Tips, Tricks and Newb Questions: Reborn!

Thanks.

1. One case I have is a vehicle in the middle of the road at the end of a bridge. The railing doesn’t allow for turning. While it’s possible for my current 4 tile wide vehicle to get past if I ensure it’s flush with the railing when entering the bridge at the other end, I can’t get anything wider past it (like those cars I can see at the car dealer I haven’t cleared out an access to yet). If I smash the railing, will the game cause my car to get stuck if it morphs out over the edge with one tire but with 3 still on the bridge, or might it be that the game considers the car to be fine if the center point between the wheels is out of danger?
    1a. Isn’t there a way to just pull/push vehicles out of the way, at least ones that have enough wheels?

2. Yes, I tend to pick up duct tape, long strings, and batteries (although I’m looking for atomic coffee machines as well, as it seems they have a rare component in them).

3. My companion is set to stick to two steps away, which works most of the time, except when lighting fire and when the bugger decides that pulping defeated zombies is more important than fighting the ones that are incoming and thus getting in my line of fire. It could be some weird kind of panic in the fire case (he isn’t listed to have either pyromania or pyrophobia, though), but then the bugger ought to move away from the fire rather than walk two steps away, then back, then away, then around,…
    Given that he’s loaded up to capacity with the armor and weapons, I guess I can just leave him behind when I haul a new load of junk from the car on the other side of the forest I’m burning (and, in doing so, promote the passing of time for the fire).

Edit:
5. What’s up with rotweilers? The buggers freely join up with zombies to attack my character, rather than fight the zombies, get killed, and then eventually be raised as zombie dogs.

-5. Read their description carefully. Those are rot-weilers, not rotweilers :wink:
-3. Companions have troubles near some fields, hot air being one of those. Thankfully, it seems they are immune to high air temperatures so at least they cannot die because of it.

Thanks.
5. That joke’s on me then…
3. Sounds like a field thing then.

1. You can smash the railing if you want and even drive across the bridge with half of your car hanging over water without any problem, but if more than half of your car gets in deep water it will sink unless it is amphibious.
    1a. In the experimental builds you can tow other vehicles, but not in the latest stable. In the stable there is a mech suit that can push cars, but I have never tried to use it so I can’t say how useful it is.

1/1a: Thanks. I’m on stable, but hanging over the edge definitely seems like a useful possibility.

Edit:
I think I’ve found my answer to how to move blocking vehicles: repair them sufficiently to be able to move them. This ought to work reasonably frequently as blockages are generally caused by a combination of vehicles, so moving the one that’s in the best shape should often work. Later on explosives might be an option, but I’m rather short in that department currently.

Another question: Is there anything you have to use an acetylene torch for, or is an (makeshift) arc welder always an alternative? Acetylene is a limited resource, but it seem the acetylene torch provides more work per “cartridge”.

Acetylene torches can be used to cut open metal doors. When repairing vehicles, an (makeshift) arc welder or better yet, a welding rig are usually preferred do to running on a renewable power source.

Thanks. That’s exactly what I needed to know (I think: there are probably things I don’t know I need to know).

Since 10868 you can also use torches to open safes.

e: BTW, what does new main menu screen art mean?

I’ve had no need for anything but a makeshift stethoscope for safes so far, but I’ve only tacked ones in houses, but using a torch to open them is a nice option.

New question:
In a car dealer I’ve found cars on several levels and what I would guess are elevators with broken controls outside of them (I’ve also found a similar thing in an office building, leading to an underground garage). Is there a way to repair these, or are the vehicles on floors other than the ground floor useful as parts supplies only?

And a tangentially related one: Is it possible to dig ramps so that you can have underground garages in your bases (both for protection and to allow people to work on the vehicles without being subject to the outdoor temperatures)?

Edit:
A new question:
I’ve found a post office that has a significant number of safes in it. Cracking all those safes would take days given how long each one takes. The questions then are:

• Are you supposed to just go though all the safes, or are they plot/quest related such that you’re expected to only open a particular safe that a quest specifies?
  • Do these safes contain anything of value, making it worth the effort (and overheating, as it’s summer)? The real world analogy would probably be post boxes, and in most of those you’d probably find completely uninteresting letters, possibly with an occasional illicit drug delivery, which is rather boring.

no, post office safes are bad, the only safes (not gun safes you should open those if you need weapons) I usually consider opening are in bank vaults as the there safes have a chance of probability travel and time dilation cbms

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Now, “bad” is somewhat relative, as I have no way of using CMBs yet. On the other hand I’ve got a pile of fire arms I don’t really know what to do with…
A gun safe contained some carbon fiber crossbow bolts, though, but I’m using a bow…

And another question:
Is it intentional that your weapons get badly damaged by parrying even puny things?

My character has found a nodachi, but it got worn almost to the breaking point fighting giant roaches, so I eventually had to put it away and try to use fists (or, rather, my companion, as the fists rarely had any effect). It doesn’t help that my character tires extremely quickly (good for about 10 melee attacks before running out of breath, while stamina hasn’t been any issue at all with a bow), so most of the fight is just standing around dodging and waiting for stamina to recover (it did train dodge a little bit, although that’s very slow when the focus is down to single digits).

Is it an authentic Nodachi or a replica? Most of the swords you’ll find are cheap, flimsy reproductions and not actually battle ready, the description usually hints as much. They tend to fall apart real quick.

As for your stamina, make sure your not wearing anything over your face/mouth in melee combat, mouth encumbrance slows down stamina regen, as its hard to breathe. Running while in combat is also a good way to tire yourself out real quick.

Thanks.
There’s no indication that it’s anything but the real thing in the description.

How are you supposed to protect your mouth against damage if you’re not to wear protection over it? I’ve seen something about battle goggles or something like that for the eyes, but then the mouth remains unprotected, which would probably be an instakill if a skeleton juggernaut (the worst critter I’ve found so far) lands a hit there.

Edit:
Another question:
Can companions help with vehicle work, beyond muscle for lifting, or is training them in Mechanics wasted effort? I know they can help with batch manufacturing, but each vehicle task is a single task that can’t be batched.

They can disassemble and repair vehicles in corresponding zones if they have the tools. Only problem is they cannot, for some reason, deal with wheel assemblies. Or at least they couldn’t about a month ago, maybe it had been fixed already.

I don’t ever remember being hit in the mouth explicitly, just in the head in general in melee. A helmet is fine, its specifically the facial encumbrance that causes issues, like with gas masks. Using a massive sword while also not being able to breathe clearly is a recipe for exhaustion in melee.

That being said, the appropriate solution to juggernauts is to not try and get into melee range of the big bashy boi in the first place. Juggernauts may have a strength advantage, but nothing a liberal application of Firepower can’t fix. Samuel Colt continues to make all men equal, even if the blob tries otherwise.

I did enter melee range with the juggernaut only after I’ve pelted it with about 60 arrows (reusing 2-3 of them), emptying the quiver. Mr. Colt’s equalizer doesn’t work without ammo… (ironically I found out afterwards that I actually had picked up a hand gun from a zombie, so I might actually have been able to finish it off at a distance).
At that point it only took a single (good) hit to down it, though.

I also found out that if you’re really clever you can use the juggernaut to clear a path through the street. As I’m not sufficiently clever I had to settle with it turning half a wreck into spare parts…

Anyway, thanks, I’ll try to skip the survivor mask.

Thanks.
While I have no zones yet and build rather than take apart (at this stage, mech training was much about picking the closest vehicles apart as I hadn’t found any books at that stage) it will come in handy later on. I’ll probably concentrate on Fabrication for the time being, though (Cooking is already high enough to allow him to help with the pemmican).

The descriptions can be misleading on some items. I find the best way to tell what I have is to look at the material the item is made of. If it says ‘steel’ it is the real deal, ‘budget steel’ means it is a cheap copy and ‘aluminum’ means it is utter crap.

Thanks, that’s useful to know.
My nodachi is described as being made of Steel, as well as being well-made, so I believe it’s the real thing, but that, apparently, isn’t sufficient to protect it from being harmed by those terrible roaches and house spiders…
As long as I can put it aside when it gets too damaged it’s not crippling, although it may mean having to return from an expedition early to make repairs.