Thermos

A makeshift thermos should work about as well as your average gas station travel mug. Sure, it’ll keep things warm longer, but after a couple hours your coffee is still going to be barely warm.

I think for the distinction between the two to mean anything, the uses for a thermos should be more pronounced to begin with. Right now it sounds like a way to keep a morale boost from hot drinks for longer. What if ice labs made liquids in your inventory freeze, and by keeping them in a thermos you can have access to them for longer. Same thing should apply for the dead of winter. Most buildings won’t have any sort of heating except for whatever fire pit you may have, so things should freeze if not protected.

Yeah, I think we could have both.

You could try making one by taping plastic bags to a glass bottle. The lid could be a problem, though a loose cork inside it and a flap of plastic bags hinged with a strip of tape would both help. a string and a notch could keep the lid-flap tight… It would be awkward to use and bulky…

P.S.
Having a hot thermos of pure water and another of hot soup sound like something that would really improve travelling. Just the feeling of home comforts while out in the world… There would also be some potential for medicinal benefits… If you put a hot rock in a thermos it would probably stay boiling for much longer… Consider also that a thermos can keep things cold. Between heat-absorbing chemical reactions and mechanical refrigeration, not to mention ‘cold spots’, it should be possible to chill things. You could keep an ice-pack in there to treat swelling and pain, ice cream to treat depression, liquid nitrogen to enhance coilguns…
There really needs to be some endothermic reactions, ice production, and an ice-cream recipe…

+1

There really should be a good number of find-only things.

I don’t know just how long a good thermos can keep stuff hot (never used one much), but I will point out that food (soup/stew/etc) won’t begin to go bad until it cools below 60C. So it’s also a way to keep that Woods Soup for longer.

Due to the way we implement hot food, that would automatically happen as well.
Foods are “fresh” for a short time after creation then they go to “normal”, then they spoil.
If they have a special flag, “fresh” gets described as “hot”, and it gives a morale bonus.
If we extend the duration of “hot”, it would work by keeping the age of the food from advancing, which is what determines all of these things.

Wait… does that mean that using hotplates on my soup will refresh it?

Not so much “refresh” it as “stop the decay for a time”. If it’s already rotten, it won’t help. But it pauses further decay while it’s hot.

which is more meaningful to gameplay than the morale boost.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:28, topic:6115”]Due to the way we implement hot food, that would automatically happen as well.
Foods are “fresh” for a short time after creation then they go to “normal”, then they spoil.
If they have a special flag, “fresh” gets described as “hot”, and it gives a morale bonus.
If we extend the duration of “hot”, it would work by keeping the age of the food from advancing, which is what determines all of these things.[/quote]

Can’t wait for a thermos item then.

+1
Thermoses are my favorite items IRL
Every time it’s winter, just get one and just chug from it.
The warmth…