traveling horde” is both infinite and composed solely of Hulks, it still won’t carry any risk.

They seriously need to jack the damage penalty for car collisions way the fuck up.
Zombies are just humans, and running over a human at 40 miles per hour pretty much always causes significant damage to a car; plowing through ten of them should put it out of commission entirely,
much less the hundreds of zombies that cars can go through without taking a scratch.[/quote]

Except that modern cars are flimsy affairs, specifically to protect pedestrians in the case of a collision, and the driver/passengers in the case of a vehicle-vehicle collision.

Cataclysm cars are built from real steel, and are really more like tractors or tanks than what we think of as cars.

To be fair, you can literally drive a sedan through a team of Zs, no problem. Those aren’t custom built: they’re literally just cars.

“Steel Frame”
“Steel Plate”
Are components of theses cars.

Metal will dent, fiberglass (composite) just breaks.
A car with a steel frame and a steel plate could take alot of hit from these meatbags of zombies and not get hurt all that much. The IRL car has a Fiberglass outside and steel frame, so it cannot take a impact like a full steel-car.

And yet the cars still drive like fiberglass dream cars.

Honestly vehicles could use a bit of an overhaul in general. But agreed that a vehicle made with steel would have little issues plowing through piles of zombies (though I’d argue that the wheels would get caught up on the bodies regardless). But adding a fiberglass component for existing sedans, that can’t take a hit, would be a good thing. Also making motorcycles capable of crashing when hitting zombies would be good.

But this is all totally off-topic and unrelated to the original post. Hordes are a good idea whether vehicles are unrealistically badass or not.