Trains and more vehicle damage

I always thought it would be cool if there were trains in the game and that there were railways that the train would ride on. this would be a hard thing to implement because you would have to make a whole new vehicle with train carts and stuff and you would have to have train engines and other train parts to repair the train which maybe you could find in train yards and stuff and also you would have to make it so the train would stay on the railroad tracks. But I thought of this idea because you could travel a lot faster to different towns.

Another thing I want to say is that I think that cars are too strong. I say this because when I found a pickup truck in a parking lot and accidentaly drove it into a house the pickup drove ALL the way through and barely anything happened to it. Also I shot an RPG-7 at a car and it didn’t do that much damage. ive seen footage of an RPG being shot at a REAL car and it was blown to pieces. I think cars are too strong. Sorry about the long post but I wanted everything said.

Trains are definitely on our to do list (surprisingly a lot of the train mechanics would also be shared by trailers, so if trailers go in you will know we won’t be too far away from trains).

As for cars I’ll definitely agree that it still needs some tweaking. The big difficulty with cars is that there is a very fine line between too strong and too weak, and is definitely something that we are still fiddling with.

1 Like

Couldn’t the factor of damage a car takes just from explosions be multiplied? or does the game has no way of tracking the different sources of damage? I think it should be possible judging from the fact that different amounts of damage are received by vehicle/vehicle and vehicle/terrain collisions.

When you want to fix a problem it’s generally best to treat the problem itself, not the symptoms. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, we could do something like this, but it could very easily lead to you stepping on a landmine and walking out fairly fine yet when your car hits one the whole car disintegrates into a million pieces of shrapnel.

“Also I shot an RPG-7 at a car and it didn’t do that much damage. ive seen footage of an RPG being shot at a REAL car and it was blown to pieces.”

If so, you were either watching a fictional movie or it wasn’t an RPG-7 but rather some other kind of rocket propelled explosive device.

RPG-7s are designed to use a shaped charge of high explosive to drive a jet of superheated copper through tank armor, not to blow vehicles to pieces.

Mythbusters recently did an episode on exactly this - they fired an RPG-7 straight into the front of an SUV. It made a mess of the bumper, and put a big hole in the engine, and that was about it.

[quote=“sideways86, post:5, topic:5230”]“Also I shot an RPG-7 at a car and it didn’t do that much damage. ive seen footage of an RPG being shot at a REAL car and it was blown to pieces.”

If so, you were either watching a fictional movie or it wasn’t an RPG-7 but rather some other kind of rocket propelled explosive device.

RPG-7s are designed to use a shaped charge of high explosive to drive a jet of superheated copper through tank armor, not to blow vehicles to pieces.

Mythbusters recently did an episode on exactly this - they fired an RPG-7 straight into the front of an SUV. It made a mess of the bumper, and put a big hole in the engine, and that was about it.[/quote]Well, yes - because it was shot at the engine. And RPG-7 hitting the windshield will turn the whole cabin inside-out, because it will explode inside the enclosed area.

But yes, as-is an RPG-7 is an armor-piercing shaped charge, not a simple high-explosive. But if it were a high-explosive, it could be pretty damn powerful.

[quote=“i2amroy, post:2, topic:5230”]Trains are definitely on our to do list (surprisingly a lot of the train mechanics would also be shared by trailers, so if trailers go in you will know we won’t be too far away from trains).

As for cars I’ll definitely agree that it still needs some tweaking. The big difficulty with cars is that there is a very fine line between too strong and too weak, and is definitely something that we are still fiddling with.[/quote]

Are there any plans/intentions to be able to drive for example bikes up a ramp into the back of a truck and store it there? I’d love to see some Knight Rider-esque actions like escaping my doomed mobile base truck by jumping into the golf cart stored inside it and driving out the back while the truck crashes into an apartment.

1 Like

Definitely would be nice to see something like what Jim said. It’s only a few steps away from vehicular Jenga: like normal Jenga, but with less replayability and a lot more shrapnel. Fun for the whole family.

Starting an agreement chain here, but I’d love a vehicle matryoshka. Mobile train base with a car stored in one of the train cars, and my trusty folded bicycle stored in the back of my car.

Another fun thing? If you turn fixing the bike to the truck into a minigame i.e. you choose how much rope you use to fasten the bike. If you are stingy and only use one short rope then next time you hit the breaks you’ll get a motorbike to the back of the head.

Well now that someone has already put in tracks we just need the trains!