The Villain - Quest

Hey! Its that guy I totally forgot about and that said he’d be active and stop lurking! Yeah… skipping that.

[size=8pt]Added note: This is entirely operating on the whole “humans most dangerous thing in zombie apocalypse” gag.[/size]

I think it would be nice to have some sort of adversary type of character for you to go after. Some dangerous individual that is as learned and tested as many “mid-to-late” game survivors are. I bring this up because my Frail power-armored character had next to 0 resistance versus half a dozen bandits. It seemed a bit disappointing that after becoming the big bad new marshal there wasn’t some infamous big bad evil dude/dudette to take on, but instead a bunch idiots who really think a nailed bat is going to dent sci-fi uber-steel. I say all this from a desire to add a legendary kill to the story of my characters. I always liked it when Dwarf Fortress baddies rambled on about their favored kills (despite them not not usually being all that tough.

What I’m particularly thinking of is a bit of a different style from DF, however. Something like:

“This one is a real treat. We’ve got the scum of scum roaming around these parts lately. After getting recent reports of missing persons we managed to figure out that they’re actually being taken, and we also figured out where the kidnapper is, and unfortunately, what happens. This one is known to toy with people for twisted pleasure, and ends them off when it grows tiresome. The few guys we sent to make this world a better place and take 'em out only managed to become mess on the pavement. Now, we’ll need you to start cleaning.”

“Our scavengers have been terrorized by a repeat killer as of late. As grim as it may sound, killing in itself isn’t all that entirely noteworthy. What is noteworthy is how the bastard likes to play. The disgusting piece of crap likes to take people apart and throw the pieces all over the place. Our people can’t keep coming across our mangled men during their runs. Its bad for morale. So I believe its about time for the bastard to become the toy, and to find a new playmate.”

Rather than the title “Bandit” or “Villain” I think it would be more interesting to see them get special treatment. The first one could be the “Torturer”, “Twisted”, “Sadist”. The second one can easily be the "Killer"or “Terrorist.”

If this gets any traction I would be completely willing to write some more gender-ambiguous atrocities.

Mechanically, this quest type is basically the excuse to spawn some well-equipped NPCs. However, this doesn’t mean to simply load them up head to toe with choice cuts. It would be better for them to just be given a particular edge, so the survivor can play against the villain’s weakness. Basically a class system. Like:

"Techie"
Has CBMs installed (particularly combative ones).
Either they spawn with turrets or have the capability of placing them (like scientist’s manhacks). Spawn Anti-materiel/milspec or place regular.
Weak equipment overall.

"Gunner"
Better shooting skills. Only one that could spawn with launchers.
Mutated movement speed. Gotta move quick in gunfights.
Weaker defense.

"Wall"
Power armor all the way. Maybe only one to spawn with any power armor at all/better than basic.
Some way to heal, such as mutation or injector (although maybe not allowed to drop this one.).
Weaker offense. Only one that could spawn with no range.

[size=8pt](Added note, maybe when asking for advice the quest giver will hint you about these classes. Will write if any interest.)[/size]

The idea is that even despite the big baddie needing to be tough, I think it would be bit to simple to just kill one guy and get loaded up completely. It may be ideal to limit this type of quest to only being given once from a faction. If factions are too be as rare as refugee camps, the good loot should be far and few in between enough, I think. There’s also no worry of newbie survivors just randomly running into one of these guys, considering they’d only spawn when given the quest.

Alright, I’ve tossed in my idea. Hopefully it sticks.

If you really want something like this in, and you aren’t familiar with programming, I can take a look at adding a looping quest at the end of the Old Guard Rep quest line. I’m not sure about the text briefs but if you can give me a thorough description of the enemies I can put in a random generation from the list.

Monster factions should be compatible with NPCs but I haven’t verified it. So, spawning NPCs and monsters on the same team may be off for now. I’d suggest going with a ‘gang leader’ for now. CBMs and mutations aren’t supported for NPCs.

So, for your encounters I need something like:
Mission: Eliminate Gang
1x Gang Leader
1-2x THUG (These are existing NPC classes found in data/json/npcs)
1-3x SCAVENGER
0-1x SOLDIER
0-2x BOUNTY_HUNTER
Spawn in random street

Define 'Gang Leader’
stats
STR: 12-16
INT: 10-14
AGI: 10-16
PER: 8-12

For each of the below fields I’d need a list of all possible items they might have (picked at random)
SHIRT: t-shirt, light survivor armor, heavy survivor armor…
GLOVES: light survivor gloves, heavy survivor gloves, gloves leather…
PANTS
SHOES
COAT
MASKS
EYES
HAT
EXTRA (Backpacks and misc)
(pick two primary weapon skills and list all weapons possible)
PISTOL
RIFLE

Repeat for each scenario (Group of ‘terrorists’, ‘sadist’ hiding in house, band of cannibals, whatever). I’d prefer for things to lean serious/realistic as opposed to humorous.

The offer is open to anyone who wants to add a scenario to the list… but I’d like to have at least 3 scenarios before adding it so that it isn’t extremely repetitive.