Town Difficulty Levels

So, would it at all be possible to work in town difficulty level of spawns? So, each town that is generated has a chance that it will spawn harder or, easier monsters on average.
I was thinking maybe town size would also impact the chances of this happening. A large town would generally be more diverse, but maybe before the cataclysm, a small town (Size 1), was inhabited by all farmers, or it was a mining town, and therefore the city was occupied by somewhat tougher people than the suburbs and therefore has significantly more tough zombies. Maybe survivors had already cleared through the town meaning theres more crawling zombies, because they were somewhat sadistic and didn’t want to put the zombified people out of their misery. Or maybe the town was being experimented on before or just after the fall, and theres just hulks, HULKS EVERYWHERE!

I feel like it would just add a new layer of difficulty to towns, and would also be incredibly fun, because really, who doesn’t want to fight an army of Hulks.

Definitely an interesting idea, though if implemented it would need to be carefully managed. Nobody wants to start a new game only to find both nearby cities are full of hulks.

This is a great idea!

I’d say this is a great idea.

Like, I remember in the walking dead graphic novels, running into the city was, like, not an option at all because of the amount of zombies there. It would be neat to fiddle with the settings to make it more like that that sprinting through a city all willy nilly.

I think that it should change the number or density of zombies though, since having a city of all hulks just sounds stupid.

[quote=“WaffleEggnog, post:4, topic:5258”]I’d say this is a great idea.

Like, I remember in the walking dead graphic novels, running into the city was, like, not an option at all because of the amount of zombies there. It would be neat to fiddle with the settings to make it more like that that sprinting through a city all willy nilly.

I think that it should change the number or density of zombies though, since having a city of all hulks just sounds stupid.[/quote]

You can actually already change the population spawn density, so if you took out the variable zombie types, you would be adding nothing we don’t already have.

great idea. also different size towns. small and large ones. large ones have better items and more of them, but alot more spawns.

I do

Couldn’t you do:
Arbitrary distance away from spawn = greater threat levels.
Like almost every rpg ever.
[size=7pt]Keep in mind this took 4 seconds of thought.[/size]

[quote=“Cherry, post:8, topic:5258”]Couldn’t you do:
Arbitrary distance away from spawn = greater threat levels.
Like almost every rpg ever.
[size=7pt]Keep in mind this took 4 seconds of thought.[/size][/quote]

We could, but 1) it’d be arbitrary (which we avoid as best we can); 2) since new chars can spawn in any evac shelter present in the world, that’d play hell with multiple (whether consecutive or simultaneous) chars in the same world.

So it’s probably not the best solution. Sorry. :-/

The problem is, small town life or even countryside homes are going to actually have more useful stuff IRL. How many city slickers or even suburb types have crowbars, hacksaws, hunting rifles, generators, etc. Lots of canned food, etc.

The problem is, small town life or even countryside homes are going to actually have more useful stuff IRL. How many city slickers or even suburb types have crowbars, hacksaws, hunting rifles, generators, etc. Lots of canned food, etc.[/quote]
The only flaw in your logic is that 90% of the time, those small town people bought it from the city. I recall one occasion in the past 12 years my grandparents didn’t have to drive to the closest thing to a city nearby to buy their cool equipment, and most canaries (Yes I know) don’t just ship all their food to the a backwoods Mom and pop shop, it’s usually the big megastores near cities.

Is it possible to detect what kind of buildings present in the city?

If it is, then it would be viable to implement either one or even multiple variables, that will define threat level of the city.

Option 1: “Better” buildings - more threat. Towns that have a lot of important buildings would have increase in zombie density\variation compared to villages, that house only houses and few grocery stores, even if said villages are size 8+

Option 2: Multiple variables: have basic houses define zombie density, while buildings like police station, or military base would decrease density (some zombies shot already) while increasing amount of special zombies (military zombies, police zombies)

The problem is, small town life or even countryside homes are going to actually have more useful stuff IRL. How many city slickers or even suburb types have crowbars, hacksaws, hunting rifles, generators, etc. Lots of canned food, etc.[/quote]
The only flaw in your logic is that 90% of the time, those small town people bought it from the city. I recall one occasion in the past 12 years my grandparents didn’t have to drive to the closest thing to a city nearby to buy their cool equipment, and most canaries (Yes I know) don’t just ship all their food to the a backwoods Mom and pop shop, it’s usually the big megastores near cities.[/quote]But the houses in the suburbs/semi-suburbs would still be mostly empty of useful stuff.

Normally, suburbians are the ones with enough money to purchase all the cool stuff. BOCTAOE

Cool stuff doesn’t necessarily = useful stuff.

I live in a suburb and own a hacksaw, a crowbar, quite a bit of tinned food, a hotplate, cookwear, a backpack, a sewing kit, a pair of binoculars, a flashlight, etc. I don’t imagine I’m in the minority of suburban home owners. If I were a typical person living in the States I’d probably have some kind of firearm as well. I don’t think you’d realistically need to break into more than two suburban homes to get all of the supplies considered crucial in Cataclysm.

It’s nice to see the DDA community continues to ignore physical evidence and holds fast to their own prejudices under the rallying cry of ‘realism!’ Not that any additional confirmation was needed, though.

What are you referring to?