It would be a good idea if it gave you morale. I mean you can run faster than you can skate right?

Can you run at 15 miles an hour with a minimum of effort?

I don’t think so.

Using a skateboard, or any human powered vehicle for that matter, is generally faster and more energy efficient than running.

Think about: While legs do allow better movement on uneven terrain and better speed control, it is also incredibly inefficient as you have to pick it up, move it forward, place your balance on it, and repeat, with each of those steps wasting a lot of energy and providing very little lasting momentum. A wheeled device allows momentum to be maintained over a longer distance, as well as, assuming it is light enough, reducing the total amount of energy wasted by friction and excess movement, which, together, allow more of that energy to be put towards increasing speed.

And that’s not even mentioning riding downhill.

I want a rideable tricycle man bike.

Most man made vehicles that you know of are to make transport easier. If they make it harder than mankind would have just forgotten about it and destroyed it.

Rollerblades. BURN THEM

Actually instead of being a vehicle this would be something you’d wear, and would effect navigation (actually scateboards and skates would be similar as far as that’s concerned).

We’d need to track acceleration and speed directionally, also they wouldn’t work off of the specified terrain types (concrete, asphalt, building floors, maybe probably rock floors).

Actually Glyphgryph is working on a momentum-type system for running, and this would plug into that.

Skateboards/roller skates should decrease your combat efficiency, as well.

Oh wow. That could be really cool. (and possibly super clunky, but I have faith)

Having to take wider corners while running (or at least skid to a stop before changing direction) would be awesome. Dexterity could improve your turning radius while at speed. Love it.

With melee, I could see roller skates as being a plus. Extra speed while still maintaining full mobility, assuming you are good at skating.

Maybe add in a system where it is a penalty until x dexterity, and a bonus above that?

With melee, I could see roller skates as being a plus. Extra speed while still maintaining full mobility, assuming you are good at skating.

Maybe add in a system where it is a penalty until x dexterity, and a bonus above that?[/quote]

Definitely stun/knockback/knockdown. Body checking, anyone?

I was thinking running at a zombie, crouching down (so you speed up) with a machete straight out on each side, and just slicing their limbs off as you fly by.

That, or just running up and shoving those nice, hard plastic/metal wheels into their gourds.

If some sort of fatigue system was introduced (other than just “tired” which I don’t think is quite the same thing) skateboards and other small, portable vehicles would be very useful, with interesting possibilities.

That’s right, I’m thinking rollerblades while dragging a red wagon full of loot behind me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe add in a system where it is a penalty until x dexterity, and a bonus above that?[/quote]
Definitely stun/knockback/knockdown. Body checking, anyone?[/quote]
But first we need a hockey stick!

I wholeheartedly approve of smaller more portable modes of transportation. And this momentum thing sounds very interesting. So the longer I run the faster I go? Can I turn cruise control on on my feet?

As Glyphgryph outlined it to me, you are either running or walking.
Walking works like now, boring.
With running, when you take a step, you spend some time and move, but also build some momentum, so the first step probably takes the same amount of time as if you were walking, but builds some momentum, but the next step in the same direction takes less time and builds up more momentum, and so on until you reach max speed.
Above a certain speed, you start having mandatory movement, so even if you issue a different command, you’ll still move and spend turns on moving, but it will bleed off some momentum. Similarly if you’re running north and then move W, you might still move north a step, but it’ll start swinging your momenum over toward the west, and subsequent move actions to the west will redirect you in that direction. Similarly move actions in the direction opposite your direction of movement might still result in you continuing in the same direction, but would rapidly bring you to a stop, at which point you could start accelerating in the opposite direction. Hadn’t really thought about it before but some actions will likely be disabled when you’re above a certain speed.

That whole thing would work very similarly for skate type things, but the values for accelerating and turning would be different. I’d have to check, but my intuition is that acceleration/decelleration would be slower, top speed would be higher, and turning would be faster.

[quote=“drake1storm, post:14, topic:2489”]I was thinking running at a zombie, crouching down (so you speed up) with a machete straight out on each side, and just slicing their limbs off as you fly by.

That, or just running up and shoving those nice, hard plastic/metal wheels into their gourds.[/quote]

Instantly reminded me of this:

There was this one guy on rollerblades. He had a hockey stick in his hand, a big 'ole meat cleaver bolted to the blade. He was doing an easy thirty, at that speed he might have taken a neck or two. The camera saw the whole thing, the rotted arm that shot out of the sewer drain right in front of him, die poor guy back flipping into the air, coming down hard on his face, then being dragged, screaming, by his ponytail into the drain

Max Brooks, World War Z.

Anyways, I’m fine with skateboards, but you should have some penalties for falling off of one. Similar to falling off a motorbike, if not more.
I should know, the first time I broke a bone it was riding one of those cursed skateboards. A crappy, horrible russian one.
Ah, the memories. The scars.

I’d agree with everything but the turning bit. While I can turn on a dime with skates at high speeds, trying to do that with a skateboard… lets just say it is a bad idea, and you should never attempt it. I think skateboards should have a longer turning time to show for the fact of how easy it is to fall off of one IRL.

That should be implemented RIGHT after we get monocycles.