Thoughts on Cephalopods

Been awhile since I had tentacles, but from what I remember they were already pretty damn great in melee. Fun fact: Muay thai is also known as the art of eight limbs!

I pretty much dropped by to offer up my suggestion on a tentacle based martial art. Personally I think that the extra attacks along with any MA style you’re actually using ((Even weapon styles if I’m not mistaken)) is powerful enough, but if someone’s going to put it in I’ve got a few suggestions.

*A counter-grab that activates should a monster–you guessed it–grab you.
*The ability constrict enemies, immobilizing them and doing increased damage every turn.
*The ability to constrict multiple enemies.

The problem I think would be removing all of a squidbilly’s extra slap attacks when they’re using ‘Octopus Style’, since it already represents them using their anatomy to their advantage.

Again though, I truly think mutations should only enhance martial arts, not replace them.

I may try seeing if I can work out how to use github and have a go. Am I right in thinking that the way the code works, gear is either equippable with ALL awkward mutations or none? i.e. you couldn’t make a piece equippable by an incoveniently large ursine mutant, but not by shelled cephalopods?

We really should be focusing away from more and more gear, and instead see if one can steal code from say, the gun system, and make it so there’s just like a dozen flags which default to 0 that an armor can have. This way, a piece of equipment could be modded to pass a flag check for mutation reasons, and suddenly, every piece of equipment could have certain mutation checks, with caveats drawn for certain pieces such as power armor. A piece of equipment could be modified using its own material as a type-check for a crafting recipe, though they could mean tweaking the crafting system to accept a base material + intention, which should have been done a long time ago. (only a slight offense to devs)

What I wouldn’t give for a properly tagged item system i.e. “hat” “1” “cotton” item + cotton rags = horn capable hat.
Edit: To be clearer, it’d be nice to c&p the rating system of tools, so while a baseball cap might be 1, a balaklava might be 2. Helmets might be a different class, with similar “ranking”/tier-ing for craft-cost or usefulness scaling.

[quote=“pingpong, post:23, topic:7635”]We really should be focusing away from more and more gear, and instead see if one can steal code from say, the gun system, and make it so there’s just like a dozen flags which default to 0 that an armor can have. This way, a piece of equipment could be modded to pass a flag check for mutation reasons, and suddenly, every piece of equipment could have certain mutation checks, with caveats drawn for certain pieces such as power armor. A piece of equipment could be modified using its own material as a type-check for a crafting recipe, though they could mean tweaking the crafting system to accept a base material + intention, which should have been done a long time ago. (only a slight offense to devs)

What I wouldn’t give for a properly tagged item system i.e. “hat” “1” “cotton” item + cotton rags = horn capable hat.
Edit: To be clearer, it’d be nice to c&p the rating system of tools, so while a baseball cap might be 1, a balaklava might be 2. Helmets might be a different class, with similar “ranking”/tier-ing for craft-cost or usefulness scaling.[/quote]

You’re the one not PRing it. None taken.

Do you mean Public Relations or PRogramming? If the latter, I would like to do something to assist in anything I could.

PR= Pull requesting…

Not to derail the thread, but to be taken “seriously” all I’d need to do is code up some stuff and do a pull request? Normally I deal with significantly worse political/bureaucratic games when it comes to making changes.

Back on thread topic, Cephalopod has no ocular/intelligence traits! A quick search says that although they can have crazy vision they can also be colorblind (oh what a hilarious effect that could turn into, in ascii mode).

They get ‘insanely intelligent’ which adds something like 7 to their intelligence…

Not to derail the thread, but to be taken “seriously” all I’d need to do is code up some stuff and do a pull request? Normally I deal with significantly worse political/bureaucratic games when it comes to making changes.

Back on thread topic, Cephalopod has no ocular/intelligence traits! A quick search says that although they can have crazy vision they can also be colorblind (oh what a hilarious effect that could turn into, in ascii mode).[/quote]

Yeah, Cephalopod gets Insane DX/IN post-thresh. Colorblindness isn’t enforced in-game because it eliminates your ability to tell a bush from a counter, a road from grass, etc. Try out John Candlebury’s Wraith (make sure it’s not Sunny or Clear if you’re outdoors) for a taste of what World of Grey plays like.

I guess the wiki needs to be updated then

Nvm they’re in the post-threshold mutations.

PRs are pretty easy, and KA101 was particularly helpful in getting me set up to do one. It didn’t get in for flavor reasons, but he still helped me along in developing and getting set up. :slight_smile: You just need a little free time to code really.

^this

The team are really helpful. And with no prior coding experience I’ve already had a very minor PR implemented and seem to have the greenlight for a couple more minor additions.