Total noob question: stopping bleeding without bandage

How does one accomplish this? I tried to maybe Deconstruct a shirt to make like a rag or something and it says that they can’t be deconstructed. Any help much appreciated

Well you cannot deconstruct it with your bare hands. You need to use a knife or something similiar to cut it up. For instance grab a steak knife, use it, press a and a window should pop up. Then select cut up item. Select your sweater. That doesnt mean btw that you are guranteed to get rags. It depends on a few skills (Think it was survival or fabrication) You can also go into a random house and smash a bed for tons of rags. Be wary though: Rags are not that hygienic for bandage substitute.

Also use this thread in future, more people tend to read it in there: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=14.0

If you’re caught without a knife, you can craft one out of stone.

And also to be comprehensive, bleeding will stop after a while. Expect to lose between 5 and 20 hp on the wounded part though.

As far as I’ve read, cauterizing will stop bleeding. You need either a soldering iron with at least one charge or a knife and either a lighter or matchbook. It may take multiple tries, and each will cause a lot of pain, but sometimes better than the alternative.

Note that as far as I’m aware cauterizing won’t stop an infection, only bleeding.

Yeah easiest way to stop bleeding is to use a knife or scissors or whatever other cutting tool you can find on general cloth items to get rags, and then (a)ctivate the rag to use it on the bleeding body part. It’s kind of unreliable and you may need four or five rags to actually stop the bleeding. Cotton balls, bandages, first aid, and other more advanced healing items all have a much better chance to stop bleeding.

Never rely on this. I ignored bleeding on one of my later characters and bled for nearly 80 HP once. Didn’t die, but put me out of action for awhile. Impale makes me rage.

[quote=“DireBunny, post:5, topic:13328”]As far as I’ve read, cauterizing will stop bleeding. You need either a soldering iron with at least one charge or a knife and either a lighter or matchbook. It may take multiple tries, and each will cause a lot of pain, but sometimes better than the alternative.

Note that as far as I’m aware cauterizing won’t stop an infection, only bleeding.[/quote]
Not 100% on current builds, but it used to cure nasty bites if the bite hadn’t settled fully into an infection yet.